Alton Towers News

Dan9

Well Alton Towers is hosting an adrenaline week this week, which I will be attending on Saturday and Sunday! According the website, Alton will also be opening its gates for February Half Term, but without the full line up. Details on the "We love Winter" page on the Alton Website.Discuss Alton Towers News here!

• 3 months later...

News from the weekend was that Nemesis had a rather large breakdown, something to do with its lifthill. So what did alton do? They opened up Oblivion a month early for everyone. :P The park also hit by popularity for its Hullaballoo event have added Hex to its available ride list.AirNemesisThe BladeHexDuel - The Haunted House Strike BackHaunted HollowSpinball WhizzerThe BeastieSquirrel NuttyRiverbank Eye-SpyBerry Bish BashDoodle Doo DerbyOld MacDonald's Tractor RideOld MacDonald's Singing BarnThere's Something in the Dung HeapNot bad for Ā£15 actually :)

*sigh* I'm all up for Alton Towers getting decent themeing, ala. mutiny bay - but isnt it time Thorpe Park saw a bit of TLC. AT has chaved a great new logo, great website, great new area which what is shaping up be excellently themed. I'm just asking why alton?Thorpe Park is crying out for this, plus its got a semi-established pirate theme going on around the Detonator P4D area. Why cant they just refit Calypso Quay - ive got great layout in my mind of how it could look - I'm sure the park could do the same. Its just frustrating - thorpe have some class ride, but is totally let down by the atmosphere. I took completely anti-fanboys to thorpe park, and although on the outside they are all like 'thorpe park is safe cos the rides are big', I ask them which is better disney or thorpe and they come back with disney, I ask why, and they say because the rides are themed. At the moment, if its not fright nights on my mind, if I think of thorpe park I just sigh at the potential I has. I would happily give up the 09' coaster for the money to put into to touching up areas, installing great themeing details, defining areas, refurbishing buildings and creating a great new entrance. Oh and spending some money on the marketing and advertising side of things. This is no longer about the towers, crap. Ok Loving mutiny bay people.

Why alton? Because its the biggest money maker with the biggest potential. Having a proper resort is a hell of a lot more profitable (and inviting) than creating an atmosphere at thorpe. Thorpes gone too far into teenage thrilling ways to bother with theming or atmosphere. Its target audience dont want it, and they wont make much extra from the expenditure on it.

if I think of thorpe park I just sigh at the potential I has.

And to think how Chessington fanboys feel. Much much more potential than thorpe, and can go to a minature alton route. But alas, I doubt it'd happen [although merlin have upped budgets so much that the management are pissing themselves with excitement]. We've only had Ā£8m invested in the past 4 years f**ksake!

But the hotel is an investment for the future just as much as any ride or attraction is. I see your point and I agree full-heartedly with it. Thorpe comes out of its investment over the last eight years fantastically. Who would have thought at the start of the decade there would be 4 new rollercoasters, 8 Flat rides, a water ride and several touch ups and rethemes. We could discuss how worthless it is without an "atmosphere" but the fact is the investment has been there.Alton on the other hand is in second place, again with three new rollercoasters, 3 major rethemes, a dark ride and a flat ride. To counter that however has been the removal of Dynamo, Boneshaker and The Black Hole which had been at the park for some time and not really replaced by anything. On the other hand the resort is starting to take shape with Cariba Creek and the Golf as well as Mutiny Bay which looks to be the best themed attraction since Hex in 2000.Then theres Chessington. It really has taken the brunt of the other two parks invesment with one new rollercoaster, a major retheme which totally trashed Bubbleworks, theming destroyed on Dragon Falls, the continuing decay of Runaway Train, Safari Skyway and Rattlesnake, the removal of Samurai and Rodeo leaving teenagers in the family with very little to do and a poor attempt at injecting life into Vampire. The only real success has been the resurgance of the Zoo and Dragons Fury. To be honest the park that needs something right now is Chessington.

Thorpe Park is crying out for this, plus its got a semi-established pirate theme going on around the Detonator P4D area. Why cant they just refit Calypso Quay - ive got great layout in my mind of how it could look - I'm sure the park could do the same. Its just frustrating - thorpe have some class ride, but is totally let down by the atmosphere. I took completely anti-fanboys to thorpe park, and although on the outside they are all like 'thorpe park is safe cos the rides are big', I ask them which is better disney or thorpe and they come back with disney, I ask why, and they say because the rides are themed. At the moment, if its not fright nights on my mind, if I think of thorpe park I just sigh at the potential I has. I would happily give up the 09' coaster for the money to put into to touching up areas, installing great themeing details, defining areas, refurbishing buildings and creating a great new entrance. Oh and spending some money on the marketing and advertising side of things.

If thats the sort of thing you want then I'm sure you will be impressed on your next visit, I'm not quite sure what youve seen/heard but from what ive seen many rides have been repained such as Carousel, Storm in a teacup, fungle safari cars, octopus garden rides, Colossus trains, samurais platform, rumba rapids, vortex restraints, the Tidal wave and Beach pools.Theming has been fixed around the park such as Colossus madusa, inferno smoke soon hopefully and the new non faded lava chippings around inferno. Buildings have been refurbished, every toilet in the park has been refurbished with the exception of the ones in Canada Creek, food stalls have been repainted etc to bring them up to scratch. For the marketing side, I'm not sure what sort of things your after, thyeve done a pretty good job the past couple of years.

I think Marc is right, but Instead of entirely getting rid of the new coaster, id put it back a year or 2, and use 2008 and 2009 and refurbishment years, tidy up everything, sort of Project Link, clean the queuelines and everything that Marc and Seb said (even though they've already been done, that should be just the beginning I feel). I think they should clean up Ranger County too, its had barely any care for a while, mainly Fungle Safari. The Characters and dissapearing each year, and its becoming very stale. They need to replace/bring back the characters, Clean them, things like that. Every week I also think the park should really go round and do things like scrape the gum of queuelines and things like the Colossus gum tree, instead of leaving things like that until the next closed season as by th end of the year, everything is looking worn and tattered. As with Altons new map, its good, the old one was probably better IMO, this one doesnt really give as much path info and directions, which is what Alton needs, its very easy to get lost between areas. The New ones more about illustrations of the rides and making them stand out. Thus sort of irredicating the thought of it being a map. But its still OK I s'pose.

If thats the sort of thing you want then I'm sure you will be impressed on your next visit, I'm not quite sure what youve seen/heard but from what ive seen many rides have been repained such as Carousel, Storm in a teacup, fungle safari cars, octopus garden rides, Colossus trains, samurais platform, rumba rapids, vortex restraints, the Tidal wave and Beach pools.

Ive been. lovin the new bins. :o I think we have different ideas on what I call improvements. mum always said I have expensive taste. Never mind.Lovin the new map for alton, just the sort of thing I wanted to see really.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought you might want to know that Alton Towers changed their website todayTake a peekhttp://www.altontowers.com/pages/homeI think it's a massive improvment but whats with the pipes!Alton Towers will also be launching a new advert which will show for the first time on ITV1 on Saturday evening. The park will also be going smoke free with smoing areas dotted around the park! :lol:

Today is Oblivion's tenth birthday.. Happy Birthday Oblivion you amazing old thing. Unfortunately you cannot celebrate your tenth birthday over and over and over and over again.However you can call the Oblivion hotline to wish it a happy day. Unofrtunately they must point out they do not offer birthday cake at Alton Towers. ;)HAPPY BIRTHDAY OBLIVION

• 1 month later...