Thorpe Park's Old Days

Frankie

• 3 months later...

Added these few bits and bobs earlier on Twitter, running through Ranger County, with the concept art of the re-theme AND relocation of A Drive in the Country, to Miss Hippos Fungle Safari.Posted ImageConcept art here of what will later become the Asylum and Inferno shopPosted Imageand a press shot showing off a newly re-themed Magic Mill, to Mr Rabbit's Tropical Travels, which would later become the Nemesis Inferno ride areaPosted ImageAlways nice to look back at some of these classic bits.. :mellow::D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I can recall visiting Thorpe Park on a few occasions many years ago, probably early-mid 80's when it was more of the "family park", and had some more gentle things such as the Magic Mill.

My favourite was Phantom Phantasia, and I was delighted just recently to find a video of the ride on YouTube (also Magic Mill).

Cinema 180 had two films running, IIRC, on alternate showings. There was the fire engine one and also I do seem to recall something about a crash. There were some rollercoasters features, plus a powerboat weaving around moored boats in a harbour.

And who can forget the Treasure Island train ride, when it stopped and you watched live pirates who would end up throwing water at the passengers! And the Bronco Bikes that you could try and ride down a line to win a prize - the challenge being they were fixed so it went left if you steered right and vice versa.

I went again in the late 90's and enjoyed some of the newer things that had emerged since the 80's, especially Detonator.

I have been going there for the last 2-3 years quite a lot since getting an Annual Pass, but it doesn't have the same draw for kids now. I take my daughter (who is now 5) and she used to love the Canada Creek Railway and Octopus's Garden with various little kiddie rides. It wasn't much but alongside the Carousel and the Arcade machines it was enough to keep her entertained. Now that both of those former elements have gone, Thorpe will lose more of my business, which is a great shame.

To be fair out of all the Merlin parks, I think Thorpe should have been the last choice to convert into a teen/thrill seeker park.

Through the 80's and 90's Thorpe had everything beautifully laid out in front of them. A great and strong children's area (Ranger County), family friendly rides such as the Flying Fish, Loggers, The Canada Creek Railway, Wicked Witches Haunt and a host of other great things that made Thorpe a great family day out..

In my opinion, the physical change from family park to thrill park was with the addition of Inferno in 2003. That was when it looked like it was too late to turn back.

Of course I love Thorpe now, but I think it may have been stronger if it remained family only. All those great family attractions that are gradually getting removed. Shame it can no longer connect with many families who have been going there for years.

Still what's done is done and there is no going back now.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Long before Storm Surge, Octopus Gardens and the adjacent Thorpe Mega Store (I think it was a themed restaurant at some point) had quite a lot of figures dotted around like this. By the time I knew the park, this octopus had long gone, but I found this great video of the sculptor making it.

He also made that odd statue that is now situated in Loggers Leap. You can see it was originally intended for somewhere else that I don't recognise... is it Trapper's Trail where Slammer now is?

There are more videos on his website, including many iconic Chessington sculptures, like the dragon tunnel and the carved Buddha faces from Dragon River.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what has actually happened to the area where the farm was, as far as I am aware it still remains there and hasn't been used to this day. Maybe thorpe have some plans to put something there in the near future?

I remember when I visited the farm, it was good old days. I think thorpe have made a big mistake to remove the farm and CRC and just hope they bring it back sometime soon, although this is unlikely to happen. If they brought it back it would certainly be nice and thorpe could maybe open up for feb half term- as I will post in a different topic.

Go on thorpe, you have just left CRC there to rot so why not bring it back?

I think the farm remains pretty much the same as it used to be, I'm sure its owners haven't made any major changes. One way of finding out is to walk down Monks Walk, I think you can see it from there. I miss it too, but not that much.

There are more videos on his website, including many iconic Chessington sculptures, like the dragon tunnel and the carved Buddha faces from Dragon River.

What's his website?

The farm area has now been partially flooded due to the infilling of islands for the likes of Swarm; it's been the park's designated 'flood zone' if you will for ages now. All of the buildings that are there remain as they are Grade I listed I think, but they've probably just been left there really. I remember some pictures were posted a year or two back, and a fair amount had been flooded; more than I was expecting (I've had a look for the pictures, but can't seem to find them unfortunately).

The farm closed during the 2006 season due to declining popularity not making it viable. The park were changing target audience and I guess the farm didn't suit people then. The direction they're heading now, thrillseekers, just has no place for a farm, so I can't see it being brought back. I doubt there's any plans to use the area for any investment now; it is very close to Thorpe so there's noise issues to consider and such. I don't think any more infilling is planned either, so it'll probably just stay how it is. The CCR track was all removed slowly but surely, so it's not as easy to bring back connections to the area either.

As RideAddict has said, if you go down Monk's Walk by the side of the park, there's opportunities to see it still. Though all you'll probably see are some old buildings, overgrown grass and a bit more water than before. :P

That would be the old site of Treasure Island; an attraction from the 80s/early 90s. I think they connected a long bit of land from there to somewhere near the Maintainance Building a few years back and sorted out a 'pathway' on Treasure Island, so I assume that they could use it more as a service route for easy access to other side of the park whilst it's open. Not too sure on that though.

Ride and track delivers I think come through the service gate just to the right of the park (Staines-way), and are stored in various areas. For example, Storm Surge was stored in the staff car park for a while, and some of Swarm's track and supports were placed near the Maintainence Building. Again, though, not 100% sure!

Just wondering, how big waas the farm area? I cannot seem to remember the size of it myself :P

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=4&gs_ri=psy-ab&pq=google+maps&cp=5&gs_id=k&xhr=t&q=thorpe+park&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1366&bih=643&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Look at the top left of Manor Lake, it is that bit of land with a very obvious loop of CCR track in the centre with buildings around the outside. The Treasure Island area is up and left a bit behind Rumba Rapids and will be linked up with the next island for development by Swarm so could possibly come back into use.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=4&gs_ri=psy-ab&pq=google+maps&cp=5&gs_id=k&xhr=t&q=thorpe+park&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1366&bih=643&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Look at the top left of Manor Lake, it is that bit of land with a very obvious loop of CCR track in the centre with buildings around the outside. The Treasure Island area is up and left a bit behind Rumba Rapids and will be linked up with the next island for development by Swarm so could possibly come back into use.

I never realised the bit of land "behind" the Swarm was so close to the Swarm island - are they planning to eventually link the 2 for the next coaster?

I am referring to the bit of land with Stealth's shadow on, or the land to the right as you stand and look at the Stealth top hat.