Music

Phill

I tend to like most music, quite a chunk of it is Country, but personally I can only properly concider people "Artists" if they actually make the music. So songwriting, playing the instruments, (excluding effects like reverb) singing without vocal minipulation, control over their music/brand and how they are presented.

Heres a nice few...

Amusingly, there's clear signs to my ears that there's a bit of vocal manipulation going on in that first track! Although I have no idea who that guy is and don't doubt he is quite capable of knocking out a tune without it.

I pretty much agree with your criteria but there are plenty of exceptions to the rule. Like Elton John who admits to being pretty unable to write a lyric but has something of knack for a tune, and there are some truly skilled vocalists who don't play instruments but do everything else.

Country music, along with Opera, I find very hard to enjoy, although I can appreciate it if you know what I mean. Anything else I can get into, apart from thrash metal - that's just noise.

It bugs me massively when everybody says that, because quite frankly its not true, if you look at the songs that arn't mainstream here. To be fair it is her primary subject she is interested in, but here are two examples off top of my head, Long Live (created for fans) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwsSvU2oNrg, Mean (about a critic) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFV6IkLx3Wc . But those songs are Country, so you will never see them over here unless its some obscure channel. Her current Pop'ing/'Urban'ing up kinda depresses me though, she was good at what she was doing, not so much this.

either

You have limited the songs, or type of music, you are looking at. I was talking about her well known stuff. The mainstream stuff sells, so if a song is not mainstream then the majority of people are not going to have heard of it, are they? For example, some of her most popular songs are either about falling in love (Romeo and Juliet, or whatever it is called) or breaking up, e.g.that appalling WE ARE NEVER EVER EVER, GETTING BACK TOGETHER! (Possibly one of the WORST songs I have ever heard).

People won't see her as original if that's all that ever becomes popular. This isn't her fault,and she's clever for realising what sells. But she's not only going to stick to whatever she wrote about in her less popular songs, because that won't make her any money. Therefore she will (probably) continue to be less original as that is what people (not me though, lol) want to hear. Yes, she is original in that she is writing her OWN material, but she is NOT original in that she just writes about the same thing over and over.

In the last two years, I've really begun to take a strong interest in 4 of these upcoming artists.

Natalia Kills, who was signed by Will.I.am and is releasing her 2nd album in the Summer. Her best song is called Mirrors and she makes a lot of dark-sounding, pop music. She works with Jeff Bhasker (fun, Kanye West) and Emilie Haynie (Lana Del Rey)

Neon Hitch, a gypsy who is known for her songs F U Betta and Gold (written by Bruno Mars) works with Greg Kurstin (Lily Allen, Pink, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Britney Spears). Randomly, someone I know from work, is actually good friends with her, surprise, surprise.

Sky Ferreira, who has worked with Shirley Manson of Garbage as well as pop producers, 'Bloodshy & Avant' (Most famous for Toxic by Britneyy Spears) and has some really good songs like One, Obsession, Elevator, Red Lips and Everything Is Embarrassing.

Porcelain Black, US female solo artist who went under the name of Porcelain and the Tramps was known for making industrial-sounding music and has finished making an album which is due in the summer. She is working with and was discovered by my favourite producer, RedOne of Lady Gaga, Jennifer Lopez and Nicki Minaj.

What I really respect are 'artists' who write their songs and have creative control over their music, as opposed to other Popstars, who rely on songwriters to write their 'hits'. Seeing artists like Adele, Janelle Monae, fun, Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran writing their own songs, maintains my faith in this industry.

Sky and Natalia Kills are amazing, Sky is one of those artists that hasn't found her genre/style yet. I mean the Ghost EP is like 2 different artists which is good and I like the fact her style is so different, Cant wait for the debut album to drop later this year. One of my favourite Sky songs is Seventeen, her older stuff is so good. Natalia's album comes out so soon as well 'Trouble', can't wait for it too drop as well.

Current obsession is Haim, there getting pretty big. Its a sister act from California; there's Danielle, Este and Alana Haim, each play different instruments and all sing. They have a rock,R&B, 80s/90s vibe. I saw them last year live and there amazing. Going to see them again this year to their sold out gig in London. Falling and Forever are my favourites.

Another artists I've become obsessed with last year are; Nina Nesbitt, the female scottish singer songwriter. Who I again saw last year and seeing on tuesday, Charli XCX who's a kind of dark pop artist with debut album True Romance out in April and Bastille which have become hugely successful this year with Pompeii and debut album Bad Blood.

What do people here think of Justin Timberlake's return after all these years?

I was a little surprised to hear about it first, but I'm glad to see he's back. The Shirt & Tie track is good, but a classic Timberlake-type song from yesteryear, takes me back to the Cry Me A River chart days. Would be good to see him try something new.

Really like Shirt and Tie, didn't even realise it was him for a while.

But the new one is dull, sounds like a music by numbers from his last outing. I'm not sure it even has a melody, if it has it hasn't managed to find its way in to my head yet and I've heard it a ton of times.

Does anyone like Gabrielle Aplin? :wub:

Do you mean fancy her or like her music?

Both! :P

I first read about her in the Evening Standard before hearing the tune on the John Lewis advert before Christmas!

In other news, I wish Skrillex would release some more music! I know he teamed up with ASAP Rocky for the recent tune. But I really can't get enough of his unique insane approach to what he pumps out! And I also want more from Knife Party, although I've heard a lot of their stuff online!

Do you mean fancy her or like her music?

Both! :P

I first read about her in the Evening Standard before hearing the tune on the John Lewis advert before Christmas!

In other news, I wish Skrillex would release some more music! I know he teamed up with ASAP Rocky for the recent tune. But I really can't get enough of his unique insane approach to what he pumps out! And I also want more from Knife Party, although I've heard a lot of their stuff online!

Both! I've been listening to her for about 2 years now and I'm really glad she's getting the recognition she deserves, I've met her twice on tour and seeing her in 10 days, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited!

Really like Shirt and Tie, didn't even realise it was him for a while.

But the new one is dull, sounds like a music by numbers from his last outing. I'm not sure it even has a melody, if it has it hasn't managed to find its way in to my head yet and I've heard it a ton of times.

I really really like "Mirrors" - I think it's a brilliant pop tune, got nothing against JT at all, comes across as a likeable chap! :D Think his performance was the highlight of The Brits, other than Taylor Swift's outfit change and boots :wub:

Friday's news of Justin Bieber's meltdown - gotta feel a little sorry for him, mainly for paparazzi's being the morons they are. It's a shame he's come here to England and it's all gone pear-shaped for him, who can blame him for Friday's actions after the week he had last week. Glad to see a lot of people are out in support of him too.

In other news, really enjoying the ongoing comeback of Maroon 5. We've had 2 singles from them in nearly a year now, and what cracking singles indeed. This is a band I enjoyed nearly a decade ago, with the likes of This Love and She Will Be Loved. They've come back and are still sparkling, plenty of miles left in them yet and I look forward to it all!

Madness concerts should always happen.

Television centre should never be closed. It is a travesty and the only reason there has been no outcry is its demise is a positive for the owners of our 'free' press so it has barely had a mention. This is something we will all regret in a very few years, just wait an see. Disgraceful.

It's a shame it's closing, but unfortunately we and the Beeb need to move forward with the times - something this country is sometimes afraid of doing. The building is an icon, a legend - call it whatever you want. Many celebrities have spoken about it's closure (Danny Baker this week was a tremendous example), and although the majority of us don't want it to go, it is. Shame, yes. I'm already missing those Live and Kicking titles, here's one from 1999:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyGakD1Gh_I