Colossus

Adam J

When I first went on Colossus it didn't seem that rough. (My dad says otherwise).

I think the older it gets the smoother it is feels quite nice and smooth even over saw which needs a bit more pull I feel because tracks not warn in as much .

Saw the quickest dispatches I've ever seen on Colossus yesterday, most of the time the train was ready to be, or already dispatched as the other train was entering the break run, much better than the 5-10 minute dispatch times on AP day. Oh and just to add, after yesterday Colossus is IMO the best ride at Thorpe, and this opinion was surprisingly backed up by the guys I visited with yesterday. Not even a twinge of roughness or pain, BUT it seems to be that now, the further forward you sit in the train, the more bumpy/vibratory.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I was at Thorpe today and Colossus did have a lift hill evac at about 11-11:30, but it seems only about 15 minutes after it was fully evacuated (this took almost 40 mins) the train was cleared from the lift and test runs were made, then it reopened and was back to normal again. Then again later in the day, they were still sending quite a lot of the trains empty and sometimes only with people in the first cars (whilst the queue was still open) Don't know what was quite up with Colossus today, but it certainly wasn't having a good day, might be something to do with the downtime it had yesterday and the day before?

I finally went on colosuss O_O it's a great ride don't get me wrong but there is something about it that makes me think I'd die on it (no I'm not refering it to final destination) I think its just because it seems and sounds old.I HATE the corkscrew, it hurts my collarbone and just makes me feel like I was going to fall out and die. LOOL. but I did go on it 5 times as I was forced the other 4 times ;)

Went on Colossus 5 times in a row yesterday, got to stay seated ;) really is my favourite coaster at Thorpe. It is a little bit bumpy but it's the ride that actually excites me the most...without putting that in an inappropriate way, it's the ride that I get the most out of...am I making sense?

I finally went on colosuss O_O it's a great ride don't get me wrong but there is something about it that makes me think I'd die on it (no I'm not refering it to final destination) I think its just because it seems and sounds old.I HATE the corkscrew, it hurts my collarbone and just makes me feel like I was going to fall out and die. LOOL. but I did go on it 5 times as I was forced the other 4 times ;)

Aww die never heard anyone say that before :0 I'f you think it sounds old now you should have Heard in previous years it's smoother and quieter this year and better than ever agreed that the corkscrew can be painful . But I still love it :D

Aww die never heard anyone say that before :0 I'f you think it sounds old now you should have Heard in previous years it's smoother and quieter this year and better than ever agreed that the corkscrew can be painful . But I still love it :P

I have a yellow bruise on my left collar bone still lol.... but then I do bruise easily...... still was great fun even if I did get battered ;)

I agree, Colossus does seem a lot smoother this year. But both times I've been the Cobra Roll has still tried to assassinate me.

I usally find it smoother at the back in the cobra roll but not as thrilling a view . And always find the last spin the most painful of all before the station .

• 2 weeks later...

The worst Colossus has done to me is bash my ears when I've stupidly left my earrings in (and I have quite a few in each ear so it's pretty damn painful) when going through the cobra roll. But the corkscrews and rolls have never hurt me - then again I'm pretty little, maybe that has something to do with it?

I suppose I'm lucky in the fact that I don't find Colossus rough due to my head being well above the restraint. I remember the worst time for Colossus for me was when they had those awful metal plates on the sides of each car whilst they were waiting for new restraints from Intamin.Colossus was great in 2002, those original restraints were awesome.I can't wait to get on Colossus again actually. It's one of my favourites! :)

• 1 month later...
Even beyond the subjective, Colossus is a success in every meaning of the word. The ride succeeded in putting Thorpe Park on the map, and remains the parks’ main workhorse in that respect. Furthermore, whilst many immediately write off multi-looping coasters, to the public they remain a unique phenomenon, especially Colossus which is quite unlike any coaster in Europe.

Even beyond the subjective, Colossus is a success in every meaning of the word. The ride succeeded in putting Thorpe Park on the map, and remains the parks’ main workhorse in that respect. Furthermore, whilst many immediately write off multi-looping coasters, to the public they remain a unique phenomenon, especially Colossus which is quite unlike any coaster in Europe.

Still doesn't make the ride itself any good... :rolleyes: