Dreamland Margate

Whiteknuckle

What a loverly video,

Absolutely can't wait until this park reopens, this all sounds very exciting stuff and for me at the moment is probably the most exciting thing happening in the UK theme park industry (prior to thorpe' dark ride & SW8).

Definitely hope to get down there this year at somepoint

• 4 weeks later...

Dreamland have announced the Scenic will not open with the rest of the park later this month, as the trains are not ready.

I'm really a big fan of the project, but this is a bit disastrous. I can't see many people bothering without it, so the park will sit there losing money and gaining a bad reputation. Would be much better of delaying the whole thing until it's ready. Hopefully it won't be for too long, but rather ominously they haven't given a likely opening date yet.

• 2 weeks later...

So Dreamland have acquired a Reverchon Crazy Mouse.

Not really a heritage ride, but I think that it is a good decision in the short term, however in the long term I would like to see Southport's wooden Wild Mouse (which I believe they have in storage), the Water Chute (which I think they have blueprints for) and The Whip from BPB built.  I appreciate that it doesn't all happen in a day and hopefully they'll manage this in the long run, I fully support this park and aim to visit once they become more established, and once the Scenic Railway is open!  :lol:

I'm secretly hoping they can acquire a looping star, I know many may not consider it heritage, but it was the first coaster I went on that tipped me upside down in 1982/3, right after my first ride experience on the scenic railway, so to me, it's a heritage ride too.

I'm going to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if dreamland doesn't last a year. I don't see what has changed since it closed, and they are way behind/over budget. Found this article interesting http://greentargett.com/2015/06/13/dreamland-somnabulance/.

Hopefully this will be far from the truth when it opens, whilst the article seems to be a it on the negative side of over budgeting, unsatisfactory parties etc. the park definitely has its large share of supporters as there's already 50k likes on the park's Facebook and the opening night has now also sold out (source Dreamland FB).

Many prominent Themeparks have had bad starts in the past. Disneyland's opening was a disaster, Universal didn't get near as many guests as they first expected and DLP or as it was called then, Euro Disney was a complete failure. I know this is a bit different but this park should hopefully be a success.

On another note, wild mouse should be a good addition even if it's very mediocre. Any news on when the scenic will open btw?

So Dreamland have acquired a Reverchon Crazy Mouse.

Not really a heritage ride, but I think that it is a good decision in the short term, however in the long term I would like to see Southport's wooden Wild Mouse (which I believe they have in storage), the Water Chute (which I think they have blueprints for) and The Whip from BPB built.  I appreciate that it doesn't all happen in a day and hopefully they'll manage this in the long run, I fully support this park and aim to visit once they become more established, and once the Scenic Railway is open!  :lol:

The Wild Mouse has been scrapped and will only be used in the upcycling project.  Blackpools Whip is being considered for Phase 2.

The Wild Mouse has been scrapped and will only be used in the upcycling project.  Blackpools Whip is being considered for Phase 2.

Oh :(

Any particular reason for this?

They should sell it on to somewhere else though, it would be great to have another wooden wild mouse in operation.

They should sell it on to somewhere else though, it would be great to have another wooden wild mouse in operation.

It's not made of wood.

I see the opening night tickets have sold out, so at least part of that doom-mongering is not true! The place will fail though, until they get the scenic going. I just hope the cost of being open without it is not too high and doesn't go on too long.

The former owners scrapped parts of the wooden wild mouse making it unusable.

In order to make it economically viable and sustainable the park is no longer purely heritage based. It is designed to be a reflection of rides from every decade from the 1920s to now hence why we are seeing many 80s/90s rides pop up.

Hardly ideal but at the end of the day they need to draw in the numbers to keep the place going and restoring old heritage rides does not come cheap at all. Something I don't think alot of non enthusiasts realise and appreciate.

BPB Whip ride will come at a later date along with the Corbiere Wheel. If it doesn't deterorate on Ramsgate docks first.

Yes, that one looks wooden. But the one they have is...

10417579_924368584272979_844622499561482

This is what was being spoken about.

No no, I said that it would be good to have Southport's Wild Mouse back in the long run, but that the steel mouse is good as a short term investment. Then Pete_A replied saying that they had scrapped the project, so I said that they should sell it to a park that would actually use it, as it would be nice to have another wooden Wild Mouse in operation.

Wild Mouse: Purchased by the Trust from Pleasureland, Southport and was located at Dreamland now relocated to the Port of Ramsgate. This ride was determined to be utilised for upcycling/engagement

Circular Water Chute: Acquired by the trust from Ocean Beach, Rhyl and located at the Port of Ramsgate. Ride not complete with only the cars salvaged for refurbishment. Not within current park plan

No no, I said that it would be good to have Southport's Wild Mouse back in the long run, but that the steel mouse is good as a short term investment. Then Pete_A replied saying that they had scrapped the project, so I said that they should sell it to a park that would actually use it, as it would be nice to have another wooden Wild Mouse in operation.

Ah, missed that bit. I thought King Solomans was long dead and that seems to be the case. This new wild mouse is something I suppose but they'e stepped quite a long way from what I consider heritage with a few bits now, I think they need to be careful not to dilute the vision too much and become just another indistinct seaside fairground.

Well its opening tomorrow and I live in Margate, I can safely say that seeing the site today it does not look ready, there are still diggers everywhere and trucks full of equipment, an electrician I know who is working there highly doubts it'll be ready for tomorrow, already the scenic railways won't be open because of a delay in completion of the trains and judging by the progress of the site there will be a few more non openers for tomorrow

Shame a few of the rides couldn't open on time. I know they have brought in temporary replacements for a few such as the Helter Skelter, Twister, Chair swing and Teacups though I know many people were looking forward to the Caterpillar attraction which judging by news reports, was not ready.

Regardless, the place still looks like a fantastic start and the general consensus seems to be positive which is good. I myself will be coming back when all the rides including the Scenic are in full swing.