Music

Phill

Just came back onto this forum after god knows how long and finding that this makes a pretty interesting read.I think that the way dubstep is defiened has become less apparent as the genre has progressed. It makes me cringe when I see people using "dubstep" as a byword for any EDM with sub and low-mid range bass sounds. How is it defined anyway? 140bpm with lots of bass, UK Garage was doing that years before dubstep was coined, and the whole "Brostep" thing is such rubbish. Theres enough sub genre malarkey in Dance as there is and I haven't ever seen it used in a positive light, might as well just call it "piss" and have done with it.Kind of upsets me when I see people base their whole opinion of a genre on one badly produced track, that goes for all kinds of music.Noisia, Koan Sound and Culprate have been pushing some really innovative stuff so big thumbs up for them.

:P

I only mentioned it because it seemed like the right moment :P Tbh Dubstep is a load of samples put together with a beat, but for some reason it sounds really good. In a strange way you could argue how plucking strings that make different notes in a particular order is music too :D I would really like to see Electronic music of all kinds become more popular because with it being played in clubs and dance venues worldwide, it seems weird that the general public (of my age at least) never seem to listen to this genre very much!

For the last 15 or so years electronic music has been hugely popular, I doubt people are buying stuff they are not listening too! What dance music is evolves constantly, as it does to an extent with every genre. The first record I ever bought was

Which seems dated as hell now but was cutting edge underground at the time and was one of the first club style dance records to go mainstream. Since then stuff that is tried and tested in the clubs will occasionally break through if it is good enough.Top 20 Singles Of 2011

01 SOMEONE LIKE YOU - ADELE 1,242,000

02 MOVES LIKE JAGGER - MAROON 5 FT CHRISTINA AGUILERA 1,043,000

03 PARTY ROCK ANTHEM - LMFAO FT LAUREN BENNETT AND GOONROCK 995,000

04 PRICE TAG - JESSIE J FT BOB 981,000

05 WE FOUND LOVE - RIHANNA FT CALVIN HARRIS 902,000

06 GIVE ME EVERYTHING - PITBULL FT NE-YO, AFROJACK AND NAYER 866,000

07 GRENADE - BRUNO MARS 852,000

08 THE A TEAM - ED SHEERAN 801,000

09 ROLLING IN THE DEEP - ADELE 798,000

10 ON THE FLOOR - JENNIFER LOPEZ FT PITBULL 784,000

11 JAR OF HEARTS - CHRISTINA PERRI 669,000

12 S&M - RIHANNA 643,000

13 WHEREVER YOU ARE - MILITARY WIVES AND GARETH MALONE 631,000

14 BORN THIS WAY - LADY GAGA 625,000

15 THE LAZY SONG - BRUNO MARS 618,000

16 BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE - CHRIS BROWN FT BENNY BENASSI 588,000

17 CHANGED THE WAY YOU KISS ME - EXAMPLE 582,000

18 I NEED A DOLLAR - ALOE BLACC 576,000

19 SWEAT - SNOOP DOGG 558,000

20 WHAT MAKES YOU BEAUTIFUL - ONE DIRECTION 540,000

I'd say a good half of that is electronic music, and even the ones which aren't invariably have remixes. I know a lot of people who bought rolling in the deep purely for remixes, my favourite being

When I was a kid electronic, or dance music really was underground:

Top 20 Singles Of 19881. Faith - George Michael 2. Need You Tonight - INXS 3. Got My Mind Set On You - George Harrison 4. Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley 5. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses 6. So Emotional - Whitney Houston 7. Heaven Is A Place On Earth - Belinda Carlisle 8. Could've Been - Tiffany 9. Hands To Heaven - Breathe 10. Roll With It - Steve Winwood 11. One More Try - George Michael 12. Wishing Well - Terence Trent d'Arby 13. Anything For You - Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine 14. The Flame - Cheap Trick 15. Get Outta My Dreams - Get Into My Car - Billy Ocean 16. Seasons Change - Expose 17. Is This Love - Whitesnake 18. Wild - Wild West - Escape Club 19. Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard

Not an electronic track in sight. :P

In a previous life when I was young and down wit da kids I used to be a DJ, mainly house, trance and early mainstream garage stuff. I would forever be getting things on 12" I fell in love with and couldn't understand why it wasn't in the charts, then 1 or 2 years later it would appear all over the radio and be a hit because to get in the charts it had t be released properly - there were no instant digital downloads, without the weight of promotion behind it nothing could be a hit because the physical units to be sold had not been produced. It happened with this, which was knocking around for a good year before it charted, and is still one of my favourites

It still happens sometimes now, I could never understand how this didn't go mainstream a few years back

Then J-Lo had a warble over it this year and it turned out the masses were ready for it. Nowadays It will always be the case with digital downloads that if enough people like something it will chart. If it's not good enough, it won't.

Everyone always thinks they are right, music they listen to is the best and can't understand why everyone else doesn't agree. There's someone somewhere right now listening to some thrash metal not comprehending why the rest of the world thinks it is just awful awful noise, even though it really is just awful awful noise.

I believe this to be the most beautiful recording ever made, in my head everyone who doesn't agree is clearly wrong

:P Gives me shivers.

If that recording was made today at would be a hit overnight, I'm sure of it. But in those days downloads didn't exist and no one ever released it, so it has never been in the chart and many people don't know it at all. Such a shame.

EDIT: I'm getting rather pissed off with nothing I ever do embedding anymore. I always used to until the change and other people seem to be able to manage it. What am I doing wrong?

I really love this song. The general opinion of the song is very broad and has mixed opinions but I for one love the original by Samuele Martini and Amanda Wilson, the remix by Tim Berg and the extended cut by Avicci. Tim Berg/Avicci/Tom Hangs which ever one you prefer, is a great DJ IMO and I am very fond of all the songs I have heard by him. I've known of this song for quite some time and really like it, so I think it deserves to come in here for a bit of recognition after all this chat about Electronic music :P

Knife Party, two ex-Pendulum members released their latest collaboration with Swedish House Mafia today for download, just can't help but have a feeling Knife Party are going to be BIG in 2012 after what they've produced already in their 100% No Modern Talking EP. And now this. :ninja:

And then there's this Dub... wow.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idHWOG2yRMw