Colossus

Adam J

Whilst for sure Colossus is abit rough in places, I don't see how people manage to come off with headaches, if you brace your self against the forces its fine, well allways has been for me

Whenever I hear this about any coaster I automatically have an annoyance with it...Why should I NEED to brace myself throughout to prevent getting a head/neck/back/lifeache? That's not the design of a good coaster, and is why Intamin aren't particularly my fave ride manufacturers, as their restraint systems prevented Maverick and iSpeed being top 10 coasters...In short, if I have to brace myself to enjoy myself, what's the point?

Exactly. At Thorpe you can compare Inferno to Saw and Colossus in that respect. Whilst Inferno is fast and forceful you never have to put your head forward or move with the ride as the B&M briliance takes you through its circuit perfectly.With Saw, I even know where the ride wants to kill me but it still didn't prepare me for the headache I had to embrace for the rest of its day. So with that being said Colossus isn't the roughest ride at Thorpe. But its certainly not an easy ride for newbies to brace themselves for.

Whenever I hear this about any coaster I automatically have an annoyance with it...Why should I NEED to brace myself throughout to prevent getting a head/neck/back/lifeache? That's not the design of a good coaster, and is why Intamin aren't particularly my fave ride manufacturers, as their restraint systems prevented Maverick and iSpeed being top 10 coasters...In short, if I have to brace myself to enjoy myself, what's the point?

I dont see how that makes it a badly designed ride, its fast and forceful, if you was to sit on Nemesis without bracing your self and letting your head go whichever way it wanted you would hit your head too....

I dont see how that makes it a badly designed ride, its fast and forceful, if you was to sit on Nemesis without bracing your self and letting your head go whichever way it wanted you would hit your head too....

Funnily enough I don't... Exactly the same for Katun and Raptor over in Italy... Able to sit there and just let the ride do what it does... I very rarely brace myself on rides unless I absolutely need to (another example recently, Sequoia Adventure), and I have never felt a need to do so on Nemesis... Next time I go to Towers I will do exactly that, sit down, and not hold on/loosen up/whatever else to be comfy and I will 100% predict that I will not come off with either a bashed head or a headache...In order to enjoy iSpeed, I had to place my hands on the sides of my neck on the restraint... THAT, is poor design... And is similar of basically every Intamin I've been on that corners with OTSRs... Awfully designed restraints...

Funnily enough I don't... Exactly the same for Katun and Raptor over in Italy... Able to sit there and just let the ride do what it does... I very rarely brace myself on rides unless I absolutely need to (another example recently, Sequoia Adventure), and I have never felt a need to do so on Nemesis... Next time I go to Towers I will do exactly that, sit down, and not hold on/loosen up/whatever else to be comfy and I will 100% predict that I will not come off with either a bashed head or a headache...In order to enjoy iSpeed, I had to place my hands on the sides of my neck on the restraint... THAT, is poor design... And is similar of basically every Intamin I've been on that corners with OTSRs... Awfully designed restraints...

I guess everyones different, I for instance find Vampire rough, it seems to shake you backwards and forwards and I find that much more painful than Colossus, but what ever ride I ride be it a B&M or Intamin I will brace my self to a degree becuase at high speeds I expect there to be some force which would possibly cause pain if I wasnt to brace my self.Ive never been on iSpeed so cant really comment, but from experience with rita your right, you do need to be very careful not to hit your neck on the side of them bars as whilst it goes though the corners, it can hurt, but on say Stealth, I have no problem with them restraints atall.

I've had to sit at the back of Colossus for the last 5/6 years... It's never been half as rough as some people like to make out, for me anyway. I used to get leg cramps during the inline twists, but not anymore. I've had rougher rides in the UK (Infusion, Rita, my first ride on Nemesis was rather bumpy - but amazing second/third time around, Turbo on Brighton pier is like death)

The only part of the ride where you get spun (or moved out of an upwards/downwards force) on nemmy is going over the station - and nah you can't hit your head when not bracing yourself at all. Infact, it's incredibly fun. I suggest it (sit on the right hand side for full effect).True, I can't think of any B&M where I have to brace myself. Whereas I do with Colossus, and SAW.. and will come off those two with a banging headache. Eurgh.

I find Colossus very rough and I don't blame the restraints. It's the track that is rough as a badgers back side. I used to love the ride when it first opened, now I won't ride it unless it's a short queue.My first go on R.I.T.A, I banged my head so hard on the harness, as it turned after the launch, that I was dizzy for a while, after the ride :(Chris.

The only part of the ride where you get spun (or moved out of an upwards/downwards force) on nemmy is going over the station - and nah you can't hit your head when not bracing yourself at all. Infact, it's incredibly fun. I suggest it (sit on the right hand side for full effect).

When I was a lot younger I did used to hurt my head at this point, and just before when your picture is taken. There was a picture once of my head being squashed into the side! Haha!

I do like Colossus and how you are quite exposed to the side of you; especially effective during heart line rolls. But I'm wondering how many people would rather have the side plates reinstalled and have the less leg pinning restraints brought back?

Prefer it this way. The side plates made getting into the train even more difficult then it is now. having to squeeze between side plates and the old restraints was a nightmare.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Being from Blackpool I'm used to rough rides. Grand National, Big Dipper, Revolution... all old and sea-battered.And yes, I admit SAW is rough and that's down to it being awfully designed. I mean who the hell designs a ride to head into an inversion one way, then flip it to go the other in a split-second Posted ImageBut for me I'm like JoshC, I find Colossus to rough to warrant. If it's got no queue, okay I'd do it. Or if a big group wanted to do it, I'd do it. I've done it twice in my life, once in March, once in June. And yesterday I didn't even bother. It's the roughest thing I've ever ridden, not helped by my size (long legs, thin chest) meaning it kills me to get into the back rows of the cars, and I'm flying everywhere in the restraint whilst my legs are pinned right into the seat.For me, it's not the ride thats rough. It's the trains that make it rough. I can deal with a bit of a bash around on my neck, on that SAW is worse. But when I'm so heavily pinned and squashed in, even going over the air-time hill before the Cobra is like death to me.

• 4 months later...