The Curse at Alton Manor - NEW for 2023

treeis

21 minutes ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

@Trooper Looper some of the classic Dark Rides still remain. The original Boat Ride from The London Dungeon at Tooly Street was dismantled piece by piece and reassembled at the new location. The building may be different, but the main ride system and elements of Theming are identical. I will admit most of the boat rides Theming was replaced during the relocation. As for Alton Towers's Haunted House depending on what the refurbishment brings this is also still entertaining guests. As John Wardley is once again involved, I am 99.9% convinced the ride will be stripped of the Duel infestation and restored to its original guise. The Haunted House has a place in John Wardley's heart. He was saddened when the ride was rethemed to Duel without his consent or involvement. It's been hinted The Haunted House will return with a 21st century twist or with a story based around Emily Alton. I apologize for adding another idea, but I wouldn't rule out a retheme to Molly Leigh the witch of Burslam. Molly Leigh is a unique theme to Alton Towers and is a local historic story. Furthermore, Molly Leigh is a scary and gripping subject. In my opinion she deserves a proper ride rather than a room at the end of the Alton Towers Dungeons.

A scare maze for Molly Leigh would be great.

With Emily alton though, I think she'll be more of a chatacter mascot for promotion rathan a story being about her. For the last 30 years, she's been just a minor Ghost pepper effect in the queue. I doubt a story about her would make much sense to the General Public outside of Enthusiasts. Another reason why I'm a bit reluctant on it is because the scenes in the original Haunted House were very different to one another, as if they were their own story, instead of something like "next scene, exposition by Emily, next scene, exposition by Emily, etc."

Another reason is because the HH was designed to be a laff in the dark and high quality pier Ghost Train. The ride wasn't designed to have a heavy narrative.

Does anyone know the currant whereabouts of the carriages you travel in? I saw a photo of them on the back of a flatbed truck. I wasn't sure if they were being moved to the maintenance shed at Alton Towers or the Mack factory in Germany. I hope the carriages return but without the guns added during the 2003 Duel refurbishment. I would not mind the Theming changing to rooms of Emily Alton and Snowy's Dolls House instead of scenes of generic scary characters. a Haunted Dolls House would create a uneque,creepy and immersive Dark Ride. Emily and Snowy have been underused by Alton Towers. I cannot believe more focus was made on Molly Crowe some boring character. Molly is the lead character of a horror film rather than a personalized fictional character. Refreshing Duel into Emily's Dolls House would be a startling success. Rides based around homemade characters are more popular than those based on natation wide characters. For exhample Professor Burp's Bubbleworks was far more popular than The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure. Furthermore, Professor Burp's won an award for being Europe's best Dark Ride. Therse no chance of The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure winning such an award.

I may book a trip to Alton Towers next year. I am extremely excited about the Duel refurbishment and reopening of Nemesis Sub Terra. Next year will the year of the Dark Ride. With the refurbishment of Duel, reopening of Nemesis Sub Terra and reopening of the refreshed Valhalla at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Next year will also be the year of returning rides. Duel, Nemesis Sub Terra and Valhalla are all returning from beyond the grave.

47 minutes ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Does anyone know the currant whereabouts of the carriages you travel in? I saw a photo of them on the back of a flatbed truck. I wasn't sure if they were being moved to the maintenance shed at Alton Towers or the Mack factory in Germany. I hope the carriages return but without the guns added during the 2003 Duel refurbishment. I would not mind the Theming changing to rooms of Emily Alton and Snowy's Dolls House instead of scenes of generic scary characters. a Haunted Dolls House would create a uneque,creepy and immersive Dark Ride. Emily and Snowy have been underused by Alton Towers. I cannot believe more focus was made on Molly Crowe some boring character. Molly is the lead character of a horror film rather than a personalized fictional character. Refreshing Duel into Emily's Dolls House would be a startling success. Rides based around homemade characters are more popular than those based on natation wide characters. For exhample Professor Burp's Bubbleworks was far more popular than The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure. Furthermore, Professor Burp's won an award for being Europe's best Dark Ride. Therse no chance of The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure winning such an award.

I may book a trip to Alton Towers next year. I am extremely excited about the Duel refurbishment and reopening of Nemesis Sub Terra. Next year will the year of the Dark Ride. With the refurbishment of Duel, reopening of Nemesis Sub Terra and reopening of the refreshed Valhalla at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Next year will also be the year of returning rides. Duel, Nemesis Sub Terra and Valhalla are all returning from beyond the grave.

They were heading into the Storage shed the guy eho posted it said! 

I doubt they'd retheme them, why bother if they're already spooky themed and the ride is still going to be a Ghost Train Next year?

11 minutes ago, Trooper Looper said:

They were heading into the Storage shed the guy eho posted it said! 

I doubt they'd retheme them, why bother if they're already spooky themed and the ride sill still be a Ghost Train Next year?

@Trooper Looper it's comforting to know that at least part of The Haunted House/Duel will live on through the carriages. I would say Duel had/has the best ride system out of any ride in the world. I apologize if I appear OTT but it's true. Its only 4 months until Duel will welcome riders again. Alton Towers is only open for another 6 days. Hopefully this means more information on the future of Duel will be released. I am expecting an announcement on the 6th of November. John Wardley will be at Alton Towers for the final day of Nemesis. I except hell make an announcement on Duel. The Haunted House is John Wardley's most prized creation. John's guaranteed to be more excited than us. No doubt keeping the details of the refurbishment is hard for him. Normally I would be worried about a premier Dark Ride being redone. Because John is involved my worry has dissipated. John was never happy about the Duel retheme. I know that The Haunted House will return. It probably won't be a clone of the original. I am sure it'll be 98% the same. Think of the original Piraten In Batavia at Europa Park vs the currant ride. This will give you an idea of how the ride will differ. Note that Piraten In Batavia was totally burnt. This factor makes it likely that The Haunted House will be even more like the original. Finally, many Pirten In Batavia animatronics were salvaged from the inferno. This makes the future of most of the Duel theming secure. Duels sets haven't been burnt or are as old.  

• 2 weeks later...

@coasterverse it sounds like I have the same wishes for Duel as the manager of Alton Towers. If I were the manager I would be transforming Duel into the Dolls House of Emily Alton and Snowy. It sounds like the Duel refurbishment is extremely exiting. I would say it’s positive that Duel has closed. At least Duel is not being invaded by an IP like Professor Burp’s Bubbleworks. Merlin seem to have turned a corner. I’m glad that Merlin are not relying on IPS. The World Of Jumanji will be Chessington’s first investment involving an IP in 4 years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 9:32 AM, MattyMoo said:

My source tells me the new Haunted House is a clone of Terminus? 🤯

Well, with the recent photos of the original set pieces being g ripped out, you're more truthful than you think you are sadly...

So, the Garden, The Hall of Spiders, and The Trommel is being stripped out as far as we know.

I'm taking a guess that they'll all be replaced by lights, screens, stationed props, and projections with no proper theeming...

2 hours ago, Trooper Looper said:

Well, with the recent photos of the original set pieces being g ripped out, you're more truthful than you think you are sadly...

So, the Garden, The Hall of Spiders, and The Trommel is being stripped out as far as we know.

I'm taking a guess that they'll all be replaced by lights, screens, stationed props, and projections with no proper theeming...

Nice to see you've found a second forum to be really irritating on. It was never going to be a redo of The Haunted House, it never should've been a redo. Theme Parks by their nature change over time, there is no point to being so rigidly stuck in the past. The original ride was great, it can continue to be great in peoples memories, but a scene for scene redo of a 30 year old ride is not a good idea.

My belief is that they should completely gut it anyway for a fresh start. Most of the sets in there are probably rotten anyway.

The Jumanji ride at Garda gives some hope as it doesn't look terrible. Screens and projections can work well in tandem with real elements if used correctly. Can we rely on MMM to do that remains to be seen (especially given the finale of Jumanji).

Though why they'll add lighting is seen as a negative I'll never know. Kind of essential even in a dark ride.

6 hours ago, Benin said:

My belief is that they should completely gut it anyway for a fresh start. Most of the sets in there are probably rotten anyway.

The Jumanji ride at Garda gives some hope as it doesn't look terrible. Screens and projections can work well in tandem with real elements if used correctly. Can we rely on MMM to do that remains to be seen (especially given the finale of Jumanji).

Though why they'll add lighting is seen as a negative I'll never know. Kind of essential even in a dark ride.

Ah, should've worded my paragraph better sorry. I just think the lighting will be very generic, as we've seen on the Gruffalo Fiver Ride. But again, hope I'm proven wrong, MMM did a great job with Tomb Blasters 2020 refurbishment, it's wonderfully lit now, its eerie, and you can barely see he walls and ceilings anymore!

I doubt the ride seys are rotten, as its been kept inside for over 30 years, so they're probably in decent state material wise. I would've thought that if they are completely gutting it, they would've auctioned a few props by now. IDK, maybe they're waiting until everything is out of the rides building before doing so.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m delighted to be able to say that all of the original Haunted House theming that predates Duel will survive the refurbishment. This confirmsfu that the original set pieces seen in the queline for The Invitation will/have been reinstated . My source that is the most credible around inferred that all the hideous Duel theming is going to be removed. My source is very optimistic about the future of this Alton Towers classic. Unfortunately due to confidentiality I cannot disclose who or what my source is. I don’t know if Emily Alton will have a bigger role. However I was reassured”everything I like  and remember about the original haunted house will remain, together with a huge amount more. I deem the “together with a huge amount more” sentence to be important. Personally I think this means Emily has repossessed Duel,evicted the Zombies and will appear a few times.

@Trooper Looper I know you like myself are fond of this Alton Towers classic. I hope my hint at the future of The Haunted House fills you with optimism. @Matt N I know your also intrigued about the future of The Haunted House/Duel.

As @Benin pointed out I have already revealed my source to be John Wardley. Now it’s out in the open I’m highly optimistic about the Duel refurbishment. I must admit I think the Duel refurbishment will be the best in the history of any of the Merlin Parks. John seems like a lovely gentleman,extremely passionate about his work. I am overjoyed that the Zombies have lost the Duel and have been sent to the crypts. Am I the only person who cannot wait for Emily Alton and Snowy to have bigger roles in The Haunted House/Duel?

Let's just hope Emily is only present in the queue line instead of the actual ride section, replacing the unique ideas and inhabitants of the house. I wouldn't mind if she was just mascot, but not something like Ratatouille at DisneyLand Paris where the main character is in most scenes.

Also, sorry @Theme Park Fanatic but there's been photos of the Trommel face being ripped out on Towers Street twitter. Let's just hope they're only removed for technical reasons, maybe to get access to certain areas of the Trommel.

Both photos below are credited to TowersStreet. The first photo of the jaw, and the second is of both of the eyeballs that'd roll in red.

20221217_001047.jpg

20221217_001054.jpg

30 minutes ago, Trooper Looper said:

Let's just hope Emily is only present in the queue line instead of the actual ride section, replacing the unique ideas and inhabitants of the house. I wouldn't mind if she was just mascot, but not something like Ratatouille at DisneyLand Paris where the main character is in most scenes.

Also, sorry @Theme Park Fanatic but there's been photos of the Trommel face being ripped out on Towers Street twitter. Let's just hope they're only removed for technical reasons, maybe to get access to certain areas of the Trommel.

Both photos below are created to TowersStreet. The first photo of the jaw, and the second is of both of the eyeballs that'd roll in red.

20221217_001047.jpg

20221217_001054.jpg

@Trooper Looper just because these parts of the Trommel are outside it doesn’t mean they’re being removed. I think these Theming pieces have been temporarily removed to allow the Trommel to be repaired. I wouldn’t be surprised if these pieces of theming in addition to the bits featured in The Invasion are returned inside by the new year. John said everything I like about the Original Haunted House will remain. John also said together with a huge amount more. I think the huge amount more will be scenes dedicated to Emily Alton and Snowy. I think the scene that replaces the Mad Professors Lab will be designated to Emily Alton. 

Next year will be an exiting season for English Theme Parks. Not only is Duel being refurbished and Nemesis Sub Terra reopened but Chessington are opening the long awaited World Of Jumanji. This is just what’s happening within the Merlin Parks. Non Merlin Parks are also having exciting changes. Blackpool Pleasure Beach is gaining a Big Wheel in addition to the opening of the refurbished Valhalla. Meanwhile Funland Hayling Island are refurbishing and retheming their Log Flume.

@Trooper Looper what do you think Duel’s new name will be? I think the ride will be renamed Emily Alton strikes back.

8 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

@Trooper Looper just because these parts of the Trommel are outside it doesn’t mean they’re being removed. I think these Theming pieces have been temporarily removed to allow the Trommel to be repaired. I wouldn’t be surprised if these pieces of theming in addition to the bits featured in The Invasion are returned inside by the new year. John said everything I like about the Original Haunted House will remain. John also said together with a huge amount more. I think the huge amount more will be scenes dedicated to Emily Alton and Snowy. I think the scene that replaces the Mad Professors Lab will be designated to Emily Alton. 

Next year will be an exiting season for English Theme Parks. Not only is Duel being refurbished and Nemesis Sub Terra reopened but Chessington are opening the long awaited World Of Jumanji. This is just what’s happening within the Merlin Parks. Non Merlin Parks are also having exciting changes. Blackpool Pleasure Beach is gaining a Big Wheel in addition to the opening of the refurbished Valhalla. Meanwhile Funland Hayling Island are refurbishing and retheming their Log Flume.

@Trooper Looper what do you think Duel’s new name will be? I think the ride will be renamed Emily Alton strikes back.

Are you sure. You might've had the wrong email. Here's his official one:

http://www.john-wardley.co.uk/contact.html

By God if he did reply to you, please take a screenshot and share it. I'd love to see the email.

But to answer your questions, I'd love to see it's name return to 'The Hainted House'. I wouldn't mind if they added something to the name, but hope they keep It's original name with it.

Quite sad that there probably won't be a swamp scene in the new ride. That looked wicked with the big dragon coming out of the gargoyles mouth.

:(

Really hope he keeps projections, screens, and a lot of digital stuff outside of the attraction and sticks with proper illusions and Animatronics.

still bot a huge fan of Emily being heavily involved with the ride. Hope she only gets one scene and doesn't pop on every scene to deliver some exposition.

Blimey its actually him!!! I'm more so surprises he replied to you!! This is brilliant news!!! I guess he must be relieved that it isn't a an Email about Nemesis XD! The Hainted House is probably his most passionate rife he's made outside of Nemesis that's still standing, so I'm sure he's more than thrilled to see epeiple still adore the Attraction, even if not many nowadays knew it ised to be a unique Haunted House ride. May I copy the screenshot to the TowersStreet Duel refurbishment forum if that's okay? I'll give you credit.

18 minutes ago, Trooper Looper said:

Blimey its actually him!!! I'm more so surprises he replied to you!! This is brilliant news!!! I guess he must be relieved that it isn't a an Email about Nemesis XD! The Hainted House is probably his most passionate rife he's made outside of Nemesis that's still standing, so I'm sure he's more than thrilled to see epeiple still adore the Attraction, even if not many nowadays knew it ised to be a unique Haunted House ride. May I copy the screenshot to the TowersStreet Duel refurbishment forum if that's okay? I'll give you credit.

@Trooper Looper please do share this information to Towerstreet. Thanks for asking for my permission. Feel free to do as you please with this information. I wonder if the theming from The Invitation has been returned to the Garden scene?

• JoshC. changed the title to The Curse at Alton Manor - NEW for 2023