Marc

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
Windows 7 - BetaA few people ive spoke to have expressed a bit of an interest in this so I thought I would put some stuff up here!Windows 7 is currently under development and is Microsoft's latest operating system following on from Vista. If your a vista user you should recognise alot of the things in 7, which have been refined, tweaked and improved to offer the best and fastest expeence.Pics:Posted Image This is the main Windows 7 desktop, as you can see, apart from the tool bar there's very little difference between this and Vista. One thing they have changed is that the Gadgets are now desktop wide, not just limited to the Sidebar.Posted ImageIf you own a mac, this will more than likely remind you of the Dock! This is the new task bar in Windows 7, text has been removed, icons have been increased in size and the old Windows "Quick Launch" feature has been merged into the task bar. (You will be glad to know the icons do not bounce up and down!)Posted ImageAn improvement to "Show Desktop" which used to sit on the Quick Launch bar. There is now a small tab to the right hand side of your clock, when you hover over this it quickly turns all your open Windows into "Transparent Glass" to give you a peek at your desktop, when you move your mouse from the tab, your windows will re-appear as they were. Clicking on the tab will take you directly to your desktop allowing you to make changes etc where needed!Posted ImageAnother welcome fix in 7 is that the area around the clock has been cleaned up. By default icons which applications try to add are hidden and accessible only by clicking the see more. This can be changed so you can only see those important to you making it much more clutter free!Posted ImageIf you own a mac this will be nothing new to you! Windows 7's toolbar now has a nice little feature called "Jump Lists" This allows you to quickly control certian most used parts of the programs with just a couple of clicks.Posted ImageJump Lists also make an appearance in the Start menu.Posted ImageHovering over a open application will bring up all the open windows, along with lighting anything after your attention. In here, you are able to hover over a window, much like the desktop peek feature which will bring that window to the top of the transparent windows, so you can decide it it warrants your attention from what you are doing!Posted ImageNow, when you drag an application to the top of the screen it will maximise it for you if you wish to do so, no biggie but its certainly usfull sometimes!Posted ImageWindows Media Center has had abit of an overhaul!Posted ImageAs have many applications untouched in years such as Paint and Wordpad!Posted ImageA new feature is "Devices and Printers" this is basically a easy to use device manager.Posted ImageIt helps you diagnose any problems you may be having with any software pretty easily with step by step guides.Posted ImageFinally the Windows Game Explorer has had another overhaul. The biggest addition from this is Windows will now help you keep on top of all them many game updates by managing them for you. Whilst I dont game an awful lot I'm sure that will be a very helpful addition, much improvement over looking all over the net for the latest updates for your new game!Considering its early beta status its very reliable, it runs as good as if not better than Windows XP. Helpfully it wont get the bad reputation vista picked up so early on.Thats all I could think of, there is loads more with networking, home groups etc but didnt want to bore you to much!If there is anything you would like to see ill do it.

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone know anything about making a website?? Its soooo complicated and annoying because everyone keeps giving me different answeres!for example,do I need to pay anything?whats the easiest way to make one?andHow did you guys make TPM so good??(By the way, I'm not looking for any links for things like Freewebs or Piczo. I want a proper website.)

does anyone know anything about making a website?? Its soooo complicated and annoying because everyone keeps giving me different answeres!for example,do I need to pay anything?whats the easiest way to make one?andHow did you guys make TPM so good??(By the way, I'm not looking for any links for things like Freewebs or Piczo. I want a proper website.)

Yes, you will need to pay for hosting and, generally, a domain name.Easiest way is using a WYSIWYG editor, iWeb is good at what it does, but obviously only mac-compatible. WYSIWYG would be easier, as HTML is tricky and takes a long time to learn.TPM (I'm guessing) was made by people familiar with using advanced HTML, and lots of graphics etc. made in (I presume), Photoshop and/or Fireworks, both of which are expensive, though free stuff is out there.

The easiest way to make one is with Freewebs etc. But they are ****. For a 'proper' website (ie. Hosting without banner adverts on all your pages, .co.uk domain name) you will have to shell out some mulah, although it's not that expensive, you can get a .co.uk domain for under a tenner for two years and equally cheap hosting if you're not looking for much storage. Of course this varies depending on what you want the website to do. Take a look at 123-reg.co.uk for example.The time consuming part of course is actually making the website. If you have Microsoft Office then the chances are it came with Microsoft Office Frontpage, if you don't see it installed already then whack out the CD and it might be on there. If not have a Google for a free HTML editor, I'm sure there's probably an alternative around somewhere. Frontpage is good to get started with, it allows you to make a basic page using tables, change bits and bobs about it fairly similarly to Microsoft Word. It's great to fiddle and learn with, however Adobe®/Macromedia Dreamweaver is much better, but costs money. Once you've learnt the basics you might want to start making graphics to move away from a text/image based site, for which you'll need something like Adobe®/Macromedia Fireworks, which is used in creating a large amount of the Graphics for TPM. This costs more money, however G.I.M.P is an excellent free alternative.I find the best way to learn things like this is just to dive in with creating a site, fiddle and see how stuff works. If you have a problem the Google it and there are loads of great tutorials that will help you to make stuff, just takes time to get your head round it all, can be rather overwhelming at first!As for TPM, that's much more advanced than even what I've mentioned above. It uses a combination of Fireworks graphics together with HTML and PHP (Dreamweaver) server side coding, which in turn communicate with MySql databases, amoung other funkay stuff!

"An improvement to "Show Desktop" which used to sit on the Quick Launch bar. There is now a small tab to the right hand side of your clock, when you hover over this it quickly turns all your open Windows into "Transparent Glass" to give you a peek at your desktop, when you move your mouse from the tab, your windows will re-appear as they were. Clicking on the tab will take you directly to your desktop allowing you to make changes etc where needed!"Holy ****, éxpose!

Sorry Peter, I have to tell you, I did consider invisional at one point, but your prices are slightly high. Maybe its just me. Meh

Haha fair enough, we try and benchmark against the bigger companies, but comparing everything is neigh on impossible. Try and find a company of our size or bigger doing unlimited for £50/year though!

• 3 weeks later...