Dreamland Margate

Whiteknuckle

Thats one of the sadder things about the loss of the Scenic Railway. After the pulling down of Cyclone in 2006 the UK woodie coaster is pretty much dead now. Apart from rides at Blackpool, Oakwood and Great Yarmouth theres very little of these unique rides left. A really big shame that this has happened to the coaster.

You know Sam I agree with you, this is one hell of a big and confusing build, especially with the trains.The other problem is with it being Grade 2, they can't use new wood, it has to be all reclaimed wood/steel etc :D But I guess, good luck to whoever takes on this huge task :D

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I made my way up there today from Kent and was really impressed; very informative and the turnout was great. I already knew alot about the project as it was but seeing the site from the inside and talking/listening to the people behind it was well worth the trip up there. I will probably post a small trip report as soon as I am done uploading all the pictures.

I just hope they don't plan on making the Railway without a brakeman...

Scenic Railway, sponsored by Kumbak.

Shivers.

I made my way up there today from Kent and was really impressed; very informative and the turnout was great. I already knew alot about the project as it was but seeing the site from the inside and talking/listening to the people behind it was well worth the trip up there. I will probably post a small trip report as soon as I am done uploading all the pictures.

Were there any visible plans for future attractions and the like? Did you get to see what sort of state the railway is really in? Wish I had known about this in advance.

I did indeed. I am in the process of making a trip report now though it probably won't cover everything in detail.

In terms of the Railway, the sad truth is that it has deteriorated greatly in the time it has been closed. On first glance it doesn't look too bad but as you get closer you can see the real damage. Bits of the support structure have fallen off, the walkways seem unstable and clearly the station area was half destroyed by the fire. There is no doubt that a great deal of the wood will need replacing due to this lack of recent maintenance..

Apparently a tender to restore the Scenic went out today/yesterday and should hopefully be announced in the coming months. With their experience, it seems likely that Blackpool Pleasure Beach could be the ones who undertake the challenge.

As for future rides, I take it you mean ones that have been earmarked for stage 1? ;)

If so, a few rides from the original historic collection will be used. This should include the Caterpillar, The Whip, Corbire Wheel and the Flying Scooters. New acquisitions include a vintage Hurricane Jets ride, a juvenile car set, and possibly a waltzer. Apparently there should also be two classic/iconic Bembom rides returning though I am unaware of what these are. (Sadly, no concept art of these rides)

Sorry to hear you missed this one. It was advertised on BBC news and Meridian though I know quite a few people who would've liked to check it out for themselves but didn't find out until the last minute.

Sorry to hear you missed this one. It was advertised on BBC news and Meridian though I know quite a few people who would've liked to check it out for themselves but didn't find out until the last minute.

Is a pity, seeing as I follow the project on facebook and subscribe to their email it is a shame nothing from them alerted me to it, maybe I've had my eyes closed. Pleased it was well attended though.

In terms of the Railway, the sad truth is that it has deteriorated greatly in the time it has been closed. On first glance it doesn't look too bad but as you get closer you can see the real damage. Bits of the support structure have fallen off, the walkways seem unstable and clearly the station area was half destroyed by the fire. There is no doubt that a great deal of the wood will need replacing due to this lack of recent maintenance..

Apparently a tender to restore the Scenic went out today/yesterday and should hopefully be announced in the coming months. With their experience, it seems likely that Blackpool Pleasure Beach could be the ones who undertake the challenge.

As for future rides, I take it you mean ones that have been earmarked for stage 1? ;)

If so, a few rides from the original historic collection will be used. This should include the Caterpillar, The Whip, Corbire Wheel and the Flying Scooters. New acquisitions include a vintage Hurricane Jets ride, a juvenile car set, and possibly a waltzer. Apparently there should also be two classic/iconic Bembom rides returning though I am unaware of what these are. (Sadly, no concept art of these rides)

I'm not surprised the railway has rotted, would be nice if someone with the expertise of PBBP help with the restoration, I imagine it would be easy to mess it up.

Can't wait to see how they present these classic rides. Wonder how much effort will go in to retro-restoration, as some had some fairly modern (and ugly (yes you, Millennium Bug)) jobs done on them. Hope to see them back in their full glory. Would be great to see something like the amount of love and care that goes into the Carters Steam Fair being applied here, it would be very easy to have this place looking cheap and tacky if they don't have the resources to do it properly.

An adult Whip is an awesome thing, that's probably what I'm looking forward to as much as anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...