Alton Towers News

Dan9

I'm against you there. It's down to Alton to provide the red carpet if they want people to enjoy the magical days out. Tussauds opened it as a theme park in the late 70's. Up until then, apart from several yearly events at the park, the volume of traffic seen today never went up those roads in the 20th century. Alton may be the worst for traffic upto the park, but Chessington is probably second worst, surely we've all seen the queues on the main road sometimes?

I think some people on here are way too used to the Thorpe sucks, Alton Rules attitude.

More like we're all used to the "Thorpes rules suck, let's put up with it constantly, my name's Muggins" rule.

If any of you have driven through Alton, its not very nice.

It's so narrow, and that's what gets me. You can't even pass a lorry without pulling in somewhere. If Staffordshire Council won't fund a bypass road the least they can do is take down the stone walls along the entire road and widen it somehow? If they can't even do that then I really wouldn't wanna live in Staffordshire.

To summarise my opinions on the above posts:

• Fasttrack is retarded.
  • You can't shout on a forum, they're just words so get over it.
  • It is the responsibility of the council to provide new infrastructure, in my view at least. This is however expensive so their apprehension is understandable, but really it's the right thing to do. Those villages are poo to drive through, an accident waiting to happen and it must drive the local yokels up the wall.
  • Traffic outside on the A243 is bad in the mornings regardless of whether or not the theme park is open.
  • Alton should be granted permission to build this ride and probably will be. With the state of the economy at the moment they'd be silly to reject it.

It is the responsibility of the council to provide new infrastructure, in my view at least. This is however expensive so their apprehension is understandable, but really it's the right thing to do. Those villages are poo to drive through, an accident waiting to happen and it must drive the local yokels up the wall.

Well tbh its an accident thats already happened and killed somebody, yet I see no changes being made the roads. Theres nothing that can be done really, the roads don't have much room for expansion so this relief road is potentially the only option, and could indeed be life saving.

I'm against you there. It's down to Alton to provide the red carpet if they want people to enjoy the magical days out. Tussauds opened it as a theme park in the late 70's.

I'm being pedantic, but Tussauds bought the Towers in 1990. =DI wouldn't worry too much about this, the objections have hardly anything valid. This coaster will be quieter than corkscrew, less visable, and it's even stated in the report that the resort predicts a fall in gate figures after an initial rise in 2010.Most of the objections seem to be unfounded, yet they also can be a genuine concern for people. Remember the council has the job of taking into consideration both points of view.

• 2 weeks later...

The car park prices at the park have gone up by Ā£1 again, although this is the first increase for several years. Read this from Towers Times:Valentines Day 2009 brought with it yet more financial burdens for regular day visitors to Alton Towers Theme Park as the parking charge rose from Ā£4 to Ā£5 per car, per day inspite of the fact that the charge is said to be "nominal" - which is defined as being "insignificantly small".The charge, which has been criticized by many, has not risen for several years. However, such an increase in times of financial difficulties seems, on first glance, both unhelpful and unecessary. The parking charge was introduced in the early part of the decade, and is, based on occupancy of 3 per car, adding around Ā£1.50 to each guests day visit - on top of ticket price rises already since Scarefest 2008. This is in stark contrast to the FREE car parking at Legoland Windsor, Thorpe Park and Chessington all of which have far superior public transport connections.As plans for a relief road stall, and public transport connections to the park continue to be very limited (and relitavely costly) compared to many other leading theme parks, the increased charges will be guaranteed to leave Alton Towers' day visitors with a glum expression come ride close time and the queue for the payment machines.It remains to be seen how the money will be re-invested into Alton's transport infrastructure, if at all.Annual Pass Holders and Hotel Guests continue to park free of charge.They should reduce it or ditch it altogether, or even better, lower the price for bigger groups.In other Alton news, the new Skyride cars are currently being put in, and look fantastic and very colourful!Clickie: http://towersnerd.com/gallery/image.php?id...3&width=528

• 2 weeks later...

Some new information about the 2009 season has appeared on various forums now.Sharkbait Reef and Cloud Cuckoo Land are the two new additions for 2009.Posted ImagePosted ImageUg Swinger has been relocated to Cloud Cuckoo Land and rethemed into a giant toadstool, and given the name Twirling Toadstool. The Cred Street Playground has also been renamed Wobble World.The Skyride has recieved a refurbishment and all the gondolas have been replaced with a brand new fleet of multicoloured gondolas.Posted ImageThe 2009 Map can also be found by clicking here.Sources: Altontowers.com, TowersTimes, TowersAlmanac.

Here are the benefits for Alton Towers:Why not combine your Theme Park day out with a splash in Cariba Creek Waterpark? Save 20% off entry, to book please call 0871 222 9903 and quote 'Merlin Annual Pass' and state your unique Annual Pass number. Annual Pass holders get to enter the park before the general public at 9.00am for Early Ride Times on selected rides Free parking at Alton Towers Theme Park 20% off eating and shoppingIt doesn't say anything about a hotel discount but I always thought it was 20% off if there was one.

Ignore my last post, I've just discovered another page on the site...Enjoy a hotel stay like no other at either the Alton Towers Hotel or Splash Landings. From fabulous flying machines to wacky water features, where cocktails at the bar transfer to beauty cocktails in the spa; where an informal, relaxing ambience encourages everyone to let their hair down and have a laugh; where a shared experience becomes a great memory.With 20% off stays*, choose between the quirky Alton Towers Hotel and the tropical Splash Landings Hotel, for a truly extraordinary experience.To book your stay call 0871 222 9903 and quote ā€˜Annual Pass Holderā€™ and state your unique Annual Pass number on your card.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update from Towers Nerd is online now.New Skyride gondola's in action across the valley.A little bit of Cloud Cuckoo Land.Personally I'm loving these news Skyride gondola's, the old ones were in desperate need of change and its looking fantastic and vibrant now.Cloud Cuckoo Land looks nice and children friendly and its good seeing Alton keeping the smaller bits of the park up to date too, and not just the coasters.Thoughts anyone? :)

• 2 weeks later...

The future of the YourDay system at Alton Towers seems to not be very good, it has yet to open this year and the company have now gone into liquidation.

To All Customers, Vendors and Creditors of YourDay, Inc.:Please be advised that on March 31, 2009, the Essex Superior Court for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts issued an Order Appointing Craig Jalbert of Verdolino & Lowey, P.C., 124 Washington St., Foxboro, MA 02035, as the Receiver of YourDay, Inc. to take control of YourDay's assets and liquidate them for the benefit of its creditors. If you have any questions concerning the Receivership, please call 508-596-6203 or direct an e-mail to YourDay@vlpc.com. We will try to respond within 24 hours.

No more YourDay at Alton Towers?