Dreamland Margate

Whiteknuckle

Screamland was excellent yesterday, the mazes were very different and had a lot of quality put into them; personal favourites were The Sleep Experiment (terrifying!) and Dead and Breakfast.  The former has a bit of an E10 vibe to it actually, albeit different.

Maze queues moved very slowly however once inside the experience was better as you never caught up with a group in front... happy medium needed though IMO.

Rides in the dark were fun, mazes were amazing and overall a fantastic event.

Went to Screamland Saturday for the first time. Found the event good, but maybe not amazing. Quite a few mazes, but all quite short and perhaps lacking a bit in some scares. They were quite theatrical though in places which was cool.

Festininos Funhouse:

One of the better mazes, fun clown bits including a ball pond somewhere and maybe one of the longer mazes too. Reminded me of Big Top a little bit.

7/10

Dead and Breakfast/Tunnels Of Terror

The opening was literally an old woman moaning and complaining about us staying and not giving a **** about customer service or how good or stay was. The opening was great but the rest of the maze fairly mediocre if I’m honest.

The one thing which drops this maze down for me is the sneaky/strange fact they actually class this one as two mazes due to the Tunnels Of Terror Part At the end. This honestly makes no sense as it’s not only misleading but technically fake advertising as they actually have six mazes and not seven. If they’d just kept it as the one maze (Dead and Breakfast) they may have had a quality attraction here. 

6/10- just for the opening 

Sleep Experiment

Probably my favourite maze of the evening, reminded me of things like the Sanctuary and Asylum a little. Some good acting here and some scares, some more misleading than others. It wasn’t a long maze but definitely a good quality one.

8/10

HMS Mary Decomposed

The set pieces were great but I wouldn’t say it was the best. Sketchy plotline and the scares didn’t seem to be the best in this one either. The theming literally was the saving grace here.

5/10

Punch and Judy Horror Show

Another Circusesque type maze here, but this one was really neat and had some good acting and was one of the better for scares too. The man in the opening room was very entertaining and the scares throughout seemed more effective too. Probably only second to Sleep Experiment for me.

7.5/10

Upside Down Maze

The last Maze of the night and the only one in a (sort of more) permant structure. Sadly this was the weakest maze by far, as nothing really happened apart from some scare actors dressed in full black following around. The idea of a mirror scare maze was cool but wasn’t the best. 

2/10- Vulcan Peak might have actually been a little bit better. A little bit better!

Also tried out the rides at night too (as well as the day). The Scenic Railway is a great charm of a ride and fantastic to see such a classic coaster open. Whilst the Yarmouth version is better, one must remember this attraction is technically almost 100 years old and was the equivalent of Taron/Helix to the generation at the time (in terms of thrills and excitement). 

The new Zamperla rides were surprisingly fun too, especially the Pendulam and new Enterprise type rides. Staff were friendly too despite working long days. 

Whilst the mazes  were hit and miss, I would still recommend visiting, especially to support an independent park like this. Hopefully Margate can go on the up again after this.

It definitely features a better atnosphere in the evening/night than in the day, that’s for sure.

• 9 months later...

Sceamland is a odd event for me. I like every year feels so different but in some ways I feel a little miffed that mazes such as Paradise Foundation, Crank Jack, or Festino (2016) end up completely on the chopping block. Some of these mazes I just listed had some brilliant unique ideas that I think really justified more than just one year of operation.

The event certainly never gets stale due to this but I really wish they would keep the stuff that does work like Paradise, which was such a awesome attraction that should of been a staple at the event!

I didn't get to visit last year but can't wait until my next visit, I really think Screamland is something different from the usual.

• 8 months later...

It is sad news, but a sensible decision. The park did have a successful season last year supposedly pulling in 650,000 (double the year before) from a short summer season from April to September. I am hopeful it will return in 21. Screamland last year, I thoroughly enjoyed and I too would hate for that to not return in 21!

• 9 months later...
14 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

I have found this amazing YouTube video of Dreamland Margate in 1999. Could you please tell me if applicable the current location of the Rides featured in the Video. I am aware that Dreamland endured a lot of change around the time this Video was shot.

https://youtu.be/z_Dg6-LoSZU

For the coasters, look here

https://rcdb.com/4826.htm

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2021 at 4:11 PM, Mattgwise said:

For the coasters, look here

https://rcdb.com/4826.htm

@Mattgwise  prior to posting my question I had already looked on Coasterpedia and The Rollercoaster Database. Due to Dreamland having multiple rides of the same name and type over the years, it was near impossible to work out which featured in this video.Thank you for your advise I apologize for the delayed response. @Mattgwise due to Dreamland having many rides that have shared the same name, could you please asst me to figure out the currant location and fate of the exact rides captured in this video.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Following a few years of focusing on entertainment,Dreamland will once again become an Amusement Park. Since lockdown many rides have been sold. 

Over the last few months Dreamland has had a massive refurbishment. They’ll be attractions  to ,enthrall both the young and old. Prior to the Pandemic the horizon of Dreamland was glowing. Dreamland heavily investigated in a dozen rides manufactured by Zamperla. Unfortunately due to financial strain due to the pandemic most of the Zamperla rides were sold. Furthermore some of the rides restored by David Littleboy left. 

With the permanent end of Carters Steam Fair could Dreamland be its permanent new home. I know the owners of this Steam Fair were seeking  a permanent home for the collection.

With this refurbishment could we see The Wedgewood Tea Cup Ride,Dreamland Drop;Dodgems and Caterpillar return. Although these rides left Dreamland they were placed in storage.

Dreamland is now under the ownership of Richard Caddell, the man who presents Sooty and Sweep,. Caddell has a track record of resuscitating  dying Amusement  and Theme Parks. Caddell has recently created Sooty Land at Crealy Adventure Park in Devon.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the money omitted from Sooty Land has allowed Caddell to restore Dreamland. I hope Caddell has purchased some permanent Theme Park rides rather than travelling versions.

Please can you descuss your thoughts and hopes for the 2023 season at Dreamland Margate?

https://blooloop.com/theme-park/news/dreamland-margate-opening-new-family-coaster/

They do keep giving it a go with this place. It'd need serious investment to get off the ground, so I don't have much hope. I hope they bring back Screamland. That was a decent event. 

Do you have a source for Richard Cadell owning the place? Only thing I can see is that he loaned a ghost train. It appears Sands Heritage own the place. 

2 hours ago, Mattgwise said:

They do keep giving it a go with this place. It'd need serious investment to get off the ground, so I don't have much hope. I hope they bring back Screamland. That was a decent event. 

Do you have a source for Richard Cadell owning the place? Only thing I can see is that he loaned a ghost train. It appears Sands Heritage own the place. 

I was told by UK Theme Parks in 2021. Obviously a lot can change 2 years. Due to this the ownership could have been passed onto Sands Heritage. This was my question to UK Theme Parks”Who is Richard,I thought Dreamland was owned by Thanet Counsel? this was the answer I received”Richard cadell is the one who is trying to get it running, they have been in administration 2 times in the last 3 years. Caterpillar, pinball x, air race, crazy coaster and bikes have gone. Gyro swing is up for 800k and dreamcatcher for 750k”.  

@Mattgwise I hope this information is interesting and helpful for you.

• 1 month later...

Dreamland is nearing the end of an extensive refurbishment. As some will know the rides at Dreamland have taken a backseat since 2020. Fortunately this is changing. Dreamland are once again investing in the rides. Each ride has been thoroughly overhauled. It appears that the rides restored by David Littleboy are becoming operational again. Unfortunately for those who liked The Speedway it’s  been removed and sold. After a couple of years under the influence of Richard Caddell Dreamland are opening their own attractions. Included in the refurbished Dreamland will be the Big Wheel that has been renovated,the David Littleboy rides expect the Speedway,Scenic Railway, Busy Bee Rollercoaster and Helter Skelter. In addition they’ll be new additions. Yes you read it correctly NEW ADDITIONS!! Dreamland has supposedly recovered from the implications of The Coronavirus  pandemic. These new additions will be a refurbished Hall Of Mirrors,new Crazy Golf Course,Train Ride. I’m overjoyed and surprised to be saying this but Dreamland have bought Cliffhanger the Rollercoaster from Blackgang Chine on The Isle Of White!! There’s construction workers at Dreamland who are installing the supports into the ground. 

Once this Rollercoaster opens it’ll be around for the foreseeable future. Dreamland would not pay for supports to be dug in the ground for a temporary addition.

Note The Dreamland Drop installed in 2018 will never be ridden again. Despite only being a few years old apparently many new parts are required. Sadly Dreamland would rather invest in other new rides. It’s tragic that such an iconic and brilliant ride only operated at Dreamland for 2 years. I Dreamland didn’t want to invest in this ride they should sell it. I hate rides being left SBNO at Theme Parks and left to rot. 

Overall I’m happy that Dreamland has undergone a huge renovation. I look forward to seeing what it’s like. Apparently they’ll be a grand reopening day. It goes without saying that the music and entertainment section of Dreamland has also had a refit.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjZ1_Tqtsv9AhWCQ0EAHRdnCksQxfQBKAB6BAgbEAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Faccessaa.co.uk%2Fdreamland-margate-to-double-number-of-gigs-following-winter-renovations%2F&usg=AOvVaw1OL6JauJTcfFj1IrkAimPA