Dreamland Margate

Whiteknuckle

30 minutes ago, Cian said:

I've heard relatively negative things regarding Screamland this year; mainly how their supposedly "boring and unoriginal" acting style relates largely to Universal's (single scare and reset). However, your review makes me think otherwise. Really enjoyed your blog post!

For me the scares where actually quite creative, the mazes where much more theatrical and scripted than most of Thorpe/Alton/Tulleys offering.

Obviously this style of scares can go horribly wrong if not timed correctly, but for me the event was so dead groups never stacked so this was not much of a issue.

Though Bloody Mirror was awful, in-fact, not worth being called a maze at all..

It was short, lacked a finale, plus only seeing one actor..

^ I second Cian. Theatricality when done right is superb.

It was my original intention to go to Screamland this year, however due to certain issues which presented themselves I am unable to go. It does look like a fantastic event!

Bloody Mirror looks intriguing. Just the sound of a mirror maze with actors puts me right off..

All the other mazes look brilliant too! This event is definitely going to need to be visited next October.

• 6 months later...

Seems there is alot of work going on here this year with millions being invested in new infrastructure, landscaping, rides and events space. Being a construction site at the moment, will be interesting to see if it is ready for opening by end of next month

Swear that Wild Mouse has been there since the place reopened?

Also, you're moving into a flat NEXT DOOR TO DREAMLAND! What did they expect? It's like people moving onto Holmesdale Road in Selhurst and then moaning about the bi-weekly hordes of football fans...

A blue wild mouse was there for a very short period of time before being removed. The park has been upgraded for this year and the area used is now bigger. This has been put in and is actually Fantasy Island's Wild Mouse which they have replaced with another model (Ice Mountain Hyde Park). 

The upgrade for those interested 

http://www.kentlive.news/the-opening-for-the-new-era-of-dreamland-has-been-pushed-back-after-another-10million-injection/story-30235729-detail/whatson/story.html

I could possibly understand the outrage if they were actually paying for the flats, however, they're not. I am. As is every tax payer in the UK. If it's that detrimental to your children's lives, ask the council to move you, or get a job and pay for your own flat away from the park that was built around the same time as the flat you live in.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Benin said:

It's like people moving onto Holmesdale Road in Selhurst and then moaning about the bi-weekly hordes of football fans...

Yeah but people are stupid. I've never not got a dirty look from a driver who decided to drive past Griffin Park on a Saturday when theres a football game...

• 3 months later...

Just booked my Screamland tickets, so I'm hoping for an announcement sometime soon!

I do hope they ditch the single-file style of their mazes this year though, and Bloody Mirror.. Which really isn't even worthy of being called a scare attraction..

Though The Final Cut and Paradise Foundation were brilliant, and I hope the event continues to be a success for the park.

I really do think Dreamland have done pretty good considering they have been financially struggling as of recent.

Their further investment to the park is very intriguing, and kinda bold.. Lets hope it works out for them.

The Paradise Foundation disturbed me down to my core last year, the amount of gore and some of the costumes are like being in a nightmare.

It didn't even have much in terms of jump scares, just the theming and atmosphere alone made me quiver in fear.

I wonder whats next for the event though? The only maze I really think shouldn't return is probably Bloody Mirror, but even then the other 4 are all really strong.

Anyway I'm stoked to see what happens this year, and I guess we'll see a lineup announcement around September?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay sorry for double post.. But Screamland just released a teaser that they WILL be 6 mazes this year and ScareTour teased about the lineup having "a number of big changes" too.

Screamland is pretty mad for an event that is only on its third year..

Edit:

Screamland have just accounced the names and the scare ratings of their mazes this year.. and I'm pretty surprised..

Dead and Breafast: Under New Management - Scare Factor 4
The Final Cut presents: They Came From Outer Space - Scare Factor 3
Punchinellos Revenge - Scare Factor 3
Festinos Festival of Freaks - Scare Factor 4
The Legend of Crank Jack - Scare Factor 3
The BrotherHOOD - Scare Factor 5

So first off I'm shocked with the Paradise Foundation not returning.

As that maze had massive sets and it seemed like they poured there heart and soul when to designing that attraction- so it being scrapped a year after opening by far caught me off guard.

The new mazes sound very interesting though.

I like how Screamland really gave the event a shakeup, even though the event wasn't really feeling stale at all anyway.

The Final Cut seems to be returning with the same theme and probably the same sets as last year- but The Final cut was absolutely outstanding last year anyway, so its return is more of a positive.

Edited by JoshuaA
Update on the mazes

*Sorry for third post in a row*

So Screamland have added further details to their website including descriptions of the mazes.

So it seems Punchinellos's Revenge will be in the park's mirror maze (similar to Bloody Mirror last year) so it probably will probably be the weakest at the park..

Brotherhood seems like a hooded maze, and The Legend of Crank Jack seems to have an incredibly weird theme and concept (though I think it might be interesting).

The Final Cut, Festino, and Dead and Breakfest are also returning with some changes.

Still very odd lineup.. Lets hope they pull this off.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Visited Dreamland during the Frosted Fairground event today (first time visiting) and wow, what a lovely park!

I was very impressed with the way everything is landscaped, there's greenery, everything looks fresh and the park is very well presented as a whole.  The night-time lighting is amazing and combined with the music made for a really nice festive atmosphere - also, 9pm close in December?! :o

Scenic Railway is great fun, whilst not a thrill ride as such it's delightful to see a heritage coaster rebuilt and operating again, and there were a few moments of airtime in the back of the car.  There is more than enough to entertain for an afternoon and evening, and I cannot recommend the Frosted Fairground event enough.

38540292794_501f609589_b.jpg

38371604785_79566e86ba_b.jpg

38371603015_6472d088e5_b.jpg

38540294114_a8a48d2774_b.jpg

38540295014_da09bd1a96_b.jpg

38540298394_5af39511a7_b.jpg

38540295604_2f397e626b_b.jpg

38540297054_c3bd612a55_b.jpg

Will definitely have to look into visiting for Screamland next year!

I do have to say I agree on the park looking quite pretty after the renovation, and holy god do the christmas lights look beautiful.

I really hope the bold injections of money turn out good for them as its a pretty nice place. I might have to go to visit their winter event next year!

I do think my experience with Screamland was perhaps more of a sour one this year, but its definitely a very interesting event that seems to change drastically year on year.

I guess I would recommend Screamland though, as from memory its only around 15 quid for a ticket, which for 6 mazes and the park itself is a bargain.

Scenic overall isn't anything too extreme though I do have to say some of the double downs in the back can give some surprisingly aggressive ejector air.

Other than its pretty tame but I do have to admit that it looks pretty sexy as the main icon to the park :wub:

Nice report though, I might have to get my a** back down to Margate.

• 3 months later...

So Dreamland have opened the Zamperla catalogue and just gone for one of each.

Hmmm. They do need more attractions, but I love the idea of them being primarily a heritage park, and this doesn't fit with that at all. I guess it's damned expensive sourcing, refurbishing and maintaining vintage rides though.

It doesn't fit with the heritage/vintage idea at all, but I don't believe that alone could bring in the number of visitors they need to survive in the long term. Much of the feedback was that there were not enough thrilling rides and let's be honest there aren't many thrilling vintage rides out there. So I guess they have no choice. This will be better for the park in the long run.