Slammer

Artie

Well there was one small, Asian, female member of staff who was checking restraints and walking back into the booth to push buttons. Like a said in a previous post, I couldn't care less about how many staff there are at an S&S Sky Swat in Staines so I didn't bother to check how many members of staff there were at the time yesterday. I also didn't bother to look at the other side of Slammer because as I just said, it wasn't of any interest to me. As I said in my first post earlier this afternoon, Slammer had a dire throughput and I put that down to the fact that there was this one member of staff (who I mentioned earlier in this post) who was checking restraints and operating in the booth on my side of the ride. I can't speak for the other side because, for the second time, I didn't check. I've also never taken it upon myself to learn how Slammer operates, so as far as I was aware there may well have been only one member of staff working on the ride.

I just put the fact that throughput was **** and the fact that I could only see one member of staff operating the ride together to reach the conclusion that only one meber of staff was operating the whole ride. The restraints were also failing to lock every other ride which added the queue that should have been no longer than 10 minutes.

Well there was one small, Asian, female member of staff who was checking restraints and walking back into the booth to push buttons.

That sounds about right. Slammer is now only allowed one attendant (so 3 staff in total - main operator, remote operator and attendant), The attendant checks bars on main operator's side, remote operator checks bars on the remote side, aka the side you were sat on/side nearest XNWO. Just felt like being useful and clearing that up! :)

Also yay for Slammer being back open!

Lets face it though, it is really a massive pile of ****....

"Thorpe thank you for trying to get your ride working, regardless of how poor the quality of it is"

"Thorpe, well done for being commited to your attraction"

"Thorpe your ride is crap"

How about the positivity Kabz instead of the negative attitude all the time, it's really getting tyring.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I seriously doubt they will put all that effort to get the ride up and running for the last two weeks of the season, to then remove it over the closed season. I strongly believe Slammer is here for at least another season or when something breaks again.

I agree, it would be so pointless.

During Slammer's downtime last year, I read this and many other forums for months about this "craze" of it being removed, and bascially, people need to get over the fact that it's here to stay. I couldn't stop laughing in total disagreement. There see seems to be such an online obsession about getting rid of it. Yeah, it's unreliable. Yeah, many people hate it. But it's going to be at Thorpe Park until it's beyond repair, so at least another 15-20 years. People seem to forget how much it would cost to actually take a ride out. And what would be done with it? I doubt S&S would take it back, especially as it was sold as part of a deal with Rush.

This goes for many rides that have been installed since about 2000 - expect them to last for many years to come, as they will so long as they're repairable.

Most parts are usually obtained directly from the ride manufacturer, however, esculating costs (especially in this recession) mean that the parks are likely to turn to factors who supply universal parts that will fit and do the job for a lot less.

If anyone thinks Slammer is knackered and had it's day, then think about this...if anything it's still a youngster and getting going, it's got plenty of life left in it and will continue to slam Thorpe's skies for many years to come.

Disagree with that ^

Whilst slammer is still young, it continues to have long periods of down time (as in months at a time) and needing major parts replacing (like one of the massive booms a couple of years ago). Along with the fact S&S no longer provide this rides will make things more difficult.

As much as I like Slammer, I cant see thorpe putting up with it for much longer if it was to have another 4/5 month spout of down time.

You disagree with...?

As said, the parks are likely to turn to factors for parts, even if the manufacturer can still supply it. Think cost, cost, cost. If you strip apart a lot of rides, the compenents are generally universal.

One big example is linear induction motors. If one of Colossus' was ever to go pop, for example, I expect the park wouldn't turn to intamin. You see LIM's on rides all over parks generally. Universal I expect, not manufacturer's own specific.

Of course, if a park were not to turn to the original manufacturers in a situation where they would need a part, they could void warranty (Slammer is not an issue as S&S realised how much of a headache design it is)...

And of course, just because these external replacement parts are cheaper, doesn't mean it doesn't result in a bodge job... And cause massive amount of difference to how the ride runs (See Slammer's handbook covered in post-its and appendices)...

Personally, I would not condone a park to just "go for cheap" unless it was the only viable option to getting a ride up and running, but as we can see with Slammer, this in turn can cause just as many problems... Because these universal components may not be designed to cope with the excessive work done by theme park rides (the state of Samurai is a good example here, as it was never meant to be a permenant attraction in the original design process, as such, after years of operating a high levels at Chessie, it was effectively buggered for the rest of its working life)...

During Slammer's downtime last year, I read this and many other forums for months about this "craze" of it being removed, and bascially, people need to get over the fact that it's here to stay. I couldn't stop laughing in total disagreement. There see seems to be such an online obsession about getting rid of it

This goes for many rides that have been installed since about 2000 - expect them to last for many years to come, as they will so long as they're repairable.

If anyone thinks Slammer is knackered and had it's day, then think about this...if anything it's still a youngster and getting going, it's got plenty of life left in it and will continue to slam Thorpe's skies for many years to come.

Some people don't like the ride, whether it is working or not, which can be said of any ride anywhere. I don't think there is/was a craze of people saying they want it to be removed or even that it should be removed, just that it is feasible that it could be.

And it remains feasible that it will go some time relatively soon. Age does not come into it in the slightest, only money does. All the time it is economically viable they will fix it they will, when that is no longer the case they won't. It is that simple. With factors such as S+S parts no longer being available and major/structural parts failing no one can tell when that will be, it could be opening day this season.

I think they might have had a bit of gamblers run with the spending already, chasing their previous investments - 'we've spent £x before, so we may as well spend the extra £x now to make the previous spend worthwhile', and so on. At some point they will draw a line under it and decide the next big bill isn't worth while, when that will be no one can no, because no one knows when it will next fail.

I still disagree here, especially when I have chatted to Thorpe's technicians about its current state of play and future. So I'm sorry to deliver the bad news to anyone who expects it to go any time soon.

Key word bolded, as things could so easily change and Slammer is put out of it's relative misery...

I would think another batch of long downtime would cause park officials to consider it being value for money...

So I'm sorry to deliver the bad news to anyone who expects it to go any time soon.

Again, it is not universally loved but people aren't generally saying they want it to close, why do you think it would be bad news? And it is not news at all, they've put the effort in to keep it going, which is great, but it could die forever tomorrow. As could any ride, anywhere.