Slammer

Artie

5 minutes ago, imindetonator said:

Nice to see it open!

But I seriously think its Slammer time to go to the graveyard.

I go to Thorpe quite frequently and seeing Slammer in operation is very rare, plus it takes up a decent chunk of space.

#RIPSlammer&Samurai

Slammer has had a good year so far, opened on annual pass day and that was like the 2nd week its been closed all season. 

Slammer, as great as it is, has been needing to be thrown in a skip for the last 4-5 years really. We should probably realise by now that Thorpe aren't going to get rid of it in the next couple as either they can't be arsed when they have a ride that still works a quarter of the time or they just like throwing money away. Fingers crossed Slammer still has a dignified end.

5 hours ago, Celia Mae said:

@slendercat, Thorpe can't get rid of Slammer because the man they lease the land from has said no, as its the world's only and he likes it. :rolleyes:

The owners who they lease the land from will have no say in any way what rides the park has - will be totally down to Thorpe / Merlin :P 

Im not sure it's time is up just yet - after all the work it's had it runs fairly well - apart from the last couple weeks of course!

• 2 weeks later...

Slammer is truly unique, but as I've said before I don't consider it "re-rideable", I.e. once a day does me if I have time. Today, I noticed it doing a test run, so went and chatted to the staff, not much information there, but I chose to wait; five minutes and it was ready, first on, and had a spin, nice.

4 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

We did note that after doing the first cycle, she CBA to level out completely and just starts going back the other way!

I noticed that as well actually! That and it raising and lowering quicker are really noticeable changes. 

Opened at half 9 on Sunday -  was shocked it beat 4 of the major coasters to opening.  Go Slammer

Anyone on park got any info on the slammer incident today? 

Just seen a few bits on facebook today understand it was stuck for ages and parts of the ride were apparently stripped down/ unbolted by engineers to lower and release guests

34 minutes ago, RobF said:

Anyone on park got any info on the slammer incident today? 

Just seen a few bits on facebook today understand it was stuck for ages and parts of the ride were apparently stripped down/ unbolted by engineers to lower and release guests

Where'd you see this? 

It closed at half 2 and didn't re open so would make sense

• 2 months later...
On 10/29/2016 at 4:25 PM, Josh3103 said:

Slammer has been closed for the last 2 days 

...and according to TPM facebook has now had its signage removed, as it has in previous yours when it hasn't quite made the season.

I went to Thorpe last Monday and one of the things I was going to say if I ever got round to writing a trip report was how wonderfully Slammer was running. A couple of years back it felt like it was limping through its rotations, but now it was really whipping through. The whole structure felt solid, it accelerated to an impressive speed really quickly, and I saw no issues with it all day. It was running full of people and even loading and unloading pretty swiftly. 

Of course, when the signage comes down the immediate rumor is that's it, it's gone for good. In previous years, although I'd have been sad to see it go as I really do enjoy it and love having something so unique here, I thought that might be for the best as it had been struggling so much. Would be a real shame if now they had it running so well for so long it  finally dies for good.