Music

Phill

Bit of a long post here about a group who have been quite important to me who I loved very much. So read if you wish. :)

Swedish House Mafia broke up yesterday after their final show at Ultra in Miami. They announced the break up in mid-2012, and were quite short lived if you consider they released their first song in 2010 and last song in 2012.

I remember hearing their first song 'One' when I was on holiday on the south coast in the Summer of 2010, I can remember it was Vernon Kay on the radio who played it and he was saying how 'they were going to be huge, something to look out for over the years' etc... How right he was. It was one of them songs which just instantly clicked with you and you knew it was good.

I've followed what they've done & loved them ever since really and it's quite amazing that they managed to get so much out of what they did in so many countries without having to sort of.. 'water their music down' like quite a lot of electronic artists will do these days in order to make it more pop-like just to get the public liking it and into the charts.

The trio that are SHM went on to have multiple hits, with pretty much everyone now knowing who they are... One, Miami 2 Ibiza, Save The World, Antidote, Greyhound, and then finally Don't You Worry Child; being the complete set of songs they produced.

I will miss them and I'm sure even if you're not a huge fan a lot of people have enjoyed some of their music over their short time in existence.

tumblr_mk7al3Pz0g1qj0qb1o1_500.gif

tumblr_mk7nsltDNr1qbqzbqo1_500.jpg

:(

Though hey... Maybe they will reform one day, anything can happen; who knows. :P

:wub:

I've listened to 2 editions of the 10pm to midnight show on Radio 1 this week. I'm really getting into this. Phil and Alice are fantastically entertaining, the banter is great, and they come up with some quality tunes!

I used to think "get off the air" when I heard Phil fill in on a Sunday morning slot sometimes, but now I regret that!

One thing which *really* frustrates me in the music industry is when people outright and obviously take part of a song from somebody, and either just cut it up to make it less obvious, or add lyrics onto the top of the track with no credit given to the artist who has produced the original track.

WHY in a world where we have SO many talented musicians and a spectrum of music like never before, with so many genres and styles; do some of the most creative people in the industry decide to copy or steal from somebody else.

will.I.am & Chris Brown have recently released their song "Let's Go" (Yes same name as the Calvin Harris track, different song), and it is an almost identical clone to the song "Rebound" by Mat Zo & Arty, signed to label Anjunabeats... A well known trance/house/progressive house Electronic Dance Music label. Anjunabeats had nobody approach them asking for permission to use the track, and will.I.am's label released it obviously without being fair, and they obviously didn't know that Anjunabeats own the copyright for the track!

Check out the dislike bar on the video for it below. The ratio of dislikes to likes is more than that of Rebecca Black's "Friday", now that says something doesn't it..!

Go to around 1:20 in the real version of the song, and you can see how will.I.am's version is a rip.

The way this should have been done is the same way Far East Movement dealt with Bingo Players when they wanted to use their song "Rattle."

Rattle was released in late 2011, being a club banger all the way through 2012... It got to late 2012 and Far East Movement wanted to use the backing of the track with their lyrics, so contacted Bingo Players if they could produce the song and have it re-released with both artists names on it.

That's exactly what happened and everyone involved is happy, the song in my opinion wasn't as good as the original, but it was a success for all. - Why can't it always happen like this??

Azealia Banks also annoyed me when she released her song "Esta Noche", which was originally produced by an artist called Munchi, who I love so much. I also adore Azealia's music. The song was good, but she didn't even approach Munchi and ended up in a Twitter feud (typical Azealia) with him because he was sticking up for his rights. She ended up giving him no credit at all, don't think she ever intended to really. :angry:

Just felt I needed to say that because it's in our interest to know that when we purchase music that the rightful artist and label gets the reputation and respect they deserve for what they do. :)

On 4/17/2013 at 5:40 PM, STEALTHDAN said:

I agree Luke_A it's frustrating that a song gets sampled and passed off as their own work and they get the recognition, same situation with the whole Flo Rida 'Good Feeling' who sampled Avicii, even though originally Avicii sampled another song but actually recreated the song it self. On the brightside, 'will.I.can't' (produce) is a singles artist and will barely ship any albums so :)