Computers

Marc

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Considering that Mac's are built on a system called UNIX, which has actually never been hacked, no viruses have ever been written for Macs.So it's not about the minority or majority of Mac Users, it's all about hacking and taking control of ones system. This has been easily done with Windows, because its built on MS-DOS.

People write viruses for the largest platform hence why they are malicious software. If you wrote a virus that only affected a minority of users it would be stupid. Therefore the fact that your Mac doesn't get viruses is not that the Mac is superior in anyway it's just the virus numbers are fewer. As Mac's become dominant in the market (take more of a market share) more people will write viruses for Mac's. Then we will see larger Anti Virus software (there are more viruses now you see) for Mac's as well.

Thats bollocks, it it were really that easy for a Mac virus to be constructed, we'd have seen them long ago. Having sold over 6 million Mac's this year, there clearly is a large audience of people who use them.

Yet, for some reason, anti-virus software does exist (http://www.symantec.com/norton/macintosh/antivirus)

It's a pointless piece of software. All the viruses and worms are not around anymore. This also was nothing to do with Apple, this was most probably made by Symantec just to cash in more money.

Macs have vulnerabilities just like any other operating system, for example: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-040915-1449-99which lead apple to release security updates, just like any other operating system:http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/sec...4_(10_3_3).htmlhttp://www.apple.com/support/downloads/sec...4_(10_2_8).html

Lets see when those security updates were released, hmm, 2004, the days of PANTHER, Nobody has panther anymore, or a very very very small minority of Mac users might. All the security flaws and vulnerabilities have been fixed and are no longer an issue with later version of OS X.

Stop silly Mac VS PC crap please, does my head in as much as it does, well yours.I don't care what OS you use, fact is I'm happy with mine. Fact is I don't need to rely on 3rd party antivirusjesuscrap software to use my system on a daily basis. I think the whole "it's because Macs don't have large market share thing" is utter crap. Hackers make viruses for publicity, for kicks, that's what they do. It's for kicks. Imagine the kicks of a wide spread Mac virus. The fundamentals of OS X don't allow for viruses to propagate around like they do on Windows. Yes no system is perfect, but OS X is a damn sight lot more secure than Windows will ever be. Why? Because about 6 years ago they actually started from scratch, whilst Windows still has support for DOS and has become a patched mess.That is all.

Also remember the reason why many write viruses to infect computers. It's to gain details or cause destruction for financial gain/loss for the user. Office PCs have valuable information worth having, home PCs have credit card details etc. Most macs are used for erm.. editing and the crap. What would the guy want to do? OMFGOES I'VE RUINED YOUR PHOTOSHOP SO IT DONT OPEN LOLOLOLOLS!!!!!11?Use common sense :)

Stop silly Mac VS PC crap please, does my head in as much as it does, well yours.I don't care what OS you use, fact is I'm happy with mine. Fact is I don't need to rely on 3rd party antivirusjesuscrap software to use my system on a daily basis.

You said it does your head in but then you went and found a way of having a little dig at Windows anyway. :)

Guys, instead of arguing can we just not live and let live? We obviously all have different views, pissing each other off with them doesn't achieve anything! I swear anytime a Mac is talked about, it's shot down by someone, and the same goes for PC. Really doesn't achieve anything flaming each other..