Colossus

Adam J

• 4 weeks later...

Some day in the future Colossus may be under threat of losing it's world record for biggest number of inversions, that's because Intamin have now released the design plans for a 12-Inversion coaster! However, it contains only 3 heartline rolls, but 5 Corkscrews! :P It also contains a Pretzel loop, Vertical loop and Cobra roll. Taken from ThemeParkReview, and Intamin's new website. Posted ImageIf a park ever does build one of these, it does make me wonder how rough it will be with 5 Corkscrews.

Some day in the future Colossus may be under threat of losing it's world record for biggest number of inversions, that's because Intamin have now released the design plans for a 12-Inversion coaster! However, it contains only 3 heartline rolls, but 5 Corkscrews! :P It also contains a Pretzel loop, Vertical loop and Cobra roll.

Ah well, it's had it for a very long time so really it's not that bad a thing. The inversion record is really the only one a ride can hold onto for any great length of time to be honest. Dragon Khan held it for 7 years and Colossus could hold it for at least another 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Second half of the rides completely pointless, uncomfortable, slow, boring. First half is rough and the drop is slooooow.

Surely thats down to opinion? I think the second half of the ride is probably the most fun bit of it, whilst I agree, its been rough in the past, its certainly much improved now and ive rode much rougher!

Second half of the rides completely pointless, uncomfortable, slow, boring. First half is rough and the drop is slooooow.

It starts off quite well, the airtime hill is very good and the head chopper effect under the bridge still fools me today. Yes it gets a bit rubbishy towards the end which is a shame. The in-line twists are fun but the train goes very slowly through those inversions. The train is uncomfortable and badly designed which lets the ride down quite a bit! If only they can get new trains in, the ride will be so much better!

I may as well throw my two cents into this as well...Colossus has aged horribly in addition to it's terrible trains with lack of leg-room, making it stupidly rough and quite often gives me a headache after I've ridden it...Also I've had incredibly horrid experiences in the queue-line due to it's poor throughput, let alone the state the ride is in (Medusa Pit and the Lift-Hill)...Colossus 90% of the time just doesn't have a queue that I would be willing to queue for to feel ill afterwards quite frankly for the reasons above...

Colossus 90% of the time just doesn't have a queue that I would be willing to queue for to feel ill afterwards quite frankly for the reasons above...

This. The queue for Colossus can be extraordinarily long and can be as painful as the ride itself sometimes. I'd never wait more than 20 minutes for it personally, and I rarely see that...

I personally really like Colossus, in the front row, it is phenomenal IMO. BUT there is too much variation in ride experience for it to be a permanent favourite for me, in addition to the shocking restraints and throughput and the fact it always has a huge queue.Theme music = Majorly epic though :P

Other than SAW, it does pull in the biggest queue. And when the SAW hype dies down, I think it will retain this.

...but like... doesn't Colossus get something shockingly diabolical such as 850 people per hour?Whenever I visit Thorpe (and that's less and less these days), frankly I often miss the ride totally due to the queue length.

Look at the trains on Maverick for example, they are very 'roomy' and I suppose that Intamin could design a larger version for Colossus. But I agree with most people that Colossus really needs some new trains to get rid of the roughness/headbanging. I think it would be possible to have new trains, but it will probably not be one of Thorpe Park's priorities at the moment or in the near future.

Look at the trains on Maverick for example, they are very 'roomy' and I suppose that Intamin could design a larger version for Colossus. But I agree with most people that Colossus really needs some new trains to get rid of the roughness/headbanging. I think it would be possible to have new trains, but it will probably not be one of Thorpe Park's priorities at the moment or in the near future.

The longer versions of the Maverick trains are essentially the accelerator trains...And even then, they also suffer from neck bashing issues for me... It's what made Maverick a less than perfect coaster for me...Intamin need to do SOMETHING about their restraint design in general... And I really cannot see Colossus getting new trains anytime soon...

The longer versions of the Maverick trains are essentially the accelerator trains...And even then, they also suffer from neck bashing issues for me... It's what made Maverick a less than perfect coaster for me...Intamin need to do SOMETHING about their restraint design in general... And I really cannot see Colossus getting new trains anytime soon...

Know any parks with closed Intamins? I'm just saying.. maybe Thorpe could get some second hand ones in... Maybe Monte Makaya!