Port Aventura

Con

Looking forward to your TR James!

Given there's at least 2-3 other members I can think of who loved Baco, and the reviews I've read of it, I'm beginning to think that TPM attracts some sadists, as well as theme park enthusiasts! :o  

(Awaits comments labelling me some sort of hypocrite since I enjoy Saw... :-P )

Looking forward to your TR James!

Given there's at least 2-3 other members I can think of who loved Baco, and the reviews I've read of it, I'm beginning to think that TPM attracts some sadists, as well as theme park enthusiasts! :o  

(Awaits comments labelling me some sort of hypocrite since I enjoy Saw... :-P )

Surely a mathematician such as yourself proposes to the notion that there's always a small proportion of every group that doesn't follow the same mental patterns as the majority?

Surely a mathematician such as yourself proposes to the notion that there's always a small proportion of every group that doesn't follow the same mental patterns as the majority?

That's more edging on the side of Statistics / Psychology; pure mathematician all the way!! ;)

As a mathematician, I wouldn't propose there's 'always' a small proportion anyways, far too strong a claim to make.  Would more go with 'most likely'... :P

Furius Baco is awful...Its rough, poorly designed, dull and it's only attraction is its stupid speed...however unlike a comfortable 60MPH Rita, 84MPH is too fast with no hill to nullify the speed, and instead just takes corners at 80MPH with a rough wing rider design. 

Concept is excellent, but the whole thing in hindsight should have been rethought. 

Its not comfortable, the Queueline is just...well...switchback's on a mega scale...as well as loud because of its echo inducing indoor queue section. 

Its also a shame almost all effects no longer work in the Pre Show, not forgetting the clear area just in front of the Pre Show area which was originally meant to be themed as part of the scientists house, but instead just concrete and metal...mmm...almost goes hand in hand with Merlin's shipping container attractions!

Furius Baco is awful...Its rough, poorly designed, dull and it's only attraction is its stupid speed...however unlike a comfortable 60MPH Rita, 84MPH is too fast with no hill to nullify the speed, and instead just takes corners at 80MPH with a rough wing rider design. 

Concept is excellent, but the whole thing in hindsight should have been rethought. 

Rita... Comfortable? I have sore shoulders for two days after riding it!

I agree that Baco is poorly designed, but it's still fun! I liked it, but I was at the front.

I've never been to port aventura, but is seriously on my list of places to go as it's so practical being in a holiday resort that it can actually be part of a summer holiday...

baco looks amazing though, I'm sure one ride won't do any harm, I mean I love rita and stealth, so how bad can it really be... I do find saw and Colossus (although not really on the front row of Colossus) very uncomfortable with the roughness!

Trust me...Shambhalla is smooth, and in fact far too smooth, you cannot even hear it as it goes round unless you are right under the track, Furius Baco is just rough...but each to their own, because I love Stampida, so that contradicts everything I say about roughness...but I love a Wooden Roller Coaster!

I've never been to port aventura, but is seriously on my list of places to go as it's so practical being in a holiday resort that it can actually be part of a summer holiday...

baco looks amazing though, I'm sure one ride won't do any harm, I mean I love rita and stealth, so how bad can it really be... I do find saw and Colossus (although not really on the front row of Colossus) very uncomfortable with the roughness!

It's rather apt that the Baco trains are themed as barrels because the ride is akin to being locked in a barrel and thrown down a hill. It's been mentioned that being in a certain seat at a certain time of day on a certain day of the week on a certain month of the year can give an enjoyable ride but thats not how the majority ride roller coasters. The Spanish love it but then half of them haven't woken up till gone 9pm, hence the long opening hours. I also think the Spanish mullet gives excellent protection against Baco's jerkiness and shakiness.

Oh ye of little faith...

Most parks can be done as part of a summer holiday, though my version of a summer holiday (I.e. Coaster Road-trip) probably differs slightly from most people's versions...

Who needs beaches when there's creds to get?

Not sure I agree rita is Comfortable, both hurt in different ways - for me id rarther do Baco - the ride is so intense and insane its worth the pain! 

Its surprising how much more intense the launch feels than Stealths but is only a few mph faster. 

Not sure I agree rita is Comfortable, both hurt in different ways - for me id rarther do Baco - the ride is so intense and insane its worth the pain! 

Its surprising how much more intense the launch feels than Stealths but is only a few mph faster.

This is completely true. The launch and the intensity of the ride is absolutely amazing, and the final twist feels good too. These elements of the ride make it a truly extroadinary experience hence me riding it 9 times in 4 days. I couldn't stop myself from going back on :)

Imagine the difference between Stealth and the likes of TTD/Kingda Ka, even if the acceleration is 'slower'...

This is completely true. The launch and the intensity of the ride is absolutely amazing, and the final twist feels good too. These elements of the ride make it a truly extroadinary experience hence me riding it 9 times in 4 days. I couldn't stop myself from going back on :)

I heard lobotomies could do that, particularly as Baco gives them out for free.  ;)

I just cannot agree...Rita is by no means smooth but its damn smoother than Furius Baco that is just fast...nothing to it...really nothing to it.

I must be different, Baco just feels fast at the launch, not acceleration like Stealth, I much prefer Stealth, Furius just feels like its rips you apart in 2.5 seconds, rather than Stealth's glide into the launch. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Honest questions has anyone experienced PA's Horror mazes as I will be there in 2 weeks with DGC, just wondering if any of you highly rated them?

Also when I get there what happens with rides. Do they adopt a staggered opening system or do all of the rides open at 10am. Plus we are getting the Unlimited Express pass, usually how busy are the queues for these lanes. One final question, which ride is best to try first, in any of your experieces??

Much appreciated :P

Honest questions has anyone experienced PA's Horror mazes as I will be there in 2 weeks with DGC, just wondering if any of you highly rated them?

Also when I get there what happens with rides. Do they adopt a staggered opening system or do all of the rides open at 10am. Plus we are getting the Unlimited Express pass, usually how busy are the queues for these lanes. One final question, which ride is best to try first, in any of your experieces??

Much appreciated :P

No idea on the mazes, but they're European so will probably be decent by the standards people set out...

Staggered openings occur a LOT, it's awful... Baco, Tutuki Splash and Sesame Street open from opening, then the likes of Khan and Shambhala at around 10:30-11:00, then the rest of the park from about Midday...

The Fastrack queue when I went last year was never ever busy, even on a weekend...

As for rides, at first just follow what's open in the park as it opens, as you'll be walking straight onto these things anyway (bar Hurakan Condor, so maybe aim to get there for opening)... A BIG suggestion is to check when Templo del Feugo opens for the day, and then arrive about 30 minutes prior to that to ensure you get on the first showing... That does have Express, but even with that you can end up waiting a long time, best to get it done quickly, even if it is amazing...

I went over summer when hours were 10-midnight and in one case 10-4am.

Khan and baco usually open at 10, so I would reccomend going to them first, however the express lines are always tiny anyway and you are on within 5 mins(bar temple del Fuego which we waited at least an hour for with express). Shambhala usually opens around 11am along with the water rides and then hurakan condor opens at around 12pm so I would reccomend getting there early as the queue builds up extremely quickly and sometimes they only run one of five sides on a busy day... However there is single rider on hurakan condor if needs be. Temple del Fuego was awful, the fire scene was good but no where near worth the wait, it was so slow moving with fastrack(and the fastrack line was big...) so I can't imagine what it was like without fastrack. If you don't have time, really don't bother with it as it's all in Spanish anyway so it's impossible to understand(although the storyline is clear but what the lady is saying really is not).

Hope this helps, opening times probably won't be the same on the day but you can check on the many queue boards around the park. Portaventura is my favourite theme park yet and I highly suggest doing Shambhala in the dark as it's brilliant!

One final note, some rides may close early, especially including baco which closed at 10:30 on a 4am night. Think it might be to prepare for the fireworks and parade but unsure. Everything can be done easily with express and the park really has a great atmosphere! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :D

Is it bad that it's the ride me and EC are most looking forward to haha! :/

Oh Furius baco :wub:

It's an experience I can tell you that. You will either love it or hate it, and most people are haters(except the Spanish who love everything!). I am a fan myself, despite it being very very rough, the speed and intensity of the ride is amazing. However, no amount of bracing will prepare you for what is to come. It's 30seconds of madness, the only time you aren't bumping around is on the inline twist, but you are too busy screaming you head off anyway to have a break from the intensity. Loved it so much, definately worth doing multiple times.

PS, if you're worried about the intensity try to go front row, on the inside seat as that's much less rough than the other seats. Back row outside seat is the worst but if you really want to experience baco I reccomend sitting there ;)