Feedback of the Forums

NickD

my thoughts:

I agree that their needs to be female moderators.

you get that everywhere now- forums trying to equal it out.. some males, some females. and it even extends beyond forums to things like TV shows (for example BBC pannel shows must always now have a female member of the pannel).

I don't have anything to say about what you say about how females are treated. personally since I've been a member here, no one's treated me like that

I would actually like to see female mods. Even though the guys do a great Job it does feel abit lopsided that pretty much all the mods are male give one of the regular female members that posts well and is liked as a mod.

I know who I'd like to have as a mod, not because she's a female but because she contributes to our community. Who would you like to see?  :)

A number of females are already involved in running the site. For those who attend meets this is fairly common knowledge (not who exactly) and is not something we particularly hide. We make the team based on people who contribute above and beyond the normal membership (both online but also at meets). If leveraging serious accusations against the team or members of this community please do via PM to Iannem, Marc, Mark9 or Myself. We are open to discussions in a productive manner about improving the team, but any further matters relating to this please PM one of us above and we will be more than happy to respond and explain anything further to you.

Finally to clarify Mer was at one point on the team but was agreed at the time she would step down from that role for underlying reasons. But I am sure she will be happy to hear that you have put her forward for a role on the team again.

I'd like to see Mer tbf.

Awww :wub: I don't really know you that well and I've been a lot quieter on the forums these days, so it was a pleasant surprise to read that!

I did also laugh, because...well ;) The following best explains it :lol:

Finally to clarify Mer was at one point on the team but was agreed at the time she would step down from that role for underlying reasons. But I am sure she will be happy to hear that you have put her forward for a role on the team again.

Heh.

Just writing to respond to a few things and clear a couple things up.

First and foremost I want to address the misinterpretation that I think misogyny has occurred from within the mod team. I don't think that. The current mod team is comprised of some thoroughly decent members of the community and I'm not for one second suggesting that any one of them have been sexist, I apologise if it seemed like I was saying this. I wasn't. My problem comes from the misogyny and general creepiness that I've personally seen displayed by some of the ordinary members towards women members.

The fact is that this sort of behaviour can't really be comprehensively dealt with by an all male moderating team, and banning a member or two simply won't cut the mustard, certain problems need certain perspectives. 

In regards to this;

It's not really that strange when you see the gender ratio at meets.

Perhaps the incredibly imbalanced gender ratio at meets is a result of the community seeming threatening to some female members or guests who've experienced or seen some of the more toxic activity from certain members and the general lack of female representation on the main team? Just a thought.

Perhaps the incredibly imbalanced gender ratio at meets is a result of the community seeming threatening to some female members or guests who've experienced or seen some of the more toxic activity from certain members and the general lack of female representation on the main team? Just a thought.

The gender ratio has stayed constant for years and years whether we have had female moderators or not; it is also similar throughout the entire community

Please drop any of the moderator team a PM to outline who has behaved in this way and where

I'd like to see Mer tbf.

You're abit slow on this... I started the #JusticeForMer campaign a long time ago...  ;)

Picking mods are like picking new employees for a job, I don't think anyone here would go into a business and start complaining because all the staff members are male.

The decision is made by anonymous applicants... It's not about who you are, it's about who is suitable to moderate a forum full of nearly 200 members*.

(* rough guess) 

See I think the guys do lovely job this is actually a great forum. I'll use one forum for example they have a Social Media Team comprised of 2 female members that help the hive of the forums and it makes the females feel they have a role sort of thing. But as you've said you have females behind the scenes but as I've said I can't fault what the mods do they stop bad things from happening, love having words with me and for that I don't mind that it's run by guys.

The gender ratio has stayed constant for years and years whether we have had female moderators or not; it is also similar throughout the entire community

This is so accurate...

Over the decade I've been involved in the coaster community in one shape or another, whether in be on a forum or through the likes of the RCCGB, the ratio of male to female is probably something ridiculous like 50:1 (N.B. ratio may not be accurate, I'm gonna say 5:1 mtf based on a recent trip with CF)...

Coaster enthusiasm is pretty much like most 'geeky' things, it isn't particularly that wide-ranging when you get deeper than the basic visiting theme parks to have fun... Whilst the ride community is much more all-encompassing than say things like gaming, there's not really much a singular forum can do to get more females to sign up and become part of it...

Publically on the forum I would say it's pretty decent, whilst privately (which is what you're looking at here Cornflakes), I think the team pretty much have their heads screwed on about the whole thing... If it continues I'm sure the offending person will end up being chucked on the streets outside TPM Towers quickly and without drama... You can't change people who believe in this 'banta' or 'I'm gonna troll this forum for the lulz' thing...

#trustinmarc

• 2 weeks later...