Computers

Marc

Not heard of your issues before. Your iMac is covered for a year (if it breaks, they'll repair it), you just only get 3 months PHONE support. The best thing to do is to book a place at the Genius bar at the Apple store, and you can explain your problems to them, and they'll sit down with you and diagnosis what's on. If necessary they'll do a repair there and then, and tell you to come back later on to pick it up.Apple customer support is the best of any company, ever, they'll be happy to fix / ask any questions you have. My MacBook was repaired there and then in a heartbeat, no questions asked. http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/

But my local one is a franchise, and they won't be interested in it, I've asked. Closest one is then Regents Street, are you genuinely saying I should only be able to get support 70 miles away by train, and then tube it AND carrying a 10.5kg box?! That is absolutely f**king crap support, I should be able to ring up and get it fixed whenever something goes wrong, get it courier collected. It's happened with any other products that I've had repaired such as my phone and laptop.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can get it courier collected silly, I was going by the assumption the store was the closest. In that case ring up Apple on the support number that came with your Mac, they'll try diagnose it over the phone, and send someone to collect it otherwise. Failing that they'll tell you a place to drop it off that is closer.

Posted ImagePosted ImageA quick look on google suggestions suggests that its obviously quite a big problem with the iMac range of computers. Id call apple, and not give up until you have a solution which YOU are happy with, id also point out that you know its a problem with there hardware, as you have done your research and see that many many people are suffering with the same issues you are. If they still refuse to be of little help, id get somone like watchdog or trading standards, that will soon get you results.

It auto completes = ITS A HUGE PROBLEM.Posted ImageSure you'll disagree now though. Seriously, let the Mac user handle this one. CD's get stuck rarely, cos of the slot loading. It's not a hardware problem, nor a software problem, if you have a Finder relaunch it sometimes doesn't pick up there is a CD in there, and so you cant eject something that it doesn't think is there. Its simple enough to get a disc out, just restart, and hold the mouse button down, and it'll pop right out.Crisis averted.

I've been on hold now for half an hour, waiting for someone to tell me when they can pick my Mac up.What a grand support team you have there Apple.FOLLOW UP EDIT: Just got off the phone to them, and by the looks of it there is nothing I can do - they've given me the excuse that they can only pick up Monday to Friday - and I'm at college those days.Whatever happened to the days of the customer? I remember having my Tosh laptop breaking down and them instantly offering to fix it and rewarrentying the whole laptop for free - I really think the least they could do is offer me a bit more flexibility.

Apple do, if you happen to have registered your computer with applecare. Applecare provides better support than many other services. Hence the price you pay.If everyone had this as a free service, it wouldn't be nearly as good. Its down to the consumer who failed to protect their product with it.Having said that, Seb's computer is new and is entitled to this service for free. So I don't see the issue here, apart from the fact its a little harder to contact anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

I've just downloaded the Beta version of Windows Live Messenger 9 and I must admit I rather like the new look.'Online' status has been replaced with 'Available'. There is a mini news feed at the bottom showing what your contacts have updated. Display pictures are now on the left of the screen rather than the right and its generally a bit snazzier. You can also select a scene now for your page theme rather than just a single colour. Also I've noticed you now have the option with people to 'Block and report as spammer'. Sounds fun :).Print screen of it here.

Its nice, there is more to come too, this is a extremely early build (One of the Milestones I believe). Ive read it will have things such as video conferencing and multi audio conversations (ala skype, all be it in the better MSN quality!). Also the multiple locations sign in will be a huge advantage.

I've got a Toshiba Satellite A200 on Vista. Had it for just approaching a year now, nothing has gone wrong with it and its crammed full of crap and its still running nice and speedy like the day I got it. Picked it up in John Lewis for £499 so in my opinion its very good value for a laptop.All the tech stuff is here.

Dell are also pretty good, they have brilliant support to so if you are unlucky enough to have a problem, you wont go through the hell Seb has with his Mac. Recommended very much!

I'd hardly call one call to the customer support 'hell', even though I was on hold for a long time the assistant couldn't apologize enough, in fact he spent a few hours of his personal time trying to persuade his manager to let me get it Saturday shipped, albeit it didn't go through.All in all, a completely immense piece of kit, 10/10 easily, works near perfectly.