Slammer

Artie

• 2 weeks later...

I had a go on Slammer for the first time in ages today. There was only one person operating the whole ride which made throughput a complete nightmare. There was a big leaf sticking out on the way up so I just pulled it off and let go of it as we flew over one of the forward cycles. Watching it glide all the way over to Colossus was probably the highlight of my ride...

This rides a pile of sh*t

I don't want to be a grammar nazi or ought, but it amuses me that this conjures up an image of actually riding on a pile of sh!t, as that is what it says.

There are plenty of steamier turds at Thorpe than Slammer. I love having something so unique there and am glad they've put the effort in to get it going again.

Tpkabz, remind me how many sky swats there are in the world? Remind me how many of them are still going?

Of course it's going to be rubbish, but the fact that after so long Thorpe is still managing to fix it.

After reading some of your post, christ I would love to see if you could do a better job.

I support the whole "better things Thorpe could spend money on" approach here, mainly because of how much of a drain Slammer must be to the maintenance budget...

Why will it be a drain? Can't go to S&S and I doubt the ride has any form of warranty anymore because S&S themselves have gone "nah, it's dire" and given up on the entire concept... That leaves Thorpe with needing to go and create replacement parts through custom methods, possibly either through getting one company to manufacture the parts for them, or getting multiple companies involved...

Either way, it's a costly and long (as proven by this year) process, and might well outweigh the positives of having the ride still running in the future if it continues to constantly be a thorn in the side of the park with prolonged breakdowns that have plagued the ride since 2005...

As much as the uniqueness helps the ride, I wouldn't be surprised if one day Thorpe just give up on it if it continues acting up like this... I know I would look elsewhere eventually...

I support the whole "better things Thorpe could spend money on" approach here, mainly because of how much of a drain Slammer must be to the maintenance budget...

Playing devils advocate here, if Thorpe gave up on Slammer, I'd guarantee that maintenance budget would just go back to upper managements pocket and not back into other rides at the park. The fact that the park is desperately trying to keep it running shows that Thorpe do seem to give a damn about their rides.

Oh it's clear they do, and I like Slammer as a ride, but should it continue as it has been over the next year, I just don't think it'd be worth the constant expensive investment Thorpe are doing...

You have to draw the line somewhere... God knows where the money saved would end up though, none of us can truly know that...

I had a go on Slammer for the first time in ages today. Only one person operating the whole ride which made throughput a complete nightmare. There was a big leaf sticking out on the way up so I just pulled it off and let go of it as we flew over one of the forward cycles. Watching it glide all the way over to Colossus was probably the highlight of my ride...

Thats not even possible? They have atleast 2 in the 2 consoles and somone to check bars.

Thats not even possible? They have atleast 2 in the 2 consoles and somone to check bars.

I meant that there was only one person who was doing restraint checks and operating the ride as far as I could see. I was on the side closest to The Passing and I didn't really check the other side because quite frankly, I really didn't care. But the fact that there was only one member of staff made the process extremely slow.

I meant that there was only one person who was doing restraint checks and operating the ride as far as I could see. I was on the side closest to The Passing and I didn't really check the other side because quite frankly, I really didn't care. But the fact that there was only one member of staff made the process extremely slow.

This can't be right. The ride requires 3 people to run, 1 operator based in the console at all times, one remote attendant (X:NWO side) to check bars and send the ride from the console and an exit attendant to check the bars on the main side, check the exit gates are locked and then press the dispatch on the exit side.

The ride can't be sent without all 3 dispatch buttons being pressed at the same time.