The Curse at Alton Manor - NEW for 2023

treeis

It pretty much turns back into a Haunted House, and is much better for it. It's the only time of year it has a queue. :P In fact sometimes at Scarefest it's up to 60 minutes long (the queue not the ride :P)

60 mins?! Then again, I suppose it is like Hocus Pocus Hall: Bewitched!Does Duel: Live open from when the park is open or later in the day? :D

This was not the case last year, it stayed as Duel Live for the entire day.It was spectacular, I really enjoyed it. The Haunted House must have been such a brilliant experience and surprisingly a lot of it still exists. I loved the atmosphere with the music, effects and even the lighting. There were one or two great actors/actresses that made me jump, and many could be seen around the ride in great places. Lots of Haunted House effects were fixed, too, such as the flashing windows in the Sinister Garden and near the Pillar Demon, as well as touch ups.It is the only time of year when Duel gets properly loved. It shows how stupid the guns are, too.For anybody who wants to get the picture of what it was like last year, see my video
if you want (about 8 minutes long).

^ Indeed, if that doesn't show them how popular it "could" be, nothing will.But I agree, they had some great actor placements last year, for example a guy who popped out from behind a wall with a spade and smashed it on a metal bin, never been so scared in my life. :P

Metal bin? I am sure he/she just banged it on the wall (respect for old rides?!!? :P ). That was my favourite part. I wanted to go around again just for that moment. One time, our car stopped, as they do, right next to that green-faced woman with the spade... She came right up to us and whispered, "Oh dear...!" :P You could hear the bang echo throughout the whole ride, right from the Screaming Room to the exit platform!

Absolutely love duel, sounded great a couple of weeks ago when the tvs were on almost silent, and the haunted house music was blaring out. However when I went on last week, the tellies had been turned back up again... and the "are you scared of spiders" thing was incredibly loud! Least its being constantly fiddled with though

• 1 year later...

Absolutely love duel, sounded great a couple of weeks ago when the tvs were on almost silent, and the haunted house music was blaring out. However when I went on last week, the tellies had been turned back up again... and the "are you scared of spiders" thing was incredibly loud! Least its being constantly fiddled with though

I think that the tv screens should be taken away to allow the queue to become scary and atmospheric once again.

(Well, ideally I would like the lasers scrapped and back like Haunted house!)

You have never seen electric bill before? What the hell are you looking at during that time? Before this year, it was the ONLY thing lit up there!

LOL I have no idea! :o It's after the Spider Scene which also has those scary men, so I was probably too busy laughing/recovering from that :P

• 7 months later...

I was fortunate enough to be able to go to the towers a lot more this season and am fortunate enough to be able to do the same ongoing. However one thing I was really looking forward to during my visit to scarefest was experiencing duel: live as I have heard so much about it.

I know it was my fault for not keeping myself up-to-date with things to experience that disappointment I felt when I realised it was not appearing for Scarefest and am now just hoping that it will one day return :(

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Great to see Duel is finally getting TLC! :wub: Wanted this to happen ever since seeing Hex revamped. Duel is in dire need of repair as several of the original effects no longer work and were just left broken including the rotating tunnel. The UV strip lights were over powering and it will be great to hear a new soundtrack. 

On the upfront this is mostly good news as Duel has been in quite a state the last few years.

The promotional images look ok, but I worry for the result in person. What if the wrong kind of UV lighting has been used and the original effect is ruined. I do worry of riding only to find the UV emphasises the whole building (including out of house areas and the warehouse shell) much like TombBlaster does. 

We will have to wait wait and see I guess. Let’s just hope TLC have done this one properly and given the attraction the treatment it deserves. 

As for the soundtrack, I’m very mixed as I actually liked the current theme tune.

The ride really NEEDS appropriate music to be at its best, the Duel theme is good and I like it, but it doesnt suit the ride one bit. I question whether anybody actually knows it well from the ride or more likely from listening to it online.

Whether the music will be worthwhile though remains to be seen - they're going with their 'in house composer' so its risky (read: low budget!) but I think I've heard this guy's work is very good and he does most the scare mazes now.

The lighting however... you can't tell completely from a work in progress, but the UV LED is bound to end up looking like Tomb Blaster's terrible redo. It's not true blacklight, and most the UV artwork in those scenes have long since gone anyway??

21 minutes ago, Wumbamillio said:

The lighting however... you can't tell completely from a work in progress, but the UV LED is bound to end up looking like Tomb Blaster's terrible redo. It's not true blacklight, and most the UV artwork in those scenes have long since gone anyway??

Whoever's in charge of lighting seems to like the colour purple a little too much... :wacko:

Why not paint the whole bloody thing purple if it's apparently such a big deal?

• JoshC. changed the title to The Curse at Alton Manor - NEW for 2023