Slammer

Artie

Once I do Slammer then I won't mind if it leaves, I've heard it leaves you with headrush or something! :/ 

Yeah it always gave me a really bad headache, and everyone I rode it with. I personally don't see why everyone worships it, but I guess it's just down to taste. Just because it's the last of it's kind, doesn't mean it deserves to stay in my opinion.

I love slammer because of the free fall and the weightless sensation you get when its at full speed. Everyone else's reaction on the ride is also great entertainment. By no means is the last of its kind a reason to stay. The reason I think it should stay is because of the ride experience. The only issues its very much a Marmite ride. You either love slammer or hate it. 

At least it had a good run - opened end of May and operated every day until this week I believe?  Definitely seems like one of the best continuous opening times for the ride in recent years...

With reduced merch and it's closure, it does at least give more fuel to the 'Is it going?' discussion.  It'd of course be a shame to lose a ride to the line up, but as I've said countless times in the past, I'll be glad to see the back end of it.

Honestly, I really want Slammer to stay. It's the last of its kind in the world and it's just so unique. It also has a massive capacity. Someone also once told me that Slammer is a permanent ride I think all rides look permanent, ha ha. (but since it's closed now, I don't really believe in them now). I've never done Slammer but if it goes forever, something good HAS to go there. Slammer really looks like the best flat ride in the park.

How much longer will Slammer stay? If it does go, what will go there? That's the question we all want to know.

Ahhh gutted it is now closed for the rest of the season but glad I got to ride it last week - really hope that it reopens next year (probably needs maintenance or parts = more money spent on it)  It took me a looong time before I got the guts to ride Slammer - it is one of those rides that looks extremely intimidating when you watch it but actually great fun to ride.  Yeah it can give you a bit of a head rush but I prefer a head rush than feeling like I'm going to blow chunks ;) It is one of my favourite flat rides (not just at TP but in general) because of its uniqueness and the fact that it is the only one of its kind it would be fab if it was kept.  If it doesn't reopen next season I will be a wee bit gutted and also as has been mentioned before, rides that are SBNO don't look good - I remember when Rodeo at CWOA was SBNO and I felt sad for it (yeah I'm odd) - although not sure why because I hated Rodeo with a vengeance

Don't they have to have all parts made adlib?

I'd have thought that if the thing is leased, and it finishes at the end of this year, then they wouldn't have spent the bucket loads of money earlier this year on repairing it, I certainly wouldn't have unless the lease specified 'as new' on return, I really can,t see a ride like that being leased tbh.

Sooo the Twitter team are now saying that Slammer is closed for maintenance and a little TLC. Sort of sounds like they are planning to hopefully get it open again?

The thing is, if they were planning to get Slammer re-open next year then why would the medals be discounted rather than just not having them on sale until next year/leaving them there on full price?

I hope Slammer stays, it is a great ride but it does seem to be a bit of a nightmare to maintain.

At a wild and uneducated guess, I would suggest that they haven't fully decided on what is happening with Slammer, as surely if it was definitely leaving the park they would just be honest about it?

If they are planning to open it again it's most probably the main frame of the ride has cracked again so they're sorting it if they can't sort it they'll say goodbye to it.

As far as I know, when Slammer breaks down/needs new parts, Thorpe Park has to have them custom made, as S&S no longer make parts for it, as the ride design has been discontinued.

At a wild and uneducated guess, I would suggest that they haven't fully decided on what is happening with Slammer, as surely if it was definitely leaving the park they would just be honest about it?

I don't think they would to be honest - it's not in Thorpe's interest to advise now what ride(s) won't be available in 2016 as it's just negative publicity which isn't needed considering Merlin's current position... better to release that info at the start of the season with an explanation why, I.e. what's replacing it etc.

I don't think they would to be honest - it's not in Thorpe's interest to advise now what ride(s) won't be available in 2016 as it's just negative publicity which isn't needed considering Merlin's current position... better to release that info at the start of the season with an explanation why, I.e. what's replacing it etc.

I disagree with this, it would be much better to give people the opportunity to get their final rides on it - much like AT did with Corkscrew.