Ghost Train - NEW for 2023

coasterverse

Honestly in regards to the floating coach, when DBGT opened they did make a big deal of it in the spiel before going in to give a 'grand reveal'

I don't think they would touch the coach shell, simply because it would be such a faff to, working at height with no fixed walkways around it.

But I think  yeah they are laying more into the tube train aspect, if they wanted to be fancy they could make 1 tube platform "abandoned" and the other "used"

Waterloo And City Line - Railfanning London's Railways

A example of how it could look and the Blue on the teaser and paint suggests

This is the Waterloo and City Line in around 1992 when Network Southeast Ran it before London Transport took it over

I would say something like this has been on the designers Mood board for themes

Which would make sense…EDC2F38B-E1F7-4E6B-A565-887CDBFD0E63.thumb.jpeg.8a52a88e7b91be9024de9029651b4201.jpeg

This attraction just feels very Thorpe-esk. It’s a new attraction but not much substance for its opening year, same as black mirror we had nothing. Why is the train emergency stopping? But also why is the only photo, there’s nothing much to tease or hint to anything. 

Just now, ML27 said:

C5A5B618-E97F-47BB-AC7A-C8C38C95AC4C.jpeg

I don't actually... hate it? I mean, I'm still not a fan of the clear misalignment of the victorian and modern theme (as seen in the '1871' on the side of the building still visabily present), but judging that they're able to get it fairly close to that concept art, I think it could actually look pretty good. Just need to remember to ignore the rest of the victorian building 😂 Very interesting indeed. Either way, I can't wait to get inside and see what's been cooking up - good or bad.

1 hour ago, coasterverse said:

I don't actually... hate it? I mean, I'm still not a fan of the clear misalignment of the victorian and modern theme (as seen in the '1871' on the side of the building still visabily present), but judging that they're able to get it fairly close to that concept art, I think it could actually look pretty good. Just need to remember to ignore the rest of the victorian building 😂 Very interesting indeed. Either way, I can't wait to get inside and see what's been cooking up - good or bad.

It could be considered thematically realistic to have an old victorian train depot building right next door to a flash modern(ish) train station.

Plenty of examples on Network Rail.

Just watched Jacks latest video :

After watching it, some thoughts…

- Seems to have a big budget for the amount they are ripping out and not reusing pretty much anything. The detail and design show on concept art might follow through to the attraction 

- They are ripping out all illusions and any previously cool theming pieces which could have been reused if it was a budget retheme. Aka just repainting the train carriage. I’m shocked to see the first train scene with mirrors being ripped out. It’s such a cool effect and Jack seems to think so, he was also sad about it going in this video. So its replacement has to be worthwhile. 

With the train scene, they are clearly ripping out the brickwork, again pointing out a deep change in story and scenes. I wouldn’t be suprised if that room is turned into platforms, and the empty tube train shell is left exposed rather than the facade of the Victorian train carriage which was there. They would have to fill in the floor of that room, I don’t see how in a normal train station you’d board the train whilst walking over a bridge in the air.

- On board the train, looks like modifications are happening and can happen, I was doubtful but clearly they can add whatever they want to it. I might be mistaken but are the window panels different, I thought they were plain white before. Jack hints the seats might change also showing this is a more detailed retheme.

- The middle scene is completely empty,allowing them to use UV paint 😂 but seriously they have a large space to provide more of an experience.

- Tube station is untouched.

Overall:

Until we see the final theming the budget of the retheme isn’t known but the amount they are ripping up which could have been reused and just been repainted or changed to fit the new story is insane and I don’t think this ride will be recognisable to DBGT and will be it’s own thing. I must admit, I will miss all the illusions like peppers ghost and the train set, it was one thing which really made the ride pretty high quality and almost amazing when you saw it.

It makes me much more excited to experience a new ride, it’s not going to be rideable as Thorpe have confirmed it’s not a realistic target but it will be consistent and hopefully the theme will be throughout.

32 minutes ago, ML27 said:

Just watched Jacks latest video :

After watching it, some thoughts…

- Seems to have a big budget for the amount they are ripping out and not reusing pretty much anything. The detail and design show on concept art might follow through to the attraction 

- They are ripping out all illusions and any previously cool theming pieces which could have been reused if it was a budget retheme. Aka just repainting the train carriage. I’m shocked to see the first train scene with mirrors being ripped out. It’s such a cool effect and Jack seems to think so, he was also sad about it going in this video. So its replacement has to be worthwhile. 

With the train scene, they are clearly ripping out the brickwork, again pointing out a deep change in story and scenes. I wouldn’t be suprised if that room is turned into platforms, and the empty tube train shell is left exposed rather than the facade of the Victorian train carriage which was there. They would have to fill in the floor of that room, I don’t see how in a normal train station you’d board the train whilst walking over a bridge in the air.

- On board the train, looks like modifications are happening and can happen, I was doubtful but clearly they can add whatever they want to it. I might be mistaken but are the window panels different, I thought they were plain white before. Jack hints the seats might change also showing this is a more detailed retheme.

- The middle scene is completely empty,allowing them to use UV paint 😂 but seriously they have a large space to provide more of an experience.

- Tube station is untouched.

Overall:

Until we see the final theming the budget of the retheme isn’t known but the amount they are ripping up which could have been reused and just been repainted or changed to fit the new story is insane and I don’t think this ride will be recognisable to DBGT and will be it’s own thing. I must admit, I will miss all the illusions like peppers ghost and the train set, it was one thing which really made the ride pretty high quality and almost amazing when you saw it.

It makes me much more excited to experience a new ride, it’s not going to be rideable as Thorpe have confirmed it’s not a realistic target but it will be consistent and hopefully the theme will be throughout.

ngl this is actually really sad - they are taking a big gamble with this, especially with removing the actually good scenery pieces. I agree with you - I think our best bet here is that they're building a new train platform in the grand illusion room instead.

But yeah you're right, the windows are definitely different already. I'm pretty sure DBGT just used to have a white cloth or something similar over the windows, so not sure if they've just removed the cloth, exposing the actual windows underneath or if they've fully replaced them.

I'll happily trade re-ridability with consistency any day of the week. To me, a ride doesn't have to be different every time I ride it. Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome to have this, but it's totally unnecessary for a ride of this calibre and budget. It just needs to be fun and consistent - if it manages to achieve both of these things, it's instantly re-rideable. 

2 minutes ago, ML27 said:

I suppose with the windows they are going to need something. If you’re going to have a spiel on the train, then it’s going to be weird having plain white windows to stare at

Oh yeah almost certainly. Considering Jack mentioned there's going to be some significant changes to the train interior, I'm like 100% certain there'll be screens or some sort of projection mapping in the windows.

Interesting to see behind the scenes by Thorpe’s marketing account. Not sure what to make of the re-theme with the amount being ripped out. I guess only time will tell on how impressive the new show rooms will be.  

No wonder the train would overheat & VR glitch out with all that hardware that was packed under the seats! I am looking forward to some more physical effects and the train feeling more immersive. We’ll see how scary it is on a scale of Tomb Blaster to Terror Tomb.

It's good to see that there's a fair amount of work going on inside. Suggests they have been given a pretty decent budget for this, which is good. I believe there's been some rumours floating around that the Duel retheme to Alton Manor could be as high as £5m...would be nice if we're even getting half that here.

I'd been holding onto this for a bit, but now that Mr Cottonrock has been able to show inside, I see no reason why I cannot share this now too.

_MG_2117.jpg

Here's a nice look at the hanging carriage scene with the lights on. It doesn't take a lot to see the mirrors in this lighting. 

Now here's the question: what do they do with this scene if they don't have a floating carriage illusion? Do they just change it to a floating tube carriage? Do they try and transform it to just looking like a station? The trouble with redoing this scene is that it was specifically designed for the floating carriage illusion, specifically a Victorian train carriage. Retrospectively turning it into something else is not an easy task. 

The time period change (Victoriana to more modern day) is not an issue really. Plenty of train stations still use buildings built from a long time ago, and feel grand and dated.

I'm not a fan of the concept art shown for the exterior. It kind of goes hand in hand with what I said just now...there's plenty of train stations which use buildings built a long time ago, and they might have modern retrofitting in place. But it's not the most exciting or visually pleasing thing to look at in the real world. And it certainly doesn't work in a theme park setting either. The concept art is 'fine', but doesn't really strike me as interesting or exciting to look at. 

They’ve started to remove the fake brick panels in the floating train carriage scene. If you’re not going to see it why remove it? Like what’s the point in removing it in such a big building. It’s a massive room.

unless your going to walk down there which I highly doubt

5 minutes ago, ML27 said:

They’ve started to remove the fake brick panels in the floating train carriage scene. If you’re not going to see it why remove it? Like what’s the point in removing it in such a big building. It’s a massive room.

unless your going to walk down there which I highly doubt

Interesting point! I never even noticed that they were fake tbh, I always assumed they were real. If there's one thing DBGT did right, it's the physical theming for sure. There's some really impressive stuff in there.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they're taking away the brick panels because they're in-filling it all for a new fake platform. But, then again, filling the bottom of that room up until where the bridge is would be a HELL of a lot of concrete - so maybe not. Either way, suuuuuuuuper intrigued to find out what they've got up their sleeves for that room and to find out if it will top the floating carriage spectacle (which will be a hard feat I can't lie!)

It mentions in the description of Jack's video that the video was filmed numerous weeks ago, so progress inside has likely significantly come along since then. I'd like to see more of the ride system itself and perhaps even the fake shop section in the next construction update for Ghost Train. Would be interesting to see all of the aspects of the ride we've never (and will never) be able to see!

32 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

Yes but what does @JoshC. think? 🤔

I think hot snow falls up, but I'm not sure people are ready to hear that yet.

7 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

@JoshC. do you think the floating carriage will be removed from the former Derren Brown’s Ghost Train ride?

It's been said in Jack Silkstone's Ghost Train behind the scenes video that the warehouse scene is changing, which all but guarantees that the floating carriage will be changed / removed.

I didn't know that it's been directly confirmed it's being removed...I imagine Thorpe have said so in their Facebook group and I've just missed it?