Spinball Whizzer

D4n

I don't think they're using originality at all. Unless you mean name wise. Like I said the other day, I think it's just a way in which they can spruce the ride up a bit in the short term, before they decide what to do long term. Plus it gives them something to market for Half Term.Really though, I think a lot of people overlook some of the amazing creative talent that goes in to making some of these attractions; but that's another conversation for another day.

Another collaboration by Merlin? So this means we have SAW (collaboration), Th13teen (wow - original...) and Wild Asia (oh my, something remotely clever). Now this. Are they losing originality?

Not really..... considering Th13teen looks fantastic at the moment, Saw was a better then usual Thorpe addition and Wild Asia looks like it could start Chessington off well for the tennies...Theme park enjoyment is so hard at times as people are just never satisfied.

I'd rather see a crap name like th13teen and some good theming and good ride experience rather than the crap that Thorpe call SAW:The ride.I mean lets face it, looking at SW6, there is a lot of original theming in there, it's not just ripped off a popular film! Fact being that all the money Thorpe must have paid for the "SAW" rights is phenomonal, I'd rather have seen a SW6 style attraction with original theme rather than a theme to pull in Chavs!

Haha, yeah I agree with a lot of your comments Graeme, although I don't think Saw is a bad ride. I do believe we could have had more substance to Saw had the money not been spent on the rights to the film.Like Sheepie, I'm hoping the Sonic theme will be something short term. I'm sure it'll be fun none the less.

Not really..... considering Th13teen looks fantastic at the moment, Saw was a better then usual Thorpe addition and Wild Asia looks like it could start Chessington off well for the tennies...Theme park enjoyment is so hard at times as people are just never satisfied.

I was more talking about the name for Th13teen - I am in no way disagreeing that the ride itself looks fantastic. SAW, well, as much as I can't disagree with the fact it is a great ride, I'm more against the whole collaboration thing. As for Wild Asia, I've no problems with it. :)

I can see where you're coming from Tom. It definately won't be to the same standard of Th13teen, or many of Alton's other attractions, and I think people people are making out this "retheme" is going to be something more than it is.I don't think it's any secret that current management are unhappy with Spinball and (old) Rita in terms of appearance, so I would expect improvements eventually, Maybe sooner than we think.

According to Towers Times, the brochures for Alton Towers have been updated to show Sonic on the front of a Spinball Whizzer car...But once again there is no proof as the 'image was so small it was impossible to get a photo of'! I guess it is evidence enough, but I really don't like the idea of sponsorships. It just takes away the unique-ness of a ride and replaces it with advertising 'stuff'.

Yes, I understand, but it is still not as good as a theme designed and built for Alton Towers by Alton Towers. However, I am sure most other people will appreciate a Sonic theme, so it will be a popular change for 2010 no matter what deal is done.

I fully agree with you. The themes of Sonic, SAW, Ribena Rumba Rapids (Thorpe), Beanoland (Cheesie) and so forth will never match up to those like Nemesis, Oblivion and so forth.However, if it is going to happen, which is looking more likely, then you do have to consider what would be better - sponsorship or collaboration? I'd say the a collaboration would be better..

I dont understand why the Spinball Wizzer is getting re done. IMO it fits nicley into the area its in and Sonic the hedgehog isnt that a little... Dated these days? I dont no. So there is no comfirmation of RITA getting redone? I think the budget should have gone there perosnally its gonna look very odd with the new Thirteen coaster behind a rushed job of a race course. Also like people have said another sponshership, will Merlin ever learn? Look at attractions such as the legendary Bubbleworks now it has a sponcer or The Flume @ Alton. Lets just hope its not another jobby of plastering every corner of the attraction with advertising and hope they do a proper job of it. (Thank god Sonic has no giant yellow ducks on a plus side thow?)