Colossus

Adam J

10 hours ago, Han30 said:

Agree - I actually quite like Colossus (this is quite controversial but I prefer it over Inferno) BUT in all honesty I can't see them getting new trains or getting a paint job - God knows how much that would cost and if they would even want to invest in it - I'd also like to see the medusa pit looking nice and clean again but its been skanky for years!   My most recent ride on Colossus was beyond painful but then I was near the back - usually I find it much better nearer the front. Would be so much better with lap bars - no head banging!

I actually can't choose between the two, I feel nemesis inferno would be great if it went on a bit longer, always feels too short! So for that reason I'd also go for Colossus.

I also don't think they'll do anything to spruce up Colossus because it gives it that weather beaten, old look. But adding a couple of new things like the fire effect in the swarm but theming it to the lost city would be cool, like a water feature or something! Usually its just a few rain puddles on the floor lol....

I got told on a backstage tour from an engineer that the reason intamins and geratlauers are rougher in comparison to B&Ms is because the track itself (two steel tubes that the wheels sit on specifically) is hollow whereas B&Ms tubing is solid steel. He said however this means that intamins & gerstlauers generally can produce more speed with less comfort whilst B&Ms are more comfortable but generally have less speed.

That has very little to do with the roughness of the rides, per example. The roughness for saw & Colossus in particular comes from the fact that they both sit on reclaimed, and sinking, land.

Gerst, intamin, and mack all have the capability of producing silky smooth rides, even more so then some B&Ms, however there are countless factors that play a part in how smooth a ride is, which may effect specific track designs more then others.

On 28/09/2016 at 0:31 AM, Han30 said:

Agree - I actually quite like Colossus (this is quite controversial but I prefer it over Inferno) BUT in all honesty I can't see them getting new trains or getting a paint job - God knows how much that would cost and if they would even want to invest in it - I'd also like to see the medusa pit looking nice and clean again but its been skanky for years!   My most recent ride on Colossus was beyond painful but then I was near the back - usually I find it much better nearer the front. Would be so much better with lap bars - no head banging!

I'm a big fan of Colossus actually. I prefer it to both saw and Stealth (I know I have an odd opinion). I don't actually recall having an agonisingly rough ride on it - not that that could be said for Saw which seems to bruise me all over. 

New trains would definitely be a positive change and one that I'd like to see soon. However, I don't think Colossus will last much longer as it's throughout is low and footprint has the potential for something much bigger and better.

I give it until 2021...

I generally enjoy Colossus, but my last ride was dreadful (I was in about row 4).

I purposely left some space between me and the restraint for comfort, but during the first drop the harness just tightenend up way too much. This made the ride needlessly uncomfortable.

So far, the only times I've enjoyed it this year are in the front row.

This thing needs a repaint and/or a change of trains as it's only going to get worse, I honestly find it worse than Saw at this moment in time :excl:

Went on it today and the number of people that come off saying they feel a little tender afterwards is pretty consistent.

On a slightly related topic, was there a particular mechanical or other reason that Vampire got new trains? I know Vekoma came in and did a load of work on the control system also. Just trying to think how viable Colossus getting new trains would be. Unfortunately, unless any new car design offers a drastically different experience I can't see them going through with the bother. Can only hope.

Since Arrow went defunct after the Vampire refurb (due to issues with X at Six Flags who sued their asses off), I don't think that's entirely the case... Probably more to do with maintenance costs or potential issues, since it stood SBNO for an entire year...

Merlin won't invest in new trains unless they can market it as something and get a ROI... Which is an ok idea for most businesses no doubt but not the best practice for a theme park... Even though happy guests are more likely to part with their cash on tat and food...

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bump this topic but I have a really strange question and I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help me out?

I just stumbled across this video on you tube somehow and noticed it uses part of the Colossus theme but instead has a guy rapping over it. Does anyone know if Thorpe Park commissioned the song originally, or is the version in this video the original?

When I googled the lyrics nothing showed up which was quite strange and also leads me to believe that the guy raping must have used the Thorpe version as a sample. Is anyone able to clear this up for me?

1 hour ago, Chessiekid said:

Sorry to bump this topic but I have a really strange question and I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help me out?

I just stumbled across this video on you tube somehow and noticed it uses part of the Colossus theme but instead has a guy rapping over it. Does anyone know if Thorpe Park commissioned the song originally, or is the version in this video the original?

When I googled the lyrics nothing showed up which was quite strange and also leads me to believe that the guy raping must have used the Thorpe version as a sample. Is anyone able to clear this up for me?

it's possible both whoever made that song and whoever made Colosus' theme tune used the same royalty free music/samples

edit: actually I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened listening to both versions, they both probs got the horn section as a sample

(something like this)

Agreed. Otherwise expect HORROR RIDE AT SURREY THEME PARK headlines come opening day!

* Riders stuck for 30 minutes in pouring rain
* Eye witnesses reported test dummies being sent round before the ride opened later then scheduled at 11am

* Dave (19) said the experience meant "He weren't gonna go to theme parks no more" (sic) and "Surely if they are testing it with dummies it ain't safe"
* THORPE PARK - home of "The Colossus" is owned by Merlin Entertainments who also operate Alton Towers, where the Smiler ride caused unprecedented injuries in June 2015

Easy this journalism lark... :P  

18 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

Agreed. Otherwise expect HORROR RIDE AT SURREY THEME PARK headlines come opening day!

* Eye witnesses reported test dummies being sent round before the ride opened later then scheduled at 11am

* Dave (19) said the experience meant "He weren't gonna go to theme parks no more" (sic) and "Surely if they are testing it with dummies it ain't safe"
* THORPE PARK - home of "The Colossus" is owned by Merlin Entertainments who also operate Alton Towers, where the Smiler ride caused unprecedented injuries in June 2015

Best thing I've read for ages! :good:

3 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

I love it ???