Colossus

Adam J

*Meanwhile Elsewhere*

• Efteling re-tracks Python (despite not being that rough)
  • Phantasialand re-imagines River Quest (with new theming, effects and soundtrack)
  • Europa continue improving and reimagining attractions I.E Madame Freudenrich, Can Can, etc. Etc.
  • Liseberg ‘quietly’ replace the trains for Banen
  • Asterix begin retracking for Tonnere

Colossus despite it’s roughness is a park icon for Thorpe and deserves a lot more than what it gets. The park ‘should’ take pride in it by adding new trains, effects and giving the whole area a ‘massive clean’, repaint and thematic elements. 

‘However’ the park management don’t see this as necessary  as it ‘apparently’ can’t be seen as worthwhile or marketable. So they invest their money better in other things like ‘gimmicky’ events, ‘short term’ attractions and other things that the park didn’t really need.

But ‘oh’, it’s clearly paying off for them when 90% of their customers are complaining about ride unavailability, comfortability and the ‘supposed’ future of Loggers Leap returning (if only). And yet they wonder why numbers are doing so badly compared to other places?

Don’t worry everyone, I’m sure they know what they are doing, so they will probably raise prices yet close more shops, restaurants and attractions when it’s not ‘super peak’.

“Four months of Rumba operation” you say!

I believe the main issue with new Intamin trains is that they're wider than Colossus' are currently. So for Thorpe to introduce new trains (which make a noticeable difference to the ride experience), they would need to make station alterations, lift hill alterations, new clearance testing, etc. On top of this, new style trains on track designed for old trains could significantly alter the ride experience in unpredictable ways, so it may not even make a difference.

In other words, new trains would cost a significant amount of money (we are talking literally millions, probably more than Thorpe have spent in the past 2 years combined). And there's a, albeit small, risk it may not make any difference. 

Of course, that doesn't mean there's not stuff Thorpe could do. They just have to think a bit outside the box to come up with an alternative way to improve the ride experience. But sadly, they won't put the energy into that.

Frankly, the best thing for Colossus would be to tear it down and build something new. But again, ain't never going to happen...

I know everyone loves an excuse to bash but is colossus really that bad? 

It went through a stage of being pretty awful -

and of course the restraints are not be the best design but it’s hardly unridable - especially in the last 2/3 years the trains are noticeably smoother IMO.

Personally I think there are better things the park could spend the money on. There are rides out there which run much rougher!

27 minutes ago, Marc said:

I know everyone loves an excuse to bash but is Colossus really that bad? 

and of course the restraints are not be the best design but it’s hardly unridable - especially in the last 2/3 years the trains are noticeably smoother IMO.

Personally I think there are better things the park could spend the money on. There are rides out there which run much rougher!

It does need some money spent on it though, this season they were using tape to hold the padding in on the seats on the back row.

But agree with you it’s not unrideable and it’s not as rough as it used to be

11 minutes ago, Ringo said:

It does need some money spent on it though, this season they were using tape to hold the padding in on the seats on the back row.

But agree with you it’s not unrideable and it’s not as rough as it used to be

I agree it does need money spent on it - the issue with things like tape around the seats isn’t new though nor unique to Colossus (see Saw / Smiler!) - I’m not sure if it’s a budgetary thing or a time thing. 

11 minutes ago, ChiapasC. said:

Yes, yes is it! ;)

Ha you’d love Baco ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 11:42 AM, Cedar Creek said:

*Meanwhile Elsewhere*

• Efteling re-tracks Python (despite not being that rough)
  • Phantasialand re-imagines River Quest (with new theming, effects and soundtrack)
  • Europa continue improving and reimagining attractions I.E Madame Freudenrich, Can Can, etc. Etc.
  • Liseberg ‘quietly’ replace the trains for Banen
  • Asterix begin retracking for Tonnere

Colossus despite it’s roughness is a park icon for Thorpe and deserves a lot more than what it gets. The park ‘should’ take pride in it by adding new trains, effects and giving the whole area a ‘massive clean’, repaint and thematic elements. 

‘However’ the park management don’t see this as necessary  as it ‘apparently’ can’t be seen as worthwhile or marketable. So they invest their money better in other things like ‘gimmicky’ events, ‘short term’ attractions and other things that the park didn’t really need.

But ‘oh’, it’s clearly paying off for them when 90% of their customers are complaining about ride unavailability, comfortability and the ‘supposed’ future of Loggers Leap returning (if only). And yet they wonder why numbers are doing so badly compared to other places?

Don’t worry everyone, I’m sure they know what they are doing, so they will probably raise prices yet close more shops, restaurants and attractions when it’s not ‘super peak’.

“Four months of Rumba operation” you say!

Mr Creek, why not jut go if it angers you that much. That's what I do and it does the world of good.

On 12/20/2018 at 12:22 PM, JoshC. said:

In other words, new trains would cost a significant amount of money (we are talking literally millions, probably more than Thorpe have spent in the past 2 years combined). And there's a, albeit small, risk it may not make any difference. 

We've seen the difference that new restraint systems can do to Vekoma SLC's and most Vekoma loopers so yes, a new restraint system could make a difference and are we saying that intamin, the company that are the ultimate in trying things outside the box and doing something daring, aren't able to adapt a train style to fit Colossus's track. This is small fry compared to the flash in the pan, one time rides that were Furius Baco or Tornado at Bakken train systems.

On 12/20/2018 at 12:44 PM, Marc said:

I know everyone loves an excuse to bash but is Colossus really that bad? 

Colossus isn't that bad at all. Reality is it is something people moan about and Colossus remains one of Thorpes busiest rides despite newer and better things being there 17 years on. This is all down to the cumbersome trains and outdated ride system. 

Colossus is not a nice ride experience but it's a thrilling coaster, best enjoyed with gritted teeth. I can see why people hate it, but if you go in knowing what to expect it's still a fun ride.

Some new trains are much needed in the future, the faff and lack of room seriously slows down loading and is very uncomfortable, but this was a design oversight from the start really. Would be very wise of Thorpe Park to commission new trains, even if it cost a lot to prototype them, if they want the ride to continue for decades to come.

Or would the ride have had its day in 15-20 years anyway? Since it was only really designed to break the record and shift Thorpe Park to a thrill park, which it's well known for now and could maybe use the space for a better looping coaster? It's worth a few more years though I'm sure!

On 1/2/2019 at 6:05 PM, Mark9 said:

We've seen the difference that new restraint systems can do to Vekoma SLC's and most Vekoma loopers so yes, a new restraint system could make a difference and are we saying that intamin, the company that are the ultimate in trying things outside the box and doing something daring, aren't able to adapt a train style to fit Colossus's track. This is small fry compared to the flash in the pan, one time rides that were Furius Baco or Tornado at Bakken train systems.

It certainly could make a difference, and in fact it probably would,, butere is a small chance that it could not. And usually it's impossible to predict with certainty what difference it will make.

I also don't doubt Intamin's capability to do it, but I do question Thorpe's willingness to do so, given the large amount of money it would cost.

• 5 weeks later...

Despite being the Colossus project page, the information on that website, and leaflet linked are for the new version of the 10-looper (like Altair at Cinecetta World in Italy). I can't remember if it's the case or not, but I believe the track is slightly different between the two versions, with the newer version being slightly wider - hence the reference to track width.

It's not that it's not possible to get new trains, but the cost involved is significant - it's not just buying the new trains, it's modifications to the station, maintenance area, etc. It all adds up, and at a time when Thorpe seem to spend minimal amounts. On top of that, as the trains are designed for new track and usually cable lift hills, Intamin would have to custom make them, meaning the cost is significantly more than 'just' buying new trains.

34 minutes ago, Cedar Creek said:

I like the idea of new trains on Colossus as it could make the ride more enjoyable and pleasant, especially as the park’s original ‘thrill’ Icon. 

But lets face it, there’s a higher chance of the ride getting demolished or abandoned than this ever happening. 

Unless I want it completely rebuilt, just like Altair!

• 2 weeks later...

The latest winter update reveals that the water underneath Colossus has been infilled, which is giving engineers easier access to the supports around parts of the ride.

I imagine something like that isn't exactly cheap. And regardless of what they do, it'll look nicer than the murky water underneath areas like the vertical loop that was there in the past.

Infilling land is pretty cheap due to the vast amount of soil that is dug up and needs disposing of. 

Infilling that bit of land will simply be because of the need to check the columns for fatigue and previously it was difficult to do so. Merlin wouldn't waste money retracking Colossus as it would bring no financial benefit to the company. If anything I think it suggests Colossus's days are numbered as maintenance costs are on the rise as more items need checking regularly.  

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...