Port Aventura

Con

Wouldn't say there's any hate for this, just questions about the point of it when it's about 10 years too late for anyone to actually care about...

If it was say a Formula Rossa or Flying Aces clone I'm sure there would be a lot more excitement... As it is, a slightly bigger version of Stealth that isn't as big as the American duo just isn't THAT interesting...

How much input does Ferrari have with this land? For a company with such rich heritage in racing and cars they could have come up with such a great name. Something Italian or fancy relating to one of their models, history etc. Instead it sounds like they put little thought into it or much of the land, sorry, park.

8 hours ago, Benin said:

Wouldn't say there's any hate for this, just questions about the point of it when it's about 10 years too late for anyone to actually care about...

If it was say a Formula Rossa or Flying Aces clone I'm sure there would be a lot more excitement... As it is, a slightly bigger version of Stealth that isn't as big as the American duo just isn't THAT interesting...

Just like stealth was a clone of kingda ka but half the height..  This thing is like 350ft right? That's still pretty cool, especially for people less likely to be able to get out to the US parks

The more I think about it, the more I think that it could potentially be Better than Kingda Ka.

Reason being:

• The drop - no spiral! One will actually be looking straight down and taking in the height!
  • Lap bars - just imagine, 367ft face down, arms up with no shoulder restraints!
  • Smoothness - Kingda Ka isn't too rough but it isn't really smooth either, this new Intamin is more or less guaranteed to be perfectly smooth.
  • Theming - Not a deal breaker for me, but could potentially give a pleasant atmosphere.

I think this could actually be a brilliant roller coaster, I will admit I was slightly harsh on it towards the beginning. Sure, it may not have impressive acceleration or the most original layout, but the factors mentioned above give reasoning for it to be a potential top 3 candidate. 

There's a chance I may be going this year, so having ridden Kingda Ka front and back, I'll be able to give the ultimate comparison.

1 hour ago, 'Airtime Falcon' said:

• Lap bars - just imagine, 367ft face down, arms up with no shoulder restraints!
  • Smoothness - Kingda Ka isn't too rough but it isn't really smooth either, this new Intamin is more or less guaranteed to be perfectly smooth.
  • Theming - Not a deal breaker for me, but could potentially give a pleasant atmosphere

TTD has lap bars and is much smoother than Kingda Ka , it's "theme" is also more pleasant. 

While it's got potential to beat Kingda Ka I don't think it has much chance at beating TTD.

I think it'll probably be a great ride, definitely not a Shambhala beater, but probably the second best there.

Very odd though that they're adding a Intamin Accelerator and a drop tower.. Like they don't already have those models in there lineup..

Holy sh** that name though :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That noise is lush, this is why magnetic launches need to be used more in the future...

Shame the major ride is about 10 years too late to be of any real impact to the industry... The height and speed race isn't much of a thing in Europe, and it's more surprising they didn't try to have something more like Formula Rossa...

Also yay everything has Express Pass!

After doing some quick physics (and I mean quick so I could be a tad off) compared to Stealth the initial launch on this is approximately 50% weaker. Whilst I knew it would be weaker I wasn't quite expecting quite that much. 

The ride seems fine, but certainly nothing making me want to make a trip out to PA. Shambhala on the other hand ;) 

Either way, when you are marketing something for its speed you'd hope its at least keep up with it. Like I say it looks like an ok attraction but it can more or less be universally agreed that something more impressive could have been installed instead! :P 

Edit - Just to give another option I had a look at Knotts Berry Farm's Xcelerator and iSpeed at Miribilanda which both outpace it by a fair amount. I think it's fair enough to feel a bit disappointed when it's really cut back on a lot of what makes other rides of its type more impressive, such as the powerful suspenseful launch and the exit twist (although this is generally only on the larger ones obviously), which although they aren't essential it's a shame the layout they went for is more 'bog standard' if anything. :) 

Obviously that's just how I feel about it, others might love the changes to it :P 

Official rcdb stats put it at 0-111 in 5 seconds...

So just over 20mph/s acceleration (granted that's not the exact rate, but converting on the commute is not a fun game on a Friday night)...

I think the lamentation of missed opportunity shouldn't be placed in the choice of launch system, LSMs are very different to hydraulics, but can still provide an experience just as insane... Besides, what's better? Instant relief or sustained pleasure?

It's also already killed a pigeon! Well done Intamin continuing their proud death cred tradition! (there's a vid on the YouTubes, it's pretty funny)...