Colossus

Adam J

Thorpe would have got a company to supply a design for the track segments. Taziker would produce fabrication drawings which the designer would check. Taziker would then manufacture to the fabrication drawings. The steel would be inspected at the factory and then delivered to site.

It is possible that it is Tazikers fault as working with them previously we have had errors (no more than any other supplier). I think its more likely the survey or design was wrong. 

Is tomorrow a closed day too, cause if so they could probably get the coaster up within a week if everything goes to plan!

Looks like I will be able to go on Colossus when I go on the 30th! LETS GO!! I know the coaster get a lot of hate because of the god awful trains (which is justified) but it's not a bad ride by any means.

It fits!!! Haha yes, good to see her back in one piece. Hopefully they can get testing underway soon and the ride back open!

Doesnt half stand out like a sore thumb given the rest of the track looks so tired! 

Hopefully Thorpe bite the bullet next year and do the rest properly once exodus opens 

• 4 months later...

In some interesting news, Scott from Your Experience Guide was told on a lift hill climb that Colossus is getting a technical upgrade for 2024 that will result in restraints being able to be released individually. This will mean that when a rider doesn't fit or needs their restraint adjusting, their restraint can be released on its own as opposed to the current situation where every restraint on the train needs releasing and rechecking.

This should really help to improve throughputs on Colossus, as by my observation, the constant need to release and recheck all restraints due to guests not fitting or restraints needing to be adjusted is one of the biggest bottlenecks that's hamstringing the ride's throughput at present.

Source:

(Go to 2:55 if the timestamp doesn't work)

That's good to hear, agreed its not uncommon for all restraints needing to be rechecked on Colossus so that should seriously improve its throughput

I wonder if this also means they won't have to lift up all the restraints for every dispatch? That's an absolute faff on quieter days.

On another note it was great to hear the original area music and original dispatch audio being played in the station the other week. What a difference that made 

I’m still not sure about thorpes approach to Colossus. Yes it’s good to see they are taking care of it with the retracking and this new possible change to the restraints but surly it would have just been easier to get now trains. I don’t even think we need lap bars, just something other than the restrictive OTSRs with no leg room that we have now.

• 1 month later...

In an update, the park have confirmed they're repainting parts of the ride over this and next winter, as well as replacing sections of tracks. So presumably they're committing to replacing sections of track which need it, and then repainting the rest so it all looks largely the same.

https://twitter.com/ThorpeParkMania/status/1724477605854781893?t=BZRA2KTVbdy3t_nA8qtucw&s=19

They also confirmed it’s getting a major PLC upgrade so that fits in with the rumours about being able to unlock individual restraints. I’d be surprised if it’s able to unlock one bar at a time without also major works on the train but maybe one “car” at a time?

That said they can already unlock 2 rows at a time on Inferno but they still recheck all bars after unlocking 2 rows - but that’s more a recent policy thing than anything.