Colossus

Adam J

Just thought I would bring this up, as I haven't yet seen anyone else say this. Towards the end of last season people in this thread were talking the foundations of Colossus being it's main issue causing the roughness. If you look between the first and second corkscrew you can see that the supports here have been made so they are surrounded by brick walls, preventing them from being in the water, and have been reinforced. Looks more so at the moment as a measure to prevent them from sinking, and to protect the ride for the future.

On another note, this is probably just me, but the lift sounds far quieter to me this year, bar obviously at the top when it releases, and this is probably because its early in the season, it actually felt smoother then it has in past years to me.

Finally, does anyone know if it has ran both trains at all this year, or the status of train one? This is as I've only seen train two run, because its only seemed to run on one train at the beginning of the season for the last two or three years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2017 at 3:46 PM, Matt10 said:

Just thought I would bring this up, as I haven't yet seen anyone else say this. Towards the end of last season people in this thread were talking the foundations of Colossus being it's main issue causing the roughness. If you look between the first and second corkscrew you can see that the supports here have been made so they are surrounded by brick walls, preventing them from being in the water, and have been reinforced. Looks more so at the moment as a measure to prevent them from sinking, and to protect the ride for the future.

On another note, this is probably just me, but the lift sounds far quieter to me this year, bar obviously at the top when it releases, and this is probably because its early in the season, it actually felt smoother then it has in past years to me.

Finally, does anyone know if it has ran both trains at all this year, or the status of train one? This is as I've only seen train two run, because its only seemed to run on one train at the beginning of the season for the last two or three years.

Same for me - when I went recently, I didn't find it rough at all.

Yes I know it's a Thorpe classic but come on, it's bare on theming and I know it has some cool fly through tunnel moments but it does NOT make up for its roughness. It's not TOO bad on the middle to front but near the back it's unbearable! It gives me a killing headache

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's preferable row for riding Colossus? I personally always attempt to get back row as the back row, left seat for me is personally my favourite. I also think the sheer number of times I go on it (at least 2 a visit as its my favourite coaster by far), I just know how to sit, as I can easily go the whole ride without my head hitting the restraint once, or even having the restraint come down on me. I personally think the fact that the ride isn't smooth the whole way around and isn't a flat ride, is what makes me enjoy it so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After another five rides at the weekend, 3 of which being on the back and one in car 5, with the other in car 4, I have to say it feels smoother overall. Although, I actually found it far smoother at the back, mind you that is naturally my favourite place to sit, yes, even over the front row. As well as this, train one also seems to be smoother to me, but I wasn't really sitting in the rough cars of that train.

Good to finally see the two trains for my first time this year on Sunday, dodgy operation around the morning, but at the end of the day when it was quieter, operations were good enough to enable the opportunity to stay on multiple times.

Colossus is rough, but hadn't been unbearable until this season. Even then, it may have only seemed rougher because I had a new piercing and every time the train shook, the restraint would rub against it, which is very painful! Moral of the story: take earrings out on Colossus!

I honestly don't see how people are finding it worse this year, for me I've found every of the 11 rides I've had on it this year (8 train 2, 3 train 1) far smoother, but I still actually think that car 4/5 is the worst place in terms of roughness.

My last ride on this was awful! I was in about the middle car and my head was just aching for ages afterwards.
I just don't like Colossus, that scrap piece of metal must be demolished and replaced with an RMC!

I absolutely agree! I've had one good ride out of the 10+ rides I've had on it, dreadful, you could fit a lovely b&m sit down Coaster in the section!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 26 April 2017 at 5:35 PM, Whatever said:

Colossus is rough, but hadn't been unbearable until this season. Even then, it may have only seemed rougher because I had a new piercing and every time the train shook, the restraint would rub against it, which is very painful! Moral of the story: take earrings out on Colossus!

Ouch I feel your pain - I've done Colossus after a cartilage piercing and it hurt like hell - I always laugh at the signs that say to remove large earrings - I have 14 ear piercings and would be there all day but I wear small hoops - I think studs would dig in and hurt a lot.

Back to Colossus - I've not actually bothered with it so far this year as the queues have been quite hefty - I went off it a bit last year due to the roughness (weirdly though I LOVE Saw) - by far the worse place for me to sit is at the back - especially after the cobra roll - ouch.  Front row is not as bad - I do actually like it but it shakes my brain cell a bit too much

• 2 weeks later...

Scrap this pile of crap!

nothing else to say

On 8/4/2008 at 2:34 PM, Adam J said:
Sam P said:

It's a great ride it is one of my favourite rides at the park. :)

Its one of mine to, mind you I do think its a bit rough if you sit at the back though other than that its fantastic!

The ride has been rough since it was six years old (at least), surely after 9 more years of operation the park must be thinking of knocking it down