Alton Towers News

Dan9

Problem is, announcing closure without any signs of it being actually replaced means everything is all up in the air...

Especially if SW8 has actually been delayed/cancelled as a result of Smiler's crash... It's all a bit opposite of what you'd think a park would want to try and do what with all the negativity surrounding it since the incident...

Problem is, announcing closure without any signs of it being actually replaced means everything is all up in the air...

Especially if SW8 has actually been delayed/cancelled as a result of Smiler's crash... It's all a bit opposite of what you'd think a park would want to try and do what with all the negativity surrounding it since the incident...

I do agree with you, I just can't see them spending all that money to remove it without real reason but I guess we will see in a few months time

Your exact words were "the coasters don't have the appeal for me... It was support rides like The Flume and Hex that made it"

So unless you didn't really believe what you were saying, your post as you know was stating how your main draw to Towers was namely Hex & The Flume and you care little for their major rides bar 2. Which can't be true when all the rides they're shutting were in a rubbishy state anyway.

Who are you to tell me which rides I do/don't enjoy?  For me personally, I enjoy Hex a lot more than I enjoy rides like Air and Rita, so it is one of the draws to the park for me.

The rollercoasters at Alton Towers are, absolutely, the bread and butter of the park. To say otherwise is almost incredulous. However, The Flume was most certainly not filler. It may have been old, past it and in a right state, but it often had queues of over 45 minutes on even medium days... well over an hour on busy July heatwave occasions!

Log Flumes are one of very few rides that the whole family, from gran to the youngest child, could enjoy... I hope they have plans for a replacement.

You try and tell my four year old daughter and other young children that The Flume is terrible, they will beg to differ. Regardless of everybody's opinions on the ride quality, it DID bring something to the table and will be a fairly big loss.

Edit: And while I think about it, she also really enjoyed the driving school and to a lesser extent Charlie. The only one she wasn't that keen on was Hex.

It just goes to show, what the adults enjoy and consider important don't always reflect a child's point of view. Almost all of these closures, especially all together is a BIG problem. The youngsters are just as important and they are taking quite a big hit with this.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Flume rides are pretty much part and parcel of any theme park...

They aren't the main draw, but they just allow 90% of all guests to ride it, it's all good...

IF we end up with a Chiapas style flume instead, then yay, not that those restraints are 1) that comfy, and 2) still have issues having people jump out...

Flume rides are pretty much part and parcel of any theme park...

They aren't the main draw, but they just allow 90% of all guests to ride it, it's all good...

IF we end up with a Chiapas style flume instead, then yay, not that those restraints are 1) that comfy, and 2) still have issues having people jump out...

See that logic I could follow. A traditional, ubiquitous ride updated across all parks. No doubt Merlin would get a hefty discount if they did 3 at once. And definitely take longer than a closed season to install. Would love for that to be the end result. 

If this vicious but fairly realistic rumour does turn out to be true, I'm wondering if there is a back bone plan to quickly reopen all the SBNO rides bar Flume & Ripsaw?

Ideally I'm hoping there won't be any closer next year but that's unlikely especially with loggers closure and rumoured flume one adding up. There is no smoke without fire.

Should flume be gone for good, I just hope a new flume like ride is fastracked for 2017 whether that be a Mack or Intamin one like Chiapas (which would be great).

They do talk garbage majority of the time, but it could be a good thing them featuring the potential ride closures as many more people will contact the park saying they think it is disgusting, prompting the park to think twice IF they are planning on closing some or all of these rides in 2016. Alton do seem to be a park that listen, they have reverted altered opening times in the past and scrapped Blade's removal due to many complaints just to name a few.

Whether they are "must-rides" or not, rides SBNO or being removed is never a good thing. I can't say I went to Alton in 2014 to specifically ride Charlie & The Chocolate Factory and Hex - but I was glad that I did ride both of them, and they added a bit of variation to the day - plus they were both inside which helped greatly considering the god awful weather. Six rides unavailable is quite a chunk of the line up - I am intrigued as to what the map will say, I guess it will just pretend they don't exist!

2016 is going to be a very interesting year for the public and fanbois alike going to Merlin parks. 

• 1 month later...