Slammer

Artie

Honestly, I just can't understand the amount of hatred towards Slammer. Even though yes, it's impossible to deny that the reliability isn't good for the ride, I actually find the experience you get with it to be really fun and intense. It is one of the only rides today (up with Detonator and Oblivion) that still genuinely gets me really nervous every time I queue/ride it, which makes it a lot more fun.

I've been fortunate enough to visit almost every time since 2005 and get a ride on Slammer. The only exceptions I've had where the ride was shut all day was during Fright Nights 2010/2011.

But to me, even though it might not be the most popular ride at Thorpe and has bad reliability, it shouldn't be hated just because of the amount of downtime it receives. If the hatred was targeted more towards the experience with Slammer, that I can understand, but definitely not just the downtime.

Others have different experiences with Slammer to me, but I actually enjoy the ride and hope it stays for the next several years.

Well maybe it should burn to ground ASAP, then none of this would be happening? ;)

But I do agree, I seem to be the only so far who has expressed a great dislike to Slammer as a ride. All other negative comments are about the reliability / operations - so I don't see why people think there's great negativity towards the ride itself?

I'll leave the Slammer discussion alone now - think I've gotten my opinion across too well! :P

• 3 weeks later...

I give up.

No offence Steven, and I ain't having a personal go at you here, but this is what I am sick of generally on the net. People are obsessed with getting rid of this ride. It happens every year to rides, and people convince themselves a ride will be removed, and then they're dumbstruck when it's still there months later!

So no - it will be there this year.

I love Slammer, it's one of the only rides at Thorpe that's actually ever terrified me. It's an incredibly imposing, aesthetically pleasing ride.

It would be a shame to see such a unique and thrilling ride go, but in my opinion it is inevitable that it will go sooner rather than later.

I give up.

No offence Steven, and I ain't having a personal go at you here, but this is what I am sick of generally on the net. People are obsessed with getting rid of this ride. It happens every year to rides, and people convince themselves a ride will be removed, and then they're dumbstruck when it's still there months later!

So no - it will be there this year.

It was sarcasm. BOOM.

Six Flags New England seem to have announced the closure of their S&S Sky Swat, Catapult...which if my calculations are correct, means...

Slammer is the last surviving Sky Swat in the universe!

(Unless of course, six flags sell it on) ;)

Six Flags New England seem to have announced the closure of their S&S Sky Swat, Catapult...which if my calculations are correct, means...

Slammer is the last surviving Sky Swat in the universe!

(Unless of course, six flags sell it on) ;)

I doubt six flags will be selling it on due to its technical problems, however if they do try to sell it on, I doubt anyone will buy it!

Which means that slammer IS the last remaining sky swat in the world, however I have a feeling that in a couple of years time there will be no sky swats left in the world. I have never tried slammer, and I am desperate to try it this season and if it goes I will be very disappointed....

At six flags did catapult suffer lots of downtime aswell, because if it did, then there is a perfectly good reason to close it.

EDIT: it would be good if thorpe bought catapult and took it apart for spares, it would mean thorpe would have the record of only skyswat in the world AND it would mean slammer would be able to survive for a bit longer!

Here you say that it does have technical issues...

I doubt six flags will be selling it on due to its technical problems, however if they do try to sell it on, I doubt anyone will buy it!

Here you say you don't know if it has technical issues...

At six flags did catapult suffer lots of downtime aswell

I know I will recieve responses that I may be mad, but it just came to my mind that what if they put slammer indoors. Then they could incorporate effects like in Nemesis Sub-Terra. That would make it unique in ride terms, and exciting. But the techincal difficulties will be the only setback, and the height of the building required.

So there is another unreliable ride in the world other than Slammer then! :o

I hope slammer does last for a couple of years more, if thorpe do remove it in a couple of years, I hope they replace it with a good flat ride!

In a couple of years time I shall come back to this post...when Slammer is still fully operational. ;)

I know I will recieve responses that I may be mad, but it just came to my mind that what if they put slammer indoors.

Yep, you're mad. :D When Slammer is at the top horizontally, it's about level with the top of Colossus' lift hill, so about 30-35 metres high. They would need to build one mother of a building to fit Slammer in, probably about 50 metres high to allow clearance!

One thing that I have never understood about it is the fact it's unreliable yet it runs mainly on compressed air! I know the air isn't always it's reason for being down, but it should be the parks most reliable ride, along with Rush. That has problems too and I don't know if it's the air that causes it to run 1 arm at a time sometimes, but it's always the simpler technologies that go wrong!

Compressed air systems are just as complex as other systems (such as closest example being hydraulic launches)... And are also quite similar in a ways (fluid vs air (which in turn can act like a fluid and tends to do so in such systems))...

Simpler technologies in rides these days are ones which just have a lift hill... And even those have complex systems...