Port Aventura

Con

Well the fact it's using LSM instead of a hydraulic winch means it can't accelerate the train anywhere near the level of a winch. Presumably it is also to blame for the small trains seeing as the smaller trains will make it easier to launch. 

This ride compared to its US equivalents is smaller, lower top speed and a slower acceleration despite being built 10 years later.

Or it might be because LSM launches aren't wasting tonnes of energy in comparison and they can create just as much a good launch experience?

Like, iSpeed's launch is pretty damn fab, as are pretty much most LSM/LIM launches... Let alone that the acceleration is bound to be completely indifferent comparatively (110 in 5 secs versus 120 in 4 secs)... Which is about 10m/s2 against 13m/s2, so that kinda also disproves that the system can't accelerate the train to similar levels...

There's also the trend of hydraulic systems being shunned recently, the last one was Formula Rossa and that was 5 years ago now...

Comparing it to the US equivalents is amusing too, given most European coasters are shorter and slower yet often are highly rated than their counterparts over the Atlantic...

Saying things like LSM is poor launch technology is just daft though...

I'm calling the technology poor for this use. LSM for other launches where high speed and acceleration isnt the aim it does wonders but when it's being used to do very high speeds like this ride it doesn't perform as well as a winch would for rider experience. 

Yeah it's cheaper to run but look at how small the trains are as a result. 

But it's clearly not poor for this use as it reaches similar figures of speed and acceleration (obviously a smaller ride needs a lower speed to go over the top)... And also Intamin and PA would've chosen hydraulics since they already know about them, but they didn't, and as much as I take the mick out of Intamin they are the professionals here...

As for rider experience, go ride Taron (or iSpeed, or as a novelty, wait until you ride this) before going on about how unsuitable LSMs are for this project...

As for the use of brake fins, probably there as a failsafe system to ensure in case of rollbacks or power failure that it actually stops...

To be honest, I actually prefer LSM launches as they are smoother and more comftable when compared to cable ones. Interestingly my girlfriend likes LSM coasters like Taron & Space Mountain, but won't touch Stealth or Rita.

Whilst comparatively different to Taron, should the same restraint and launch systems be implemented, the ride should be of acceptable quality. 

Controversially, I don't think Ferrari Land is the most exciting project next year, at least compared to Symbolica and Project V, but it is not the worst one either.

• 2 weeks later...

Better article for those interested:  http://www.diarimes.com/noticies/camp_tarragona/2016/12/14/un_incendi_afecta_ferrari_land_12502_1093.html

It appears the fire affected a theatre and a 25m high replica of the Campanile Tower that are in the area.  Eyewitnesses suggest that the Tower might have to be knocked down

Fire is now put out and no one is injured.  

It's not believed to be a terrorist attack despite some local's concerns / rumours.

The rides themselves are okay.

An official statement from the park:

CzqlUnFWIAUWYtG.jpg

Rough translation (found on TST):

PortAventura announced that at 8pm today there has been a fire in a themed building at Ferrari Land. The company put emergency plans in place and the fire brigade immediately attended the scene of the fire. At present the fire is under control we confirm there's been no injuries. PortAventura is analysing the facts to determine the cause of the fire, but this incident will not modify the planned opening schedule.

EDIT:

Here's a recent-ish picture from pa-community...

th720_c8fc0d56dd4c1d1fef7fb19c85614546.j

The buildings on the right are the ones affected.  As said, the Tower is 25m (82ft) high, as there's rumours that may not survive.  The white building was also rumoured to be a flying theatre, though no clue how much tech was in there.  And apparently one of the S&S towers might have been damaged..

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, J.S217 said:

Is it just me but the new Intamin track looks odd on this type of coaster 

I thought that too quite a while back, but someone did remind me that it won't affect the ride experience but in fact this new track type will make it smoother.

That point has made me get used to seeing this coaster with that track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...