Dreamland Margate

Whiteknuckle

How did they mange to misjudge the readiness of the trains by half a year? Very odd considering the announcement that it wasn't going to be ready only came days before opening.

I wonder if someone made a massive blunder and they simply didn't fit or weren't right in some major way, rather simply not being finished. It must be killing the place.

Doesn't sound like it, although it's probably only enthusiasts who are holding off any trips until Scenic has reopened...

I would've gone already if they hadn't closed it that weekend recently...

How did they mange to misjudge the readiness of the trains by half a year? Very odd considering the announcement that it wasn't going to be ready only came days before opening.

I wonder if someone made a massive blunder and they simply didn't fit or weren't right in some major way, rather simply not being finished. It must be killing the place.

Perhaps it's as simple as they forgot to give the go ahead, project manager a thought project manager b was dealing with it, while b thought a was, and they never talked about it?

I have seen worse....

• 3 weeks later...

Revisited Dreamland the other week for the first time since it reopened. I have plenty of pictures though unsure whether or not I will have the time to post them in a trip report.

Thoughts and notable points from my visit

• The park itself looks great, bursting with colour and activity, especially when compared with previous eras. I felt there could have been more soft landscaping but I guess in these early years, flexibility is key as who knows what kind of rides will show up.

• The ride lineup still needs some work with the Scenic still down, and the teacups and Chairswing yet to make an appearance. Having said that the introduction of new hired rides like the Rotor, Topspin and vintage speedway really brings the ride count up and ensures you get your moneys worth.

• The arcade and mall that connects the park with the beach both look great. From pinball machines to a roller rink, the place really has a lot going for it.

• In the now modernized mall area where the Dreamland Emporium is, work is underway on one of the event venues that will be known as the Ballroom. I imagine this will open soon. It seems a similar situation is emerging with the 1930s buffet building on the other side of the park.

• Generally speaking, throughput seemed quite slow with some operators taking over several minutes to check restraints etc. Having said this, a lot of these were older rides and the amount of actual ride time you get on them really makes up for it.

• Next year with the arrival of a vintage Caterpillar ride, a vintage Ghost Train, the Scenic and hopefully the Teacups and Chairswing that were promised this year, it looks like the park will really start to take shape.

Bear in mind we went on what was one the hottest days of the year but from what I could tell the place was doing pretty well for itself.

When it opened at 10.00 it was fairly dead with few people wandering about compared to say Thorpe Park however by 11:30 crowds started emerging.

After midday the carpark was over maximum capacity which included a bay of coaches and cars basically parking in front of one another.

While the park was never completely packed, you could tell it was doing good trade.

Honestly, I think it needs a while to reestablish itself fully but weather permitting, I think it is likely to succeed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seeing the Scenic testing is certainly a pleasing site (and should mean very soon we'll have another woodie Cree back in the uk).

Despite the debatable OTT mesh panels, I look how the train has retained many of the original features of the old ride, rather than a bog standard 'this will do' train; or worse, Bakkenista.

By the looks, they have only one train (for now) but judging by the size of the warehouse, hopefully another one or two should be appearing in the future. With the amount of things added, it almost feels like a brand new ride built in a traditional style considering all the wood, trains & mechanics (presumably) were all replaced in the restoration.

Some photos from inside the Screamland horror mazes:

http://airgates.co.uk/reviews/dreamland-margate-screamland-press-preview/

I know you can't judge things from photos, but wow!

Thorpe could really learn from them for how to theme a maze interior, when you look at the standard of those compared to this:

http://www.scruffydogltd.com/news/thorpe-park-fright-nights-the-big-top/

The theming in Saw, Cabin and Bloody valentine looks on par, if not of a much higher quality then those pictures.

I can assure you the quality of Dreamland's mazes is far better than all three of those mazes having done all of Thorpe's and Dreamland's. The photos do not do justice as they are only of the actors and not the actual set designs.

The theming in Saw, Cabin and Bloody valentine looks on par, if not of a much higher quality then those pictures. 

Saw Alive has good theming in places, but a lot of Cabin is just whitewash walls with red blood (especially in the second section) and My Bloody Valentine has had a lot of the small details of theming taken away this year (such as the shovel with blood, miner clothing with gas masks hanging up and mine effect inside the first pre-speech room), as well as the best themed set (IMO) removed completely.  The forest scene and a few other small sections are the only well themed parts of MBV in my opinion.

but a lot of Cabin is just whitewash walls with red blood (especially in the second section)

I totally agree with you on this, but I always find myself asking at this stage "What more could they have done?".  That section is meant to represent the chaos of loads of people being murdered, whilst rushing around a facility.  A lot of the deaths occurred in the facility's corridors and the like, which aren't much more than white corridors!  There's certainly other things they could have done, like adding in a trashed office scene for example, but obviously space is a limitation.  So yes, whilst I see what you are saying, it's true to the film and is basically the best they could do given the constraints.  

Dreamland's mazes look great from those photos, and the reviews sound even more promising.  Funnily enough, one thing I almost immediately noticed in one of the Dreamland photos was the unthemed ceiling, much like in many of Thorpe's mazes too.  A lot of Thorpe's mazes have shown great set design and the like, not too dissimilar to Thorpe's I expect.

tl;dr - Thorpe have shown they can create some very good themed mazes.  So have Dreamland.  Yay.

There are a few things that could have been done with Cabin, but it does a job.

However, their attempt at theming with The Big Top is poor to say the least, when you consider that they have produced such high quality mazes in the past, black curtains with posters in places really doesn't cut it.

If Dreamland host Screamland again next year then I will definitely pencil in a visit, the Scenic looks great and the with the addition of the scare mazes it seems like a good time to visit.

Dreamland's halloween event sound absolutely fantastic!

The quality and effort by the sounds put in to those mazes sounds astounding, especially for a park that has only just reopened, plus the overall feel for all ages feels like a great touch too.

Very very tempted to go to this now, but probably won't get the time this year, but sounds so amazing.