Slammer

Artie

As pluk said, ANY ride could die at ANY moment, they are machines, and as such something could fling itself from the ride that's integral to it working...

Of course, how permanent the death is dependant on what component came off, and whether it's viable to fix it... I would guess Slammer is at the more likely to be ignored if it dies again at the end of the scale, whilst Swarm is at the "being molested modified because it wasn't good enough" end...

A ride dying, when is The Swarm going to drop dead? Not tomorrow I hope.

Highly unlikely, but possible. In that case would be most likely a natural disaster or massive land movement, but there is certainly an amount of damage that would make it not viable to repair.

Whoever believes a ride is going die at any moment then they clearly don't understand the maintenance side of it. Rides don't just drop dead, it's like cars, service and maintain them right and they'll keep going.

and whoever thinks that does not understand much. Sorry to be rude, but if everything was foreseeable and maintainable then nothing would ever go wrong ever, but it does.

Whoever believes a ride is going die at any moment then they clearly don't understand the maintenance side of it. Rides don't just drop dead, it's like cars, service and maintain them right and they'll keep going. Just like Slammer has been looked after.

'Looked after' is a bit of a loose term when it comes to Slammer, more like dragged along the line of death...

And you don't seem to understand maintenance, as in some cases, sheer accidents CAN happen in any form of engineering situation, regardless of maintenance systems in place... I doubt Thorpe expected Swarm to throw bolts onto the queueline, and whilst that is a minor example, Rush threw a massive steel ring on the floor too, so yeah, it CAN happen...

I don't know when I expect it to go, but the sooner Slammer has another hissy fit and Thorpe decide to shut it down completely, the better.

I know many have different opinions to me on this, but Slammer is just slow, boring and uninteresting. The low throughput and (presumably) high maintainence costs just don't seem worth it...

Whoever believes a ride is going die at any moment then they clearly don't understand the maintenance side of it. Rides don't just drop dead, it's like cars, service and maintain them right and they'll keep going. Just like Slammer has been looked after.

To be honest, yes they can, a cable could snap on Stealth, a wheel could become faulty on a ride, these are complex machines and the possibility of them going wrong, no matter how small the fault, it could even be a faulty sensor which brings the ride down.

I'm going to refer you to mobile phones, you can get a new one and it breaks, you can have one for 5 years and it breaks. Time does not come into it. As you said it's essentially how you treat it. Now to get a lil complicated, you could treat a mobile phone like a baby but it can still malfunction. Rides are obviously not the same but you get a rough idea.

No-ones denying that Thorpe look after Slammer. It's the ride itself that is effectively destroying itself thats the problem. Hence why the ride closes every four hours for maintenance checks and why the ride spends at least a month a season closed. Remember when people were amazed that Slammer was open on opening day last year. It's never been able to do that for 7 years..

And you don't seem to understand maintenance, as in some cases, sheer accidents CAN happen in any form of engineering situation, regardless of maintenance systems in place... I doubt Thorpe expected Swarm to throw bolts onto the queueline, and whilst that is a minor example, Rush threw a massive steel ring on the floor too, so yeah, it CAN happen...

I do understand maintenance, and when did I say about accidents not happening?

And in reply to everyone who disagrees with what I say; this topic will probably be placed in the archives in the future, and we may one day look back at it when Slammer is still there and working OK. Who wants to place a bet? I could be quids in!

The MTDP from around 2004 didn't outline the removal of Fungle Safari, so other MTDP's won't outline the removal of any other ride.

Ride maintenance and breakdowns are part of a ride's life. Black Bucaneer, Rameses, Ripsaw to name but a few. All had problems, all old, all still going today. Slammer is at the beginning of its life still. She's still warming up.

I feel this debate has gone far enough, this is the last I shall be saying on it before it turns heated. I suggest people follow my example.

I think it'd be a safe bet that Slammer has had more downtime in it's own life than the rest of those 3... Potentially combined (although more of a push)...

Dunno why we should follow your example when you are effectively saying we are wrong in thinking Slammer is the most likely thrill ride to be on the chopping block for removal in the near future, because looking at it, and its problems, and how it's more often shut than open, the rest of us could be quids in if we placed a bet that it would not last 15-20 years...

If this is how unreliable it is when it's just warming up, I dread to think how it will be in the future...

I do understand maintenance, and when did I say about accidents not happening?

And in reply to everyone who disagrees with what I say; this topic will probably be placed in the archives in the future, and we may one day look back at it when Slammer is still there and working OK. Who wants to place a bet? I could be quids in!

Because what you are saying is the ride could not have a fatal (to the ride) accident or failure at any time and as a result be closed forever, when it most certainly could. As could anything else.

I think you are misunderstanding what I / most are saying, which is not that it will be removed, but that it could be, and every time it fails that likelihood increases a little. I wouldn't be shocked if it is still slamming 10 years from now, I would be pleased if it was, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it never opened again!

I'm not saying anyone's wrong. It's just a matter of opinion. And we all have different ones on this.

As I say, I'm not debating this anymore.

That defeats the idea of discussion then, yes it's opinions but you can't seem to accept others.

You say you talk to engineers etc well who's to say we don't? Hell there's people on here that have degrees in Mechanical Engineering.

A ride, discontinued by it's manufacturer, possibly flawed by design. Constantly having downtime, constantly being extremely expensive to replace (rumours are merlin forced the decision to repair at any cost).

That, mixed with the fact the ride has low popularity, has low throughputs and high staffing costs makes me think it'll go sooner rather than later. The second they have the right ride, for that location, it'll be gone. If not sooner due to the ride trying to kill itself every ride cycle it performs.

Eventually the park will give up on it. It's not really even worth spending the time, money and effort on.

The park will likely be keeping it until enough is enough, after numerous weeks/months of downtime I wouldn't think the park will want to damage their integrity by opening rides that could potentially (Noted, previous encounters of have been seen to before opening) cause H&S violations.

If & when another crack appears I strongly believe the park will say this is the end. It's one thing that it happened once in the first place but numerous times in consecutive years is actually somewhat traumatising.

Because what you are saying is the ride could not have a fatal (to the ride) accident or failure at any time and as a result be closed forever, when it most certainly could. As could anything else.

I think you are misunderstanding what I / most are saying, which is not that it will be removed, but that it could be, and every time it fails that likelihood increases a little. I wouldn't be shocked if it is still slamming 10 years from now, I would be pleased if it was, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it never opened again!

I understand you loud and clear. It is now clear to me that people on this forum want Slammer to stop working altogether and to close forever. There seems to be a hatred of this ride and for people to get rid of it as soon as possible. It's not going anywhere for the time being, it will still continue to operate, let's get over it. It's a minority of a ride that isn't around much any more, let's enjoy it and stop slagging it off.

That defeats the idea of discussion then, yes it's opinions but you can't seem to accept others.

You say you talk to engineers etc well who's to say we don't? Hell there's people on here that have degrees in Mechanical Engineering.

Bring them into this conversation and tell us what they know!!

I understand you loud and clear. It is now clear to me that people on this forum want Slammer to stop working altogether and to close forever. There seems to be a hatred of this ride and for people to get rid of it as soon as possible. It's not going anywhere for the time being, it will still continue to operate, let's get over it. It's a minority of a ride that isn't around much any more, let's enjoy it and stop slagging it off.

I wouldn't be shocked if it is still slamming 10 years from now, I would be pleased if it was

Such a slag.

Bring them into this conversation and tell us what they know!!

Merlin confidentiality agreement. You work that one out.

There is no hatred for the ride at all, Hell I love the ride, We're just laughing at your posts because you get things wrong. Take the last page when you talked about Colossus and it's LIM, I hate to break this to you but Colossus doesn't have LIM's. Now if you don't mind I'm going to stop feeding the troll.

EDIT: This is a ride with LIM's

There are indeed some people who want to see the ride go, because they dislike the ride experience, which is fair enough, I wouldn't mind seeing half of Thorpe burn for that reason alone...

What a lot of people agree on though, is that IF the ride continues to be the money pit headache inducing breakdown burden it has been for 7 years (as Mark9 said, it's opened on opening day ONCE in it's operation, that's not good is it?) then it would make logical sense to the park to stop wasting their money and remove it for something more reliable...

I'm a fan of the ride experience myself, but I wouldn't exactly blame Thorpe if they gave up on it, I would've done by now...

Merlin confidentiality agreement. You work that one out.

There is no hatred for the ride at all, Hell I love the ride, We're just laughing at your posts because you get things wrong. Take the last page when you talked about Colossus and it's LIM, I hate to break this to you but Colossus doesn't have LIM's. Now if you don't mind I'm going to stop feeding the troll.

EDIT: This is a ride with LIM's

I think you need to brush up on your ride vocabulary. And I'm laughing at you because I know I am right.

And enough of the troll business.

Colossus has magnetic brakes, which don't work in the same way as launching Linear Induction Motors (ESPECIALLY on Wicked Twister, due to the backwards and forwards motion)... Not all magnetic components in rides work the same, hence the difference between LIM and LSM launching systems (although the end product between the two is similar)...

As for the troll business, well, you could act a little less like a pillock... See in:

I think you need to brush up on your ride vocabulary. And I'm laughing at you because I know I am right.

What a lovely person... [/rolleyessmiley]

I'm not talking about the magnetic brakes, I'm talking about the LIM's in the station. Now who's a pillock.

Let's get back on topic (and less offensive (yes, Benin and Mia-Louise)), and one main reason Slammer will stay is because it's the only sky swatter left in the world. It's unique, and you're not likely to find another ride of its kind anymore.