Port Aventura

Con

10'000 is also a bit low... Considering how massive the park is... Maybe Shambalalalalaladingdong will get a few more thousand in, but for an average of 4200 which is probably what Chessie can boast, the park must not be doing everything right surely?Dunno, I should probably go back soon, but effort, cos it's in Spain and the queues there were absolutely VILE when I went last, with the general nice atmosphere of the park being balanced out by claustrophobic and dank cattlepen queuelines that would make even Rita's blush... Plus they got rid of Sea Odyssey...

Average gate figures based on a 15 year running average over the entire season (Christmas openings, early season etc etc). Reasons for doing so are stated above. The cattlepens I can excuse in the majority of cases simply due to the fact that they are themed cattle pens. They work. Rita's has no theme; it's a queue. Kahn's queue; literally a cattlepen, makes me feel like I'm waiting in line at a chinese museum or temple; it works because it's themed. I really suppose that's a matter of opinion, but I am certainly not alone in my views on the park.Sea Odyssey left because Universal refused the park rights to screen it. It was produced by Universal studios in the early days of the park (relatively speaking).

The cattlepens I can excuse in the majority of cases simply due to the fact that they are themed cattle pens. They work. Rita's has no theme; it's a queue. Kahn's queue; literally a cattlepen, makes me feel like I'm waiting in line at a chinese museum or temple; it works because it's themed. I really suppose that's a matter of opinion, but I am certainly not alone in my views on the park.

One good cattlepen then, what about Tutuki Splash, the Log Flume, the Rapids? Not sure about this investment thing either, since I went in 2004 the park has seen 2 new major rides, and a Sesame Street area... Let's discount shows here, but since 2004 the UK parks have certainly added more rides (Thorpe, in the same period, have added two coasters, big flats, rebranded and are also on the verge of a brand new B&M), which on a basic level does mean that Tussauds and Merlin are more inclined towards investment no?Of course, this has mainly come about from having a very good original set-up, which is to be expected from those 3 groups, but it kinda shows that your arguement in that PA's owners have been investing more into the park is very skewed in the incorrect direction from a ride point of view...

^ That's kind of my precise point though Benin. The overall gist of the arguement is that PortAventura is a theme park, that relies on far more than ride investment to maintain it's customer levels. As you rightly say, ride investment is comparatively low to UK parks, yet their gate figures have risen substantially (if 2010 saw 3mill+ visitors, and also the 15 millionth, certainly in the early days, the park must of had even less than 1 million guests per year). Basically, the park must be doing a lot right, investing in the overall experience; 'the magic' that so often people say Alton Towers now lacks, than just throwing money at new rides. To spin this off the other way, if for the next 5 years Alton Towers built no new significant rides, but instead invested in the park to bring it to a standard similar to that of Universal or Busch, I strongly suspect they would see massive growth in gate figures over an extended period (10 years onwards) and deliver a far better overall experience than they ever could, simply by installing yet another gimmicky and relatively poor 'worlds first' ride.

Not really.. different markets.It's pretty much been proven that very little amount of people in the UK care about entertainment. Otherwise they would've turned up to the shows they had. They don't invest heavily in shows because people don't turn up. Everytime they've tried, they've failed.The UK relies on rides to get people to their parks. They come to ride rides. The more rides there are, the more variety and choice there is, the more people want to come to ride certain/all rides, and the less queues there are.For the UK, the parks have definitely gotten their priorities right. Ents can come as an additional bonus to reducing long queues.

Not really.. different markets.It's pretty much been proven that very little amount of people in the UK care about entertainment. Otherwise they would've turned up to the shows they had. They don't invest heavily in shows because people don't turn up. Everytime they've tried, they've failed.The UK relies on rides to get people to their parks. They come to ride rides. The more rides there are, the more variety and choice there is, the more people want to come to ride certain/all rides, and the less queues there are.For the UK, the parks have definitely gotten their priorities right. Ents can come as an additional bonus to reducing long queues.

Right ok. So your saying that the British audience do not go to Florida because they don't appreciate the shows? Your saying that British market isn't one of Disney's strongest because they don't appreciate the entertainment value of the park?No, because your totally and completely wrong.British theme parks fail at delivering shows because all they have ever provided (certainly in my expereince) is narrow market shows aimed at a specific audience, with poor levels of investment and an overall feel of tackyness. Take, for example, Thorpe Parks SunScream shows. They deliver a show pitched at thrill seekers; they market it as such, which appeals to mostly males in the late teens/early twenties. It's delivered in an environment which is reminiscent of being in a normal street, it doesn't make people want to try different things and certainly doesn't market the shows as part of the experience. This is not the case at disney/Universal/Busch parks. Animals, shows, and entertainment are delivered as a crucial part of the package. They are set in immersive themes and so tempt people towards them as if they are a ride or attraction. It's also broadly aimed, so appeals to a much wider audience, and the set generally is well kept and well presented. Your right, shows don't work in the UK, but it's not because the audience don't want them, it's because the parks do not provide the correct setting, atmosphere or budget to deliver a well presented rounded performance that is part and parcel to the overall experience.

Do people really go to Disney (and the other Orlando region parks) because of the shows?No, it's because of the exceptionally strong brand names that come with the Orlando experience. The UK people go for the parks, not for the shows, it is proven from our own parks that our major sit down for 20 minute shows are never that popular, so for the UK market ALONE shows are just not worthwhile.For Americans who like pomp and circumstance, and the Europeans who love a good sit down and to be enthralled by something, it works. Just not over here when not many of us might fancy a jaunt to Thorpe or Alton when it's 2 degree positive outside when we have a nice warm house with tea.

Different markets. I don't know, but does Six Flags or Cedar Point offer entertainment to the standard you're talking about, seeing as most people compare thorpe to them?Again, it's market, and its attendances to the parks themselves and then to the entertainment. Disney Paris gets 10m visitors a year. So naturally they can afford, and will be able to do, an amazing show which will capture all audiences.Our parks are far, far smaller. Therefore it's only right for them to target their main audience, in the way that'll get the most amount of attendance possible and best ROI.

Different markets. I don't know, but does Six Flags or Cedar Point offer entertainment to the standard you're talking about, seeing as most people compare thorpe to them?Again, it's market, and its attendances to the parks themselves and then to the entertainment. Disney Paris gets 10m visitors a year. So naturally they can afford, and will be able to do, an amazing show which will capture all audiences.Our parks are far, far smaller. Therefore it's only right for them to target their main audience, in the way that'll get the most amount of attendance possible and best ROI.

I'm not certain on the shows pitched to Cedar Point/Six Flags, but I think both the above are correct but incorrect, as am I. Fred, your on the right lines with market; as I stated; 'it's ability to provide a timeless experience for every member of the family.' (referring to PA). I speak from experience here. My entire family visited in 2008, this being my Cousins (14 & 16), Uncle (40+), Other Aunt and Uncle (45ish) My dad (40), partner (35), her son (10), myself and my brother (15 & 13) and my grandparents (65). Everyone enjoyed the park. It pitches to such a broad market that it retains a wide range of guests who DON'T just want rides. Maybe I tip toed around this point before a little too much, but in terms of physical park size, UK parks are similar to medium international parks. Yet they pull less guests. Why? because they pitch (increasingly so) to only one market. As I said before people go to Florida and Disney for a whole number of reasons, some for shows, and some for rides, and while the brand is a selling point, even the best brand cannot sell a poor experience. Alton Towers and most UK brands are all about rides, Alton Towers was not always the case, but is now much more so than it ever was. This leads to smaller less general markets and an experience pitched to only a smaller group. Clearly this doesn't work as well as a broad market group, as seen by the success of Florida parks. Essentially, people in the UK do want shows, but theme parks do not develop the shows well enough to attract the audiences required to justify them. The brand identity of UK parks is far too ride centric, and certainly Alton Towers, should look at how it can once again pitch to more than just ride enthusiasts. I think, as I read on coasterforce, the defining factor for what makes a good theme park is how much you can enjoy your day without any of the rides.

Essentially, people in the UK do want shows, but theme parks do not develop the shows well enough to attract the audiences required to justify them. The brand identity of UK parks is far too ride centric, and certainly Alton Towers, should look at how it can once again pitch to more than just ride enthusiasts. I think, as I read on coasterforce, the defining factor for what makes a good theme park is how much you can enjoy your day without any of the rides.

Quick, someone put you in charge!!Mirrors my thoughts exactly. The UK industry is so short sighted and narrow minded in it's park development it hurts sometimes. Giving people an amazing day out will increase the next few years gate figures a whole lot more than building something shiny and new around a crumbling soul less park and spending a fortune on advertising.It's some years since I've been to Aventura myself, but one of my strongest fondest memories is of a circus show near Khan which was truly outstanding, along with the fire show thing which also had a few live actors and blew me away. Neither of these things have a comparable equivalent here and with Merlins current thinking we never will. Shame for us and for Merlin shareholders.

I visited PortAventura in August 2009 and spent 3 days at the park (which was too much).PortAventura is not the best park in Europe. They have a very poor selection of rollercoasters, and barely any dark rides. This alone makes it far below what can be found in other parks. The area theming and park shows are up there with the very best. Equally, their investment levels are not as high as you might like to think - the last major attraction added was Furius Baco. This is some years ago now.Compared with Phantasialand, Europa-Park, Disneyland Paris, Efteling and (I make no bones about this) Alton Towers, I don't really find the park on a level - ASIDE from area theming and shows. The rides are just not good enough. Equally, there is a lot of graffiti across some areas which simply does not happen in most major parks. Tutuki Splash and Stampida were the worst. Don't get me wrong, it is a lovely place to wander around and the weather helps a heck of a lot - and I am delighted they're adding a 2nd decent coaster for 2012 which looks BRILLIANT... but for now, sorry - it just isn't right up there.Rob - you been to EP?:)

Rob - you been to EP?:)

No (I'm going to just maintain some dignity here by pointing out that I did state this near the start), but I now see that I should. I think for me, I can agree with some of the moans about cattlepens and graffiti (although I must say in my most recent visit they had got rid of a reasonable amount of graffiti), but I just think the general atmosphere of PA is amazing and that in itself compensates for a small selection of rides. As I also said, to me, it's quality over quantity, and certainly Alton, has this the other way around. Speaking both from a personal level and the opinion of others, a day in Alton Towers sees it getting boring, a week in PA doesn't. As for investment, I'd suggest that while PA do not invest in rides, other investment is much greater. This has somewhat been my pivotal argument throughout. They spend a fortune on shows, staffing and other entertainment which all add to the experience, something the UK doesn't do. It's a similar case in Florida; we don't forever see more and more rollercoasters crammed into smaller and smaller spaces without any real themed tie in to their area as we do in the UK, we see (usually) far sighted, short term investment that appeals to a wide audience.Ultimately it's all a matter of opinion, as with everything on most forum topics, but for me the overall experience of PA is just one that is fantastic. It's a lovely place and you can loose yourself there, essentially the goal of a theme park. It's what people referred to as 'magic', that in the UK, only Alton Towers really achieved, and that was lost back in 2003? (Debate to be had (and indeed, regularly hosted) on ttf really).

Had gotten rid of a "reasonable" amount of graffiti?There's no such thing of a reasonable amount. It should not exist in any park, it's one of the BIGGEST downers to a theme park and instantly ruins any presentation they've tried.And that includes all parks, from small Oakwood to Disney.

A great deal of Port Aventura's 'niceness' is the fact that you're usually on holiday and in nice weather. :)

This is also a major reason why PortAventura is, along with Disney, pretty much the only household name European theme park in the UK. It's always hot. It's always sunny. And it's near beaches.Sadly the sheer number of Brits abroad at the park don't really boost it for me.I certainly could not spend 1 week at the park.I do like the Water Park, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just found out I'm going here with School in June (I think) for a Spanish trip! :DI've never been before though and the only thing I'm worried about is that we are only going for a day and I want to get most things done. Most drop towers really scare me so 370? ft. seems horrific, but I do really want to do it and I know I'll have to because of my friends...So I have some questions: 1) Is hurrikane condor as powerful as detty? 2) Any plans on what to advise the teachers to head on first? :P 3) And will I get everything done? I'm just looking for an overview of the park and what rides there are really, any help would be really appreciated,Thanks :D

From what I've heard, Huracan Condor isn't as powerful as Detonator, per sé, but because of it's height you may feel a lot more intimidated by it depending on our fearful you are of heights. Detonator's a 'Power Tower' and most of this power comes from the pneumatics at the top, which push the gondola downwards, whereas most other drop towers (including Hurukan Kondor) rely solely on gravitational means to get you to the ground. I believe it was Benin who said overly tall drop towers suffer from terminal velocity? So, if you're not scared of heights, you may get quite bored of the drop after about five seconds of freefall. :P

Indeed they most certainly do suffer from Terminal Velocity, although having not done Hurakan Condor, I cannot really tell... Apocalypse at Drayton is what... Half the height? Doesn't really reach it (in my opinion at least) so you might have the boredom factor by that reasoning, hard to tell because of the smaller size making it more aerodynamic compared to Scream's fat seating ring, might not be as bad... Aside from the possibility of it being an Intamin and potentially killing everyone... ;)As for heading to first, gonna be Dragon Khan or Furius Baco... Maybe Baco first then Khan and Shambalalalalalalala...Probs won't get everything done, unless you don't care about shows...

Man, I get SO scared on that ride! It's horrid, the whole loading into an unknown seat (floorless being the worst), although as already pointed out, after the initial shock of 'oh we've dropped', the rest of the drop is a bit rumbly and sensationless. It's all about the height and buiild up!I think aside from shows, PA is easily done in one day and to be honest, I'd deal with the rides as and when you come to them. By the time you've hit the back of the park the frenzy of the new roller coaster may have died down a bit. In fact what am I talking about, head straight for the new roller coaster! :P

Edited by Neilfever

The park, in terms of rides, is as above, easily achieved in one day. There isn't actually that much - Baco, Stampida, Tomahawk, Shambhala and Khan are essentials with the dire Mine Train also on offer. The water rides are all "OK" but nothing particularly special and Huracan Condor is great, too. I can't recall if the park has a bona fide dark ride - I don't think it does, although there is Templo del Fuego and some sort of simulator ride which I barely remember the details of!!The new ride is badly needed, it really is.:P

• 2 weeks later...

Love Port Avenuras blog about Shambhala

With this attraction, PortAventura wants to raise a challenge to emulate the most memorable expeditions in history. It will have all the ingredients for a memorable and fantastic adventure, climbing to new heights, huge falls into the abyss, passages through dark tunnels, and over mountain lakes, all in an attraction that resembles the silhouette of a mountain range.The great mountain climbers are often asked why they have a passion for mountaineering and they generally cannot provide a logical answer. That is how your experience will be on this new attraction. Everyone must assume it as a personal challenge, a haul that they should face in their own way. According to the great mountaineers, to conquer a large peak is the closest thing to mental and physical ecstasy, in short, an almost mystical experience. This amount of ingredients perfectly sums up the experience that the adventurers will feel when they try this ride.It will not leave anyone indifferent, because unlike the other attractions of speed that can be found in the park; the new roller coaster will offer visitors an authentic catalog of sensations plus spectacular views of the surrounding area.This new attraction is set to become the new icon of PortAventura, as its majestic and slender figure will completely change the skyline of the park that is characterized so far by the Dragon Khan, the symbol of PortAventura since its opening. In fact, the new "ridge" of PortAventura will be visible from miles away.Technical Data Rollercoaster group of "hypercoaster" which are characterized by their large size and height, and its long ride without loops, and for achieving an impressive velocity.The attraction will beat three European records:Highest Rollercoaster in Europe (76 meters)The Rollercoaster with the longest drop in Europe (78 meters)The fastest European hypercoaster, it will reach 134 km/h on the first drop. The speed will vary for the rest of the way, like the Dragon Khan, the whole ride will be propelled by the force of the first drop.It will have 5 camel humps (elevations along the ride), the lowest of which has a height equivalent to a 7-story building. In each of these camel humps, voyagers will experience the effect known as air time, losing contact with the seat going over a hump on a dirt track, but much more intense.PortAventura is investing 25 million Euros in this new attraction, which is scheduled for completion in spring 2012. The design and development of this ambitious project has been jointly worked on by PortAventura and the Bollinger & Mabillard Company, who also designed the Dragon Khan, the emblem of PortAventura and a favorite of visitors since its opening in 1995.