Congo River Rapids

D4n

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

What I loved about Congo River Rapids was how long the ride actually felt!I was thinking "Are we still going!" But in a good way. I have been on river rapid rides in America but comparing to the one I would go on frequently (Rumba Rapids) it was great thinking I am still going!Plus, the effects on Congo River Rapids really impressed me. My favourite two were the waterfall and going through the tunnel as the Runaway Mine Train went by!Also, Last time I went it was a big family event (which was unusual tbh!) and my cousins in the boat actually over took us from behind before we went up the convayor! (I know it is possible as had done to me rarely on Rumba Rapids). However, I always get overtook on Congo! :P I know I should not laugh at this, but the boat crashed against the rock and my Auntie ended up wacking her front teeth on the bar in the center of the boat! :P I know we should not have laughed but even she found it funny that she ended up on the floor of the boat. (Somehow! , Crazy Auntie's for you!) :P God this is a long post!, Sorry!

• 7 years later...

Yeah hopefully the waterfalls will come back! It's probably because some people tend to move out their seat to avoid getting wet...which begs the question why they've even gone on a water ride in the first place :lol: Actually, that's just reminded me of a Facebook group/page a few years ago about people who go on water rides and are surprised when the seats are wet :P

On 12 May 2017 at 6:39 PM, Mermite said:

Yeah hopefully the waterfalls will come back! It's probably because some people tend to move out their seat to avoid getting wet...which begs the question why they've even gone on a water ride in the first place :lol: Actually, that's just reminded me of a Facebook group/page a few years ago about people who go on water rides and are surprised when the seats are wet :P

Makes me laugh on Tidal Wave when people moan about getting a wet bum when they are soon about to get wet all over! 

44 minutes ago, OlivusPrime said:

Considering Oblivion's station video remains abruptly cut, the waterfalls not returning isn't an impossibility.

I guess there is a chance the waterfalls won't return - as @Mermite said, people do tend to move when they are heading towards the water but it's such a huge feature of the ride that it would be a shame if they were to never make a return

3 hours ago, OlivusPrime said:

Considering Oblivion's station video remains abruptly cut, the waterfalls not returning isn't an impossibility.

I believe this is because the person who cut it (as a reactionary measure), and was going to put it back after things blew over, got made redundant before they could. Or the original file was lost. It's silly.

2 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

I believe this is because the person who cut it (as a reactionary measure) and was going to put it back after things blew over got made redundant. Or the original file was lost. It's silly.

If that's true, then "silly" is the understatement of the century...

Why do the waterfalls create a safety hazard? I presume because people often stand up/try to move seats to avoid getting wet? If that's the case, then removing the waterfalls won't solve the problem. People often stand up/move seats throughout the ride at any point, particularly when they see that their seat is heading towards a particularly large wave or current. If they want to stop people standing up, they need to add some sort of restraint to each seat on the boats. As long as there is a chance of getting wet, people will always stand up. I'm not saying that's the right thing to do; obviously it's a water ride so you can expect to get wet when boarding. Hopefully the increased signage will help. Correct me if I'm wrong - don't some rapids rides have seat belts? I seem to remember Popeye and Bluto's barges in Universal had seat belts when I went several years ago? It's not a huge thing to implement and if it's going to save lives then I'm all for it. Sadly no amount of signage or ride op announcements are going to stop people from standing up or trying to move seats during the ride. If we need to stop standing up, which we do, to avoid this kind of terrible thing happening again, then the only real option is to physically restrict people from standing up with seat belts. People might say it's all health and safety going mad, but if incidents like this are happening then something needs to be done. 

The thought of going on a water ride and getting wet... why do people bother if they're going to stand up to avoid getting wet. As draconian as it sounds, perhaps the park need to just make examples of people who do decide to foolishly stand up and just issue bans, the same way that there are consequences for doing stupid things on other rides, eventually people might get the message.

On 15/05/2017 at 0:19 PM, Vince800 said:

The thought of going on a water ride and getting wet... why do people bother if they're going to stand up to avoid getting wet. 

Most people who do stand up during the ride don't really think about it - it's a natural instinct to get away from a big wave of water, which I understand. Then there are some people who deliberately stand up for whatever reason. Either way, if they want to dramatically reduce the risk of people falling in then seat belts are the only way forward. Every other type of ride has restraints (nearly, anyway), so why not rapids?

19 hours ago, Han30 said:

I guess because in the very unlikely event that the boat flips then you would have little chance of survival if you are strapped in 

Yes but I don't get that argument for two reasons,

A) If a brand as big as disney and several other american brands are doing it and think its safe surely it would be

B ) If there were seat belts on the rapids at dream land arguably they would have survived? Since two of them died from drowning and the other two died from being crushed in the lift chains whereas if they were strapped in, they wouldn't have been ejected to be crushed by the chains (not claiming to a be technician, maybe someone can shed some light on whether or not the ride did have seat belts, didn't think it did)

Having seatbelts actually potentially CAUSED the drowning, since panic can easily set in and cause it all to go pear shaped very quickly... Imagine trying to open a seatbelt after seeing people flung out of your capsized boat!

I always assume that seatbelts come with the layout of the things... Ones with bigger drops in the states have seatbelts, though River Quest and others over here do not... It's probably a mixture of layouts and culture; given that Americans sued McDonalds because the coffee was hot (spilt it over themselves) they need to cover themselves a lot more than other countries do purely over idiocy, having seatbelts means that if anything were to happen to someone like this they can point to having safety standards in place...