The Flume

D4n

Flume needs... Something desperately... It's extremely hard to theme the entire layout with only the tunnels and queue providing any form of chance for theming to occur...I'm not sure if it should be replaced or not... Certainly about one of the few big layout rides at Towers that would be relatively simple (in comparison to others) to remove and hence replace...But as to the original question, removal of branding is currently the most we can hope for, unless they decide to throw some money at it since they lost Shrek...

A retheme/rebrand will be wise. Unless they create an entirely new area themed aroud bathing which will be highly unique as there is no park in the world that has such a theme although it would be unique for all the wrong reasons :D . I'm tired with Pirate themes tbh and probably most ethuiasts are really, too many parks have a pirate land/attraction but that is the theme in Mutiny Bay so it is a certainty that any retheme will be geared towards Pirates :) . If the ride is removed, I hope they replace it with a more innovative flume ride and it would be great if they were to use the same layout (it will please the council as trees won't be destroyed) we'll pretty much end up with a very similar ride experience only much smoother and with a modern feel to it. I suppose they could re-track it but Alton probably can't be asked to spend money on doing that :D.

A retheme/rebrand will be wise. Unless they create an entirely new area themed aroud bathing which will be highly unique as there is no park in the world that has such a theme although it would be unique for all the wrong reasons

Try again, Tripsdrill has the original bathtime themed log flume attraction... Including animatronic half naked ladies...

And personally I'm not bored with pirate themes... Towers were clever with it as an addition as it didn't require too much work (with the pre-existing buildings already being piratey), pirates regaining popularity due to the films, and it actually looking pretty decent and revamping a rather dull area by giving it a much more obvious identity...Pirate themes are also very simple for guests to understand, as they are very general knowledge... That's why lots of parks have them... Nice, simple and can be very effective if done well...Replacing Flume does provide an interesting choice for Towers, removal could involve a good old arguement with the council, whilst revamping would be the cheapest idea, but not provide anything truly exciting and new... Plus they will need to consider throughputs as Peter said, it's one of the highest in the park...A conundrum...

• 2 weeks later...
Well, not Katanga Canyon since it is in the wrong location.Katanga Canyon is built around its own little African "hub" area, which sits in the middle of the rapids circuit, from which the entrances to the rides and outlets branch off from. if a third ride was brought in, its entrance would have to be stuck on to the access path leading to the bridge into the main Katanga Canyon area. This would not fit and could detract from the area on the whole rather than add to it.So, keep in in Mutiny Bay at all costs. I would like to see the back on the Flume actually, it is a rather old fashioned ride and not really exciting enough to have a long future ahead of it. Things like Dragon Falls are better because they are built into the surroundings a lot more, whilst having very good interaction with pathways at the same time. However, the Flume is a bit of a poor ride for a theme park that is usually considered to have higher standards.

I'll be so sad if they get rid of the Flume. I know it doesn't interact with the landscape much but it's such a lovely ride that's actually really relaxing in between the drops and nightmare ducks. Also, whatever they build to replace it (if they do of course!) will inevitably be compared with nostalgia for the flume and I don't know if it could really win. Especially if they build a thrill ride there, it'll just frustrate the families who visit the Towers and remember that they used to have a fun flume there.

• 1 year later...

*Dusts off topic*

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/news/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1334345973&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1,9&

Surprised this hasn't been brought up actually...Saw this article on TT, saying that The Flume has had some modified boats installed to allow for children above 1.0m on the ride. Of course, last season, all Mack flumes increased from a 0.9m restriction (1.1m to be unaccompanied by an adult) to 1.2m (1.3m unaccompanied).

I guess it's a good thing, and maybe a sign of things to come at other Merlin parks? :)

*Dusts off topic*

http://old.towerstim...from=&ucat=1,9

Surprised this hasn't been brought up actually...Saw this article on TT, saying that The Flume has had some modified boats installed to allow for children above 1.0m on the ride. Of course, last season, all Mack flumes increased from a 0.9m restriction (1.1m to be unaccompanied by an adult) to 1.2m (1.3m unaccompanied).

I guess it's a good thing, and maybe a sign of things to come at other Merlin parks? :)

Interesting, any pictures knocking around?

• 3 years later...

:blink: Might seem light hearted but that's a hugely damaging video for the park and staff involved. Would be very helpful if it was taken down. Extremely lucky videos like this don't appear more often (well stoppages like this don't occur often, so hopefully it won't become a trend)

How on earth did that happen?!

Not great that the staff just seemed to blank them for ages though.

I don't blame you for assuming those things because I imagine most people will (if not jump to much WORSE conclusions) but it would have been a controlled stoppage (just misfortunate that they were in the tunnel at the time) and staff would have known they were there but had to follow procedures forced on them that meant they couldn't get to them first.

Honestly this video throws up so much trouble that it's just not worth it.

Especially given that it happened before the Smiler which is the media latched onto this, they'd have a field day over, imagine the headlines, Towers staff ignore hysterical teenagers trapped on ride!

In the staff's defence though, I can imagine it would be very hard for them to hear and comprehend it, as I expect a lot of kids scream when going through that tunnel.

And there you have it, exactly the negative responses that this video is likely to cause.

I don't blame you for assuming those things because I imagine most people will (if not jump to much WORSE conclusions) but it would have been a controlled stoppage (just misfortunate that they were in the tunnel at the time) and staff would have known they were there but had to follow procedures forced on them that meant they couldn't get to them first.

Honestly this video throws up so much trouble for the ride and park.

It's still not great that they were just left in the tunnel like that, there should be a sound system in there so that they can inform people that they are aware of them in situations such as this.

In the staff's defence though, I can imagine it would be very hard for them to hear and comprehend it, as I expect a lot of kids scream when going through that tunnel.

Had they just remained silent the staff would have still got them out of there eventually, there's no possibility that the boat could have gone missing (all boats are logged when the ride opens). Again this is something the video makes look like the family had to scream and phone for help to be rescued.

The whole situation would have been accordingly resolved on the day. But now this footage is online there will be repercussions. It would just make life a lot easier for everyone if it gets removed. It's just a hugely embarrassing and regrettable situation that point to flaws in the ride.

• 3 months later...

I have just been informed that The Flume will be closed for the rest of the season.

That completely rules out Scarefest for me this year, I am not prepared to make the effort to travel to a park with three rides closed.

It's just poor, plenty of people go on The Flume at this time of year (I have queued ages for it at Scarefest before), they should be trying to get guests back not closing even more rides!

Rubbish!

Yeah see, the problem is people aren't going to Towers. Previous Scarefest's have been packed but there is no way that this will be the story this year. The only way the park can even get back to profitable ways is to close the biggest drains on rescources. Sub terra is one, the other is the flume and the rapids. 

Towers is one of the biggest crises's in its history and its only going to get worse before it gets better. If it takes three rides (two if we take out the Smiler as thats special circumstances) to stop you going, that says more about you then the average guest.

I have just been informed that The Flume will be closed for the rest of the season.

That completely rules out Scarefest for me this year, I am not prepared to make the effort to travel to a park with three rides closed.

It's just poor, plenty of people go on The Flume at this time of year (I have queued ages for it at Scarefest before), they should be trying to get guests back not closing even more rides!

Rubbish!

Needs must and all of that... how many rides were removed at Blackpool during the harder times?