Alton Towers News

Dan9

^Curious to know why you say Air is more successful than Nemesis?

I agree with you in that it's successful and even iconic (much more than enthusiasts give it credit for sure). But however I look at it, Nemesis is just more successful in every way?

Ā 

Nemesis is a better ride for sure. But outside of the coaster enthusiast bubble, Air gets all the acclaim, at least from my circles. Still gets the queues and the attention in park publications.Ā 

Nemesis is a better ride for sure. But outside of the coaster enthusiast bubble, Air gets all the acclaim, at least from my circles. Still gets the queues and the attention in park publications.

Ah fair enough. In my experiences, Nemesis and Air have been the two favourites outside the enthusiast world. I was more thinking of it from the brand as a whole, which has always seemed to have been pushed more than Air's, but I guess that's only natural from the huge enthusiast following it has.

My impression is that Air is a forgotten oddball whereas Nemesis and Oblivion are the most famed to the average person. I guess it shows how varied people's experiences are, and that there's no such thing as 'the average guest' and what matters or not. Air is well loved as it is, but truth be told it was never ever properly finished.

Ā 

Whether this new idea is an ideal improvement is something else, it could be but it's certainly an attempt to skirt the park's real issues.

I went to Alton this summer with my friend (yes he was the foreign one who I talked about in The Derren Brown topic) who had never been before. I explained the basics of all of the big 6 and he wasn't excited for nemesis, th13teen,Rita or Oblivion. He just wanted to go on air. He loved air and we went on it 4 times.

My point is that the concept of flying always seems a unique thing which gets people excited. If you are out of theme park circles, you won't have heard of a flying coaster and therefore the concept will be attracting.

As someone who's never been to Towers, Air has always been the one ride I've really had the interest in ever since I was young(er) and before I'd even been to Thorpe Park, Rage might not even have been a thing by that point, so it's hardly as though I was bored of other 'thrilling' coasters, as I potentially hadn't even been on one yet!

Ā 

The thought of my first experience on Air being one laden with a gimmick makes me all kinds of sad as Air got all the hype from me before I even acknowledged Nemesis' existence.

You're not alone, when we went last year the first ride we headed to was Air, although Nemesis is the better ride, Air is unique and we'd already been on Inferno more times than we could remember prior to going.

My wife also said she would go on it next time but she can't do VR, it makes her incredibly sick very quickly due to her eyes, so I hope the VR part is optional, I.e. you goto left station is you want VR, right if you don't etc. Otherwise I'm sure we won't be the only people not going on it (I'm not too good with VR either thanks to a childhood eye injury).

The throughput would be halved with VR. I got a VR headset for Christmas and it takes 20 seconds to put on and adjust the size. Also, the headset is clear for me, but not my dad. Every eye differs. Correctly focusing the Vr headset is had and fiddly too. So focusing the lenses will add even more time. I know air has a dual loading station but this will damage the throughput.

Air already stands for Arial Inversion Roller Coaster.

Ā 

I believe that this is nothing more than a long-standing myth creating by enthusiasts many years ago!

Ā 

---

Ā 

Looking at some previous Merlin renames (Rita, Sonic Spinball, X, Detonator: Bombs Away, etc.), they've stuck with the key name of the ride's old name. Ā And given the Galactica trademark, I think 'Air Galactica' is very much a possible name. Ā If not, then I expect it to just be Galactica. Ā Ā