Music

Phill

Are you actually kidding? At least Gaga shows some progression and takes a different sound with her NEW music, katy perrys Roar sounds like an offcut from teenage dream, so much for the dark mature sound, it's just as teeny bop pop as teenage dream singles.

Please. Gaga jumped on the EDM bandwagon like a leech. You can tell the difference in sound from the TD era and now, listen to the instrumentation. Not denying it's radio friendly, because it is. Applause is hardly ground-breaking or pushing boundaries (although a lot of her fans state otherwise), it's ripped its instrumental off a Kimberly Cole song (not very known) and you can sing the tune to Girl Gone Wild by Madonna just after the hook. Don't know why the 'Little Monsters' are treating it like a god send when it's pretty generic it self. I have more hopes for the content on BOTH albums.

Please. Gaga jumped on the EDM bandwagon like a leech. You can tell the difference in sound from the TD era and now, listen to the instrumentation. Not denying it's radio friendly, because it is. Applause is hardly ground-breaking or pushing boundaries (although a lot of her fans state otherwise), it's ripped its instrumental off a Kimberly Cole song (not very known) and you can sing the tune to Girl Gone Wild by Madonna just after the hook. Don't know why the 'Little Monsters' are treating it like a god send when it's pretty generic it self. I have more hopes for the content on BO

The difference is Gaga never said she was going for a different sound, katy perry did she said she was making dark mature music, don't even trying telling me roar is either of those, it's an off cut from teenage dream era!

Lol the same tired madonna argument, that's so 2011 :lazy: , if were talking about anyones song being a blatant rip off, roar sounds exactly the same as sara barrelies brave and the lyrics are practically identical

The difference is Gaga never said she was going for a different sound, katy perry did she said she was making dark mature music, don't even trying telling me roar is either of those, it's an off cut from teenage dream era!

Lol the same tired madonna argument, that's so 2011 :lazy: , if were talking about anyones song being a blatant rip off, roar sounds exactly the same as sara barrelies brave and the lyrics are practically identical

P!nk once said she was going for a darker sound and then came out with 'So What'. People like you had a meltdown. Then she released her album and the darker, more mature sound was evident with 'Sober', 'Please Don't Leave Me', 'Ave Mary A', 'Glitter In The Air' and 'I Don't Believe You'.

Katy has said her album was darker and more mature, so I'm going to wait until this album comes out. But for now, I'm enjoying the momentary spotlight on her light-hearted pop song - something drastically absent from today's music is the necessity of a simple happy melody, and Katy's giving me what I want, so I like Katy's more.

GaGa's on the other hand is this generic, barely-audible tangle of ideas that effectively says no more than what she said during 'The Fame'. "I live for the applause" recalls the lyrics she had on long-lost album-end tracks of 'The Fame's knee-deep electro-banality e.g. - "Fame, fame, doin' it for the fame, fame". So who is it really who's repeating themselves?

GaGa is good, and she has the capabilities of providing so much more ('The Fame Monster' was flawless, save 'So Happy I Could Die'... and maybe 'Monster'), but instead she's alienated anyone not already a fan on hers, as well as anyone who left the GaGa 4 Da Gayz Bus during the ridiculous pretensions of 'Born This Way'. 'Applause' just doesn't cut the mustard. She's still trying to pretend she's purveyor of innovative, game-changing and exciting music, when really, we all want to hear something a little more exciting than "I live for the applause". I did not wait through 'Born This Way' for her to find her footing and come back with "I live for the applause".

Tbh I have better things to do like enjoying and appreciating good music than sit here arguing with you over who is the better artist

tumblr_mliqayfrFx1sodsldo1_500.gif

Don't be aggressive with your opinions in the first place then...

Are you actually kidding? At least Gaga shows some progression and takes a different sound with her NEW music, katy perrys Roar sounds like an offcut from teenage dream, so much for the dark mature sound, it's just as teeny bop pop as teenage dream singles.

I know Roar is similar to Sara beriles( I think I spelt that wrong) brave but I prefer Roar, I liked applause originally, but now I cant stand how she sings in the verses, its just odd and I prefer her normal voice, its like when Nicki Minaj (who I hate) goes into that stupid Roman zolanski alter ego voice of hers its just annoying tbh.

I don't much care for either of them, but as a radio play pop song to have on in the background the I find the Gaga one more interesting and enjoyable. The Katy Perry one is just bland nothingness that I can't even remember now even though I listened to it about 5 minutes ago.

They are clearly fairly meaningless throw away pop songs, I think to try and take anything deeper from them would be difficult. I'm going to guess hardly anyone will even remember either of these tracks a year or so from now; they'll be the pointless answers on pointless.

This is on the basis of 1 single. Often you hear 'don't let the lead single represent the album' because usually the album's content is usually far superior. The first single is always going to be the most generic/radio friendly in order to create buzz for the album. Just look at this track record.

I.E. Just Dance, I Kissed a Girl, Born this Way, California Gurls

Katy has always been tongue in cheek, if you had seen the teasers on YouTube you would know it's not meant to be taken so seriously. I think you've taken it a little too literal. It's a very similar piano progression (which Sara has acknowledged), yes. Roar was written in March before Brave was even released, although Brave was most likely written before, how would they recreate a song they haven't heard given they have completely different writers and producers? Additionally, it's actually very similar to the piano in Hard Knock Life from Annie if you want to pull that card.

Listen to the instrumentation, the sound it self is different to anything from TD, it's radio friendly, yes, which I've already stated, which is why I think people are drawing on these direct comparisons, but the sound isn't even the same so? :blink: I like Applause, but her cult of Little Monsters act like it's the next world coming and the next wonder of the world. Just wait for the albums and sshh.

Currently have a Major obsession for Ella O'Connor aka Lorde, A 16 year old New Zealand singer-songwriter. Her song Royals has recently become a major hit in the states getting to number 4 and her song Tennis Court was featured on the Wimbledon's Women's Finals. I think she has a great career ahead of her and this is only the beginning. Her debut Album Pure Heroine is out in the states 30th of September and here October 28th.

Royals

Tennis Court

Also Haim's New Single 'The Wire' has to be one of the most hilarious videos of this year.

I saw Knife Party at Reading last night, best live act I have ever seen! It was 90 mins of pure carnage, such good fun. They're doing a show in London in November so if you like them then definitely go see them live, it's an experience not to be missed.

The other incredible acts I saw were Hadouken!, Fall Out Boy, Sub Focus, Dillon Francis (<3), Eminem, Chase and Status, Deaf Havana, Don Broco, Bastille. Such an amazing weekend :D