Colossus

Adam J

I thought they only ran it on one car on weekdays?

Yeah they will open it on 1 train, but if the demand is there they will try and add another train as soon as they can. If they predict it to be a busy weekday however, they will open it on 2 trains.

Colossus was only running on one car yesterday (22nd) which rather slowed queues, anyone know why?

I can only assume that there was something wrong with it at the moment? On the 22nd it reached 60 minutes, and yesterday (23rd) it reached 70 minutes. That length of time is clearly enough demand for a second train to be added.

Yeah they will open it on 1 train, but if the demand is there they will try and add another train as soon as they can. If they predict it to be a busy weekday however, they will open it on 2 trains.

I'm fed up of this whole pathetic "demand" thing, trying to cover up the real reason why the coasters don't operate on two trains at thorpe. It's just a shoddy excuse to hide the fact that Thorpe don't want to or are unable to add more cars to the circuit.

A queue, of any length is quite frankly enough "demand" to warrant the second train. Therefore, unless of a genuine technical error, more cars should be added to the circuit as soon as a queue is starting to form. However, it's not a irregular occurance at thorpe to see the coasters operating one train all day on a weekday. Many a time I've been on a weekday and the coasters have reached 30-70minute queues and second trains haven't been added on any of them. This is shockingly poor on Thorpe's behalf and it is almost impossible to defend them here as this has happened on several occasions. Unless of technical errors, it seems to be due to understaffing or the fact thorpe simply don't want to spend money as to why more cars are not added. This is completely unacceptable and the fact thorpe constantly cover up the real reasons with excuses about "demand" is pathetic as often they say this when queues are well above half an hour on reduced capacity.

I think Europa Park in 2 weeks will be a real eye opener for me, it's going to prove how poor operations at certain UK parks really are.

• 1 month later...

Most of the time when its been on one train lately, you just see the other one sitting in the workshop with no engineers even in there, suggesting that they just don't have enough engineers to run multiple trains and that they choose which days are going to be run at both train capacity and if they get it wrong they don't add another train. As well as this, this year, Colossus pretty much always starts on one train and a second one is brought out about an hour and a half later, again showing that they don't have enough engineers or they are not bringing them in earlier enough because each train takes an hour and a half to sign off for use each morning.

Colossus maybe more operational as it often needs to use Sand dummies when empty early in the day, as when Colossus doesn't have a queue its a ball ache as all the bars need to be raised to reset the system ,locking out cars can help this, it also prevents excessive wear and tear rather than running empty. I'm not saying its an excuse but I can see why they do it those bars are not light and cause back problems for staff

It would really be beneficial for staff and guests if the Colossus restraints raised by themselves like Stealth's, but that would never be added unless they bought new trains and changed a bit of the electrical systems, but even changing the trains to new models would make the difference on its own as the restraints are much lighter. And with the system it is really annoying that all the bars have to be raised unless they have been locked down, so actually a few software changes could make the life of differences and while they are at that they could finish painting the ride! But this is Merlin we are talking about here and they wont do anything unless it is massively below standards that the park has to meet....

• 1 month later...

For me Colossus is the only big roller coaster at Thorpe which I would not reride, it is in need of some help! Last time I went on summer nights they only had one train, and half of the seats where broken, so only 12 people on one train could go. For me it needs new trains with lap bars, and then it'll be ok. But as Matt said it's merlin so a repaint would be impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At summer nights they close off rows as it is ride procedure (something to do with stalling I think). It is not an issue with the trains. Of course the ride would be far better with new trains and a lick of paint but I don't see it happening. They still continue to pour money into samurai to keep it working. I don't see that culture changing any time soon. I reckon they will pour money into those trains for many many more years to come. 

At summer nights they close off rows as it is ride procedure (something to do with stalling I think). It is not an issue with the trains. Of course the ride would be far better with new trains and a lick of paint but I don't see it happening. They still continue to pour money into samurai to keep it working. I don't see that culture changing any time soon. I reckon they will pour money into those trains for many many more years to come.

Rows are shut off to make it easier for staff - noting to do with it stalling.

On Colossus every bar needs to be raised before you can re-lock them , on dead timed that's alot of effort so it's acutely more efficient to run with less seats

Rows are shut off to make it easier for staff - noting to do with it stalling.

On Colossus every bar needs to be raised before you can re-lock them , on dead timed that's alot of effort so it's acutely more efficient to run with less seats

I sorta remember the staff saying to me about it was just easier for them. When I went it was dead and I got front seat to myself and the back half of the train was closed anyway aswell as only running one train.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm f***** if I'd ride Colossus with just a lap bar.

That did make me laugh :lol:

I've always said I wouldn't fancy going on anything that goes upside down without an OTSR - however I would make an exception for Colossus purely for the head banging I incurred the last time I rode it