Slammer

Artie

Sorry to contradict but it nearly was closed for half a day. Was closed 4/5 hours out of the 9 which is half thank you very much.

I dont get why you are all against my posting, the ride is unreliable, any breakdown could lead to the end of slammer.

That is still nothing, a few hours down time? I'll call the scrap yard in, eh?. There's no problem posting about the rides reliability, but the never ending melodramatic 'zomg closed 4 eva' nonsense each time (not necessarily aimed at you) just makes people look stupid and is pointless when nothing at all is known about the whats and whys of each non-incident.

The slammer ride team could not get the people out automatically or manually. The situation could have easily been like the rameses revenge incident if it wasnt for the engineers managing to find a way. 

Just no. They didn't manually or automatically release them, it's a massive, incorrect and misleading leap to say they couldn't. The engineers were just going through the normal procedure in that situation and it worked like normal, nothing 'more serious' was averted and it could not have magically turned into Ramesis type problem..

The Ramesis incident was something else, but people are left in rides as a matter of course for a variety of reasons. I was stuck on Inferno for over half hour on my last visit, I was not waiting for a fireman to turn up with the jaws of life to free me, I was just waiting for the right (ie tall enough!) person to come and manual release me with the big magic key. I did not consider the person to have saved me from a Ramesis incident.

As I understand it, Slammers manual release takes an age to work through all the seats, so it's generally quicker to wait for the engineers to do it 'en mass' than it is to start the individual release procedure. 

It is completely different to the likes of stealth which will be in the park for many more years to come. Every breakdown of slammers is just another reason for thorpe to get ride of it :(

And still you continue. Why would a minor breakdown that costs nothing more than a small amount of engineer time to fix be a reason to get rid of it? Yes overall cost and reliability will a consideration for development planning, but they aren't going to throw in the towl because of one of these nothing incidents.

I don't really know what more they could do to show their commitment to keeping Slammer going. This false drama is stupid.

The only reason I personally get scared when slammer is down is because it is so unreliable.

What scares me sometimes is the restraints! Even after all we've been hearing about them going up a click, I still find the over-head restraint a bit concerning. One of these days, someone's going to slip right through it! :o

What scares me sometimes is the restraints! Even after all we've been hearing about them going up a click, I still find the over-head restraint a bit concerning. One of these days, someone's going to slip right through it! :o

So long as your lap bar is done tightly enough, you can quite happily ride Slammer safely. The shoulder restraints are more there for added comfort and peace of mind I'd assume. :)

The only reason I personally get scared when slammer is down is because it is so unreliable. It is completely different to the likes of stealth which will be in the park for many more years to come. Every breakdown of slammers is just another reason for thorpe to get ride of it :(

Of the two times I've been to Thorpe, out of Slammer and Stealth - Slammer is the only one of those two that has been working... :)

To be fair, since Slammer reopened in May/June time (can't remember when exactly), it's been rather reliable.  Sure, they're opening it later and going general checks every day at 3pm, but they are clearly serious about keeping it running well, and I don't see any reason to panic about it being removed until it suffers a serious problem (which would be a breakdown lasting more than a couple of days, in my opinion).

To be fair, since Slammer reopened in May/June time (can't remember when exactly), it's been rather reliable.  Sure, they're opening it later and going general checks every day at 3pm, but they are clearly serious about keeping it running well, and I don't see any reason to panic about it being removed until it suffers a serious problem (which would be a breakdown lasting more than a couple of days, in my opinion).

I can't help but feel that opening a ride late, taking lots of time to load/send it and close it briefly for checks every day does not consitute as running a ride 'well'...

I can't help but feel that opening a ride late, taking lots of time to load/send it and close it briefly for checks every day does not consitute as running a ride 'well'...

True - maybe I shouldn't have put 'well' there. :P

Regardless, the point stands that Thorpe are serious about keeping the ride as long as possible, which should be noted over all this needless worry every time the ride has a blip.

The end seat of every row on Slammer (right hand paddle, not sure about left) was closed off today.  Not sure about the reasoning for this.  Also found out today that if people lean against the airgates the ride will E - stop, and could possibly do so upside down, which explains why they don't usually batch people into them until the ride is over (although they were today).

Just to clarify, these rows have been closed off since the ride reopened for 2014. I would imagine one or two seats are broken and the rest have to be closed for weight balance. My guess anyway.

They haven't.  I have visited and ridden Slammer several times since it reopened, and they were only there this time.  (I can confirm that I sat in the end seats currently closed off).

Just to clarify, these rows have been closed off since the ride reopened for 2014. I would imagine one or two seats are broken and the rest have to be closed for weight balance. My guess anyway.

They definitely haven't, I rode on the far end. I've never seen this and only recently I have heard this.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Edited by Tommy
Spelling