The Curse at Alton Manor - NEW for 2023

treeis

I'm looking forward to seeing Duel get some work.  I know quite a few people aren't fond of it following the years of cheap fixes and such (and some still hate the fact it's a shooter), but I do think it's a fun ride which is a bit understated in the line up these days.  If they can give it a decent tart up, and give it some more suitable (but equally fab) music, I'd be very happy!

I hope they do keep the same guns though - I generally find the new ones on Tomb Blaster are horrendous on any shooter.

Duel is very important to Tower's lineup. It eats through large queues and is quite often a walk-on attraction.

I've heard that the new soundtrack will be longer and made to better suit the atmosphere of the different areas. Also TLC have confirmed it will have zoned audio which is great.

There are still concerns about the use of visible purple UV over original blacklights that just highlight the pigments in the scenery and no word on the trommel tunnel as of yet.

TLC have hinted at a new story also saying they have found the elusive missing genetic surgeon. :ph34r:

14 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

TLC have hinted at a new story also saying they have found the elusive missing genetic surgeon. :ph34r:

I think that was probably just an off hand comment :) Duel doesnt need a squeezed in backstory, just needs to be good and fun and I hope that's the approach they're taking!

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny because I think the whole overgrown vines and such worked really well.  Say what you want about it being such a common trait amongst Merlin attractions these days, but there are cases where this does work, and really well at that too - Duel was one of them.

It's good to see they've only half trimmed them back, giving a good mix of that natural, overrun feel, whilst still showing off the fab themed façade.

They're changing the music?! Wow, I didn't see that coming... I actually liked the soundtrack and thought it fit in really well with the ride experience. I'll be sad to see it go as I love this classic dark ride.

Please Merlin, please make your little old Duel good!! If it's anything to match the Gruffalow's success (the soundtrack which reminds me of Amelie!), I will be pleasantly satisfied.

Well, at least it will be slightly better than Tomb Blaster at worst.

I want to be excited seeing that an ageing dark ride is getting a noticeable refurbishment, but I just remember Tomb Blaster.

If this has been done correctly it will make for a refreshing and welcoming decision, otherwise it’ll probably be the beginning of the end.

There's been plenty more pictures, including this lovely chap...

29243619_425923351167686_334338775508110

TLC have confirmed that the update is not finished.  Instead of closing the ride for the first couple of weeks of the season, they will be working on it out of opening hours to fine tune things, and also reacting to guest feedback as appropriate / possible to get things the best they can.

I’m quite disappointed to learn that they’ve added $8 AtmosFX stock moving portraits to the queue line. Something you’d expect to see at a funfair or a small Halloween event not so much Alton Towers. I fear this might turn into another Tomb, really hope not though.

https://atmosfx.com/collections/decorations/products/unliving-portraits

6 minutes ago, Stuntman707 said:

I’m quite disappointed to learn that they’ve added $8 AtmosFX stock moving portraits to the queue line. Something you’d expect to see at a funfair or a small Halloween event not so much Alton Towers. I fear this might turn into another Tomb, really hope not though.

https://atmosfx.com/collections/decorations/products/unliving-portraits

A POV of Dual has been uploaded by TowersStreet member JSG093

• JoshC. changed the title to The Curse at Alton Manor - NEW for 2023