Spinball Whizzer

D4n

I think Spinball Whizzer is an overrated ride that gets ridiculous queue times compered to the better spinning coaster at Chessington! It lacks theminmg and is incredibly slow loading! However you get some good air-time and a slightly different ride every time! 8/10 :D

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was really dull. It didn't spin much and it was just generally boring. 5/10. The queues are awfully long too, And the 'Wahoo, what a ride!' thing in the station drives me mad.

If your car didn't spin much then it will have been balenced try to not balence your car to make it spin!The queues aren't long during Early Ride Time, do you have a Merlin Annual Pass?The Wahoo thing has now been completely turned off ;)

I'm going to try and get back to Alton Towers this year, but I'm still not sure if I can be bothered to go on the Whizzer. Now I'm a person who believes you must try something first before you can slam it down, but when I'm at Alton there are so much other great rides in the park like Nemesis and Hex just to name a few and I don't know if I can be bothered to queue up for Spinball when Dragon;s Fury is basically on my doorstep. And just from looking at the track of Spinball it just doesn't seem as fun as Fury - I could be wrong but I'd rather try other things at Alton when I hardly ever get to go there.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to try and get back to Alton Towers this year, but I'm still not sure if I can be bothered to go on the Whizzer. Now I'm a person who believes you must try something first before you can slam it down, but when I'm at Alton there are so much other great rides in the park like Nemesis and Hex just to name a few and I don't know if I can be bothered to queue up for Spinball when Dragon;s Fury is basically on my doorstep. And just from looking at the track of Spinball it just doesn't seem as fun as Fury - I could be wrong but I'd rather try other things at Alton when I hardly ever get to go there.

Go on Spinball if you have time- it's a decent ride and you can always make use of the Single Rider Line :)

Yeah, from what I can remember, Dragon's Fury is the better of the two.I went on Spinball yesterday and queued 45 mins for it and it wasn't all that good, it didn't seem to spin much...And the little machines in the queue line where you press the buttons; my god, they're annoying.Having said that, I think it is quite a well themed ride tbh.

• 10 months later...

I love Spinball but Dragon's Fury eats it up for breakfast, In terms of length, thrill, just everything to be honest :lol: . By the way , does Dragon's Fury have a better throughput than Spinball? As it's Que seems to move alot faster.

I'm gonna go against the crowd and say that I prefer Spinball to Dragons Fury, I found the first bit of fury was very good, but after the second lift, it was well shocking, slow and boring, it just spun at low speeds. Spinball was brilliant! It seems more compact, faster the queue is better for me, and there was never a dull moment from the end of the lift to the breaks.Spinball also spun far, far more for me (we had the same people in the same seats) as we rode them only a few days apart.I can see why you would prefer Fury though, it's far more of a main coaster at Chesington, it's longer and I preferred it to vampire, it hurt my back!

I'm gonna go against the crowd and say that I prefer Spinball to Dragons Fury, I found the first bit of fury was very good, but after the second lift, it was well shocking, slow and boring, it just spun at low speeds. Spinball was brilliant! It seems more compact, faster the queue is better for me, and there was never a dull moment from the end of the lift to the breaks.Spinball also spun far, far more for me (we had the same people in the same seats) as we rode them only a few days apart.I can see why you would prefer Fury though, it's far more of a main coaster at Chesington, it's longer and I preferred it to vampire, it hurt my back!

How can you say after the second lift hill on Dragon's Fury is boring???If you don't get a fair amount of spin throughout the ride. You are vertually guaranteed (I know it is due to the weight of the car and what position different weights are) a good spin!Plus, the last drop "thing" before entering the breakes is amazing!And what a way to end the ride hearing a roaring dragon saying "Are you survived; Please, Exit to the left!"Sorry, I do not agree that after the second lift hill on Dragon's Fury is slow and boring!

How can you say after the second lift hill on Dragon's Fury is boring???If you don't get a fair amount of spin throughout the ride. You are vertually guaranteed (I know it is due to the weight of the car and what position different weights are) a good spin!Plus, the last drop "thing" before entering the breakes is amazing!And what a way to end the ride hearing a roaring dragon saying "Are you survived; Please, Exit to the left!"Sorry, I do not agree that after the second lift hill on Dragon's Fury is slow and boring!

Fair enough it spins; but it spins slowly, it's just a chicane and a small drop to use up the rest of the gravity really.Well for me anyway.Spinball has a number of elements at the end that I find much better, just my opinion really.Oh we had 2 on one side and none on the other on both rides by the way.

• 6 months later...

No... :DIt could just be a much needed re-paint.I personally hope it's not a Sonic re-theme, I think the Pinball theme is great, it just wasn't implemented very well.Also the ride is supposed to be re-located soon as pointed out in the Medium Term Development Plan.They might do but I don't see why they would when it's well known that management don't like the ride, especially it's location, as it takes away from the view of the Towers. Also it's just going to make an already garish ride, even more vibrant. As well as this we all know Spinball Whizzer seriously struggles with the queue's, why would they spruce it up, which would result in yet a further increase in popularity. Yet more evidence against a re-theme is the fact that it is advertised to open for the February Half Term event, and it's advertised to open as Spinball Whizzer. No re-theme happening in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think it's confirmed, just rumoured. Although the general feeling is that it's going ahead. Unless yu can confirm it yourself, Peter :DI'm in two minds about this really, on one hand, it feels like a step back in a way for Merlin who seemed to be steering away from sponsorships.The way I see it though, they're able to give the ride a spruce up, even if it's just the repainting to that darker blue, new signs, queueline games and some new music and announcements, I'll be happy. Seems as though they're trying to just improve the appearance of the ride in the short term, until they make a decision, whether to relocate, or a more long term retheme.

Well I did say it was just my opinion from what I could see :D Even though it's still not 100% confirmed,But yes, hopefully it is a Short Term thing. And thinking about it, if the ride is re-themed to Sonic, Sega are more than likely to be funding it, meaning we get a better themed ride but one where the budget isn't going to be taken away from Thirteen and/or Ug Land re-theme. This will also mean the last of "Tussauds' bodge jobs(Rita and Spinball Whizzer)" is at least glazed over. I do doubt how much of a "re-theme" this will be, probably just a re-paint and quick name change. Hopefully it is still going to be open for February Half Term despite being re-painted at the very least. :D

I'm not overly keen on the whole Sonic Idea, but if it is the direction that Alton Towers want to take to spruce up the ride then by all means go ahead. Also, I'm not sure whether I'm right in saying this, but would Sega not give them a bit of money/pay for the work done to the ride?