Music

Phill

Hipster alert... ;) I joke, I joke, but I do know the feeling, just got to find a new song that nobody'll know about and move on from it. God I remember how 'Someone Like You' went from meaning so much to meaning absolutely nothing once a million other people were crying themselves to sleep with it. For some unknown reason, I'm more protective of my ballads; I like them to be personal on more than just an empathetic level, so if I ever share a ballad here peoples, FEEL PRIVILEGED. :) But for now here's a random song I like listening to lotsies because it's by a rather lovely lady:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wJxAuduE_E&ob=av2nBecause I feel all summery.Interestingly, I also get annoyed when I hear great music come out of a bad sound system, so for me, I listen to my music with either my phone (Dolby Mobile and SRS Enhancement, baby!), iPod or my CD player when I can be bothered to buy an album/burn off a CD. Laptop's speakers just aren't good enough for my musaaac. :D

Ok guys so today I got nero's album and wow, just wow. Its epic, phenomenal even. A landmark in dubstep / dnb / electronica, great british music but the sad thing is - this stuff is getting unheard, over taken by all this untalented, autotuned pop crap. Sigh.

Unheard?http://www.theofficialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/3/2011-08-27/Indeed. It seems like anyone thinks they can spin that practically age-old argument about "Good Stuff Going Unheard" when really, the Album Charts have never been as tainted as the Single Charts in terms of flash-in-the-pan pop pap. How else did Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire, Iron Maiden, Phil Collins, and Arctic Monkeys reach the Album Charts summit in the past twelve months?

Unheard?http://www.theofficialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/3/2011-08-27/Indeed. It seems like anyone thinks they can spin that practically age-old argument about "Good Stuff Going Unheard" when really, the Album Charts have never been as tainted as the Single Charts in terms of flash-in-the-pan pop pap. How else did Foo Fighters, Arcade Fire, Iron Maiden, Phil Collins, and Arctic Monkeys reach the Album Charts summit in the past twelve months?

Actually yeah, I was mainly thinking about the radio and singles charts but then I heard radio one.... :closedeyes:Edit - AND WOOOOOOPPP NEEEERROOOO ATTTTT NUMMMBBEEEER OOOOONNNEEEE!!!!!!

The UK iTunes charts are very good. Most of the music that tops the charts comes from the US but yet its harder for UK artists to cross-over into the US. A lot of the music from the US that tops the UK charts are generic dance music.There are some generic dance songs I like, such as On The Floor by JLo and I Gotta Feeling by the Peas. But I just hate how lazy some artists and bands get. Pop gets such a bad name for itself, but when you have artists like Katy Perry singing about Califonia Gurls and wanting to see your Peacock and Ke$ha singing about the stuff she sings about, how can you blame anyone. Hip-Hop, people think is all about money, cars, getting "bishes" and boasting about stuff they don't have or claim to have. But the lyrics to a lot of good Hip-Hop from Lupe Fiasco, JayZ, Kayne West, Lil Wayne and Eminem are good music. Nicki Minaj is over-rated but she and her music are / can be quite interesting and fresh. R&B/Soul, Jazz, Rock/Alt Rock and Country are the only music that seems to have any credability.

Rock/Alt Rock are the only music that seems to have any credability.

Nah, several cookie cutter bands are starting to really appear... YouMeAtSix (which is an AWFUL name) I think started this off... Now they're ALLLL at it...Hell, even most Metal bands can be considered similar, Evanesance, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil are all the same at the end of day near as dammit... I think it's just a music thing...

YouMeAtSix aren't even that good. I have only heard about them because they covered Gaga's Poker Face. The singer wasn't good and couldn't sing the chorus properly.I mean, there's nothing wrong with fun party music that Ke$ha and Katy Perry do, but its gotten to a point, that it is so generic and the-same, that there's no substance or good lyrics to the songs. I'd like to see dance songs or party song with good lyrics or catchy lyrics.I'd also like to hear songs with funny lyricsSpeaking on Pop music, I like Marina and the Diamonds; she makes brilliant pop music and the ideas and concepts are smart and well-thoughtout. She writes her own songs and she has a unique voice. I didn't think she had good vocal ability, until I saw her in the US on the David Letterman show, performing I Am Not A Robot.Her second album looks to be a mixture of what she had done before and mainstream music but keeping in line with her concepts and ideas on American Ideologies and the decay of yourself to fame. She's been seen with JayZ, Dr Luke (Katy, Ke$ha, Britney) and Stargate (Rihanna, Nicole Scherzinger, Chris Brown, Alexis Jordan).I like Ellie Goulding, La Roux, Marina, Natalia Kills, Porcelain Black, Robyn...all alternative pop artists. They don't have brilliant voices, but they write their own songs and are smart females that don't rely on their sex appeal and good looks to get somewhere.

Edited by Will