Thorpe Park's Old Days

Frankie

I remeber when I used to get the excited feeling listening to the "twinkly" music as I crossed over the bridge. Just don't get that feeling since I visit regularly. I can't really describe the feeling, but I'm sure most of you have experienced this.

I know what you mean, I get it at the end of the harry potter trailer ;)

• 6 months later...

All I can remember from past at Thorpe park was first ride on Colossus epic moment loggers leap when mate got hit in nose by guys head in front of him on drop .! And the ride like a haunted house style thing can rember what was called vaguely rember was near the kfc area but all changed ? And the dome bit at the end of the bridge :unsure: Still loving the park now :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

So what was happening ten years ago?A new logo was introduced.Posted ImagePosted ImageZodiac, the borrowed Enterprise wheel from a local fair, opened in the Lost City. Plagued with downtime it was up and down more then something that goes up and down a lot.Posted ImageDetonator also opened on the site where Wicked Witches Haunt had been. Unlike Zodiac it was open however it did suffer a little bit of frequent downtime.,Posted ImageVortex represents one of Thorpe Park's biggest failings as the ride failed to appear in March when the park reopened for the 2001 season. The only thing at the Vortex site was some dirt and a digger. The ride would finally appear in May and would open mid way through June. The park didn't help itself by advertising all three rides as open from the start of the season and the park appeared on Watchdog twice that year.And finally a little known ride was advertised as and would in my opinion the biggest factor in Thorpe's uprising from struggling childrens park to a theme park force.Posted ImageThanks to Total Thorpe Park for the piccy.Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I believe there have been two mini/ crazy golf courses at the park, one during the 80s and then Jungle Zone Family Golf that opened in 1994. I think it was built where there used to be some slides coming down the side of the Dome and now Rush and Quantum stand in this area. It was a great little Jungle themed crazy golf course with lots of bamboo and Zebra print painted areas. I think it closed after the 2000 season.

I believe there have been two mini/ crazy golf courses at the park, one during the 80s and then Jungle Zone Family Golf that opened in 1994. I think it was built where there used to be some slides coming down the side of the Dome and now Rush and Quantum stand in this area. It was a great little Jungle themed crazy golf course with lots of bamboo and Zebra print painted areas. I think it closed after the 2000 season.

YES!! I really thought I had imagined it - and I remember the slides coming down the side of the Dome. Think I played on the golf in 1990/91

• 1 month later...

I LOVED the music played when walking through the entrance of the park! The first time I remember going to park was 2001 when I was 7, and hearing the music when entering the park always took me back to when I went there as a child. But now they play chart music so whenever I go I don't get the same feeling I used to - the park is beginning to feel like a different place completely, but that doesn't stop me loving it any less :)

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd drag this up, for those who aren't sure..

I'm sorry but what is the "Sunken Gardens"?

An area beside where the original Fish was, connected from Model World. The last big green area to go, for Stealth. Althopugh part was kept and is still there, under Stealth's launch track, where The Swarm boards have since gone up.. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Thanks! The whole place was completely unrecognisable when the big change happened. It was like a whole area of Thorpe Park that I knew quite well simply no longer existed. Now I know whereabouts the old attractions used to be in comparison to Stealth.It was a lovely little area; it made the park feel much less compact, especially with the Farm still open. There was a lot to explore.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking again at Neilfever's photos above I was thinking how much nicer Thorpe Park used to look when there were more grassy areas and gardens:The whole Model World & Sunken Garden area, the relaxing flower beds & immaculate gardens that formed the outdoor section of The Magic Mill and Mr Rabbit's Tropical Travels, the grassy hill that was flattened to make way for the X:\ No Way Out pyramid just to name a few.Whilst I obviously understand why each of these areas have changed over time, I do think the park could do with a few more 'green' areas just to break up all the concrete. I will not hold my breath though. :)Also thanks for posting those photos Neil, it is great to be able to compare the area, I have often wondered where the various sections of Stealth are now in comparison to the old Model World & classic Flying Fish area.

Looking again at Neilfever's photos above I was thinking how much nicer Thorpe Park used to look when there were more grassy areas and gardens:

One of my favourite quotes of the year was "If I wanted grass and trees I'd go to a garden centre"That being said, every park I've ever been to as large grassy areas and trees. Thorpe is the exception.