Slammer

Artie

I highly doubt they would just plow money senselessly into a ride which they do not believe is providing any sort of return for them. Clearly whatever amount of money they have spent on it, they have deemed it still profitable. The minute they deem it to be a total loss, no doubt it will head for the scrap heap.

Aside from the 'worlds only' tag it has now got; it has the potential, when run with a fair staffing, to be a capacity dream for a flat ride (in theory). It also is relatively popular, in the form of, it's daunting and people seem to desire to go on it due to its horrific appearance.

Aside from the 'worlds only' tag it has now got; it has the potential, when run with a fair staffing, to be a capacity dream for a flat ride (in theory). It also is relatively popular, in the form of, it's daunting and people seem to desire to go on it due to its horrific appearance.

What would you class as a 'capacity dream' for a flat ride, just outta interest? Given how long the ride cycle takes (especially the going up and down), I doubt that it's maximum theoretical throughput can reach above 600. I wouldn't call that a capacity dream for a flat ride.

I wouldn't call it THAT popular either. I think I've only ever seen Slammer have a queue of over an hour once or twice since it opened. Considering it was probably barely reaching 500pph, it's not exactly the most popular ride out there from that perspective.

I respect and understand your points guys, but I think Fred hit the nail on the head.

If it ran like it used to, with at least one bar checker on each end; and two individual batchers; and two individual operators, the ride cycles can be increased significantly - I'd say almost doubled to what they currently are. Yes the cycles are slow, but if it was staffed up again, the loading process time could be significantly reduced in my opinion.

When I say capacity dream, I mean in reflection to rides like Samurai; Quantum; Vortex - from my understanding Slammer can achieve much higher.

With regards to popularity, I think it's hard to tell. No, it doesn't always attract huge queues but then, at 48-per cycle; and it does frequently run relatively full on a busy day; I think its a queue line that's hard to judge. It just never really gets a chance to build much more than 15 minutes nowadays.

But maybe it's just my views on it. I could be completely wrong.

It's daunting yes, it looks horrific yes - hence why I DON'T want to go on it :lol:

Slammer may be popular but you will never get me on it. If it had proper full over the head restraints then maybe. Is the ride cycles on a program like a lot of flat rides or is it manual and the operator lets it go round for as long as they are allowed?

It has programs, it either spins 2 times each way or 3 (usually 3)

Its restraint system is fine and perfectly safe! You are just as secure as you would be if it had full over the head restraints!

I like the fact that Thorpe wants to keep this ride despite the problems that it suffers. As others as said its one of those rides that sorts out the more extreme riders from the more general lower level ones. Not only that given the space it takes up I can't see a better ride being put there in its place to be honest. If this was lost it would leave Canada Creek looking even more desolate than it does already. I feel they really need to put some new stuff there, leaving the old CCR station just empty seems such a waste as well.

I've been going thorpe for 6 years, and I've neevr been on slammer. I probably should though, because then I can go to America and go to six flags and be like 'Have you ridden a sky swat... have you? What about you.... Nah ah, didn't think so.'

Don't go to New England, cos people will say that they have...

It makes me think that if the park haven't opened it yet after tonnes of testing if they have any confidence in the ride at all... If this is the case, why haven't they given up on it yet?