Slammer

Artie

It is possible for the ride to get stuck upside down. It has previously been stuck at beyond verticle position.

The ride has had it's balance position altered, to lower the chances of coming to an akward upside down stop. Stopping at the top of the towers is not as serious as you would think and is more an issue with the locking pins failing to transfer I'd expect, which would prevent the ride running into rotate anyway.It's THE ride in the park that managers keep a sharp eye on and as with Alton; any power cut, or near by power cut, then Slammer is closed until the all clear.

The loading times for Slammer are extremely slow this season. I know it has never has the fastest loading times due to its unusual type of restraints but I'm sure its loading never used to be as slow as it is now. Is there a problem with the ride making loading take longer than usual? or is it just an issue with low numbers of staff working on the ride?

I assume it's just new staff getting used to the ride, it seems to take teams longer to get used to it which would therefore make loading times slower. It also seems to be a ride where even if everyone is putting maximum effort in, one person can slow the whole thing up hugely.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Slammer was down the whole day yesterday. Saw a cherry picker on it around lunchtime with an engineer having a look at something near the top of one of the towers. I went past it in the afternoon and there were a couple of cables hanging down from that tower. Judging by the state of it, I reckon it's out for at least a week.

Slammer was down the whole day yesterday. Saw a cherry picker on it around lunchtime with an engineer having a look at something near the top of one of the towers. I went past it in the afternoon and there were a couple of cables hanging down from that tower. Judging by the state of it, I reckon it's out for at least a week.

I went to Thorpe Park today and Slammer was open in the afternoon.

LOL.

The info boards at the entrance were saying it was unlikely that Slammer will be open all day when I was there yesterday, but they managed to get it working in the afternoon!Thorpe are doing a fantastic job with their reliability this year.I've noticed the Slammer loading times are slow recently too, they always do a good job at loading and checking restraints, but then they seem to have to wait for a while before it can be raised. Also there is often a long delay between offloading riders and re-loading new ones, there's a long wait before the gates are opened. No complaints though, Slammer rarely has a queue anyway!

• 2 months later...

It probably could be made portable, but when the ride is lifted to the top of the tower, it uses compressed air and the tanks are massive (they are the same size as the ones next to rush but are layed down to the left of slammer in an enclosure). S&S power don't make portable rides, but they could well start to make them! One company that do make portable rides powered by compressed air are SAFECO rides.

It probably could be made portable, but when the ride is lifted to the top of the tower, it uses compressed air and the tanks are massive (they are the same size as the ones next to rush but are layed down to the left of slammer in an enclosure). S&S power don't make portable rides, but they could well start to make them! One company that do make portable rides powered by compressed air are SAFECO rides.

it doesent have to be compressed air I suppose it could be a simple cable pulling passengers up but the only problem with that is you could not hold as many people as compressed air would!

• 3 weeks later...

It happens whenever Slammer is unavailable, I assume so that if they are doing work on it and it falls or anything then people are a far enough distance away.It also stop people queueing for it to re-open.The area cut off is basically all the area containing Slammer from the edge of the toilets building.But yeah, Slammer is an epic ride :)

How come when I visited at the start of the holidays, Slammer was closed until about 12:30, but the ride team were just stood by the queue entrance while the mechanics were busy doing something to the ride? They just told people that it should be ready at about mid-day, which was good of them to actually tell you when it will be ready. :)

How come when I visited at the start of the holidays, Slammer was closed until about 12:30, but the ride team were just stood by the queue entrance while the mechanics were busy doing something to the ride? They just told people that it should be ready at about mid-day, which was good of them to actually tell you when it will be ready. :)

Er... What's wrong with that?