Oblivion

AltonThorpe

• 2 months later...

Though Oblivion doesn't have an amazing layout, it's just the ride experience that makes the ride one of my personal favourites at Alton! I mean, who could miss The Lord of the Darkness going through what riders experience on Oblivion along with the various "acrophobic symptoms", followed by The Lord of the Light's plea for you not to go any further as it "isn't safe", while his darker alter-ego reassures you everything is fine. Not to mention the iconic bass-heavy theme tune in the station! All of this, including boarding and the chain lift, leads up to the very moment you're teetering on that precipice...about to drop into Oblivion! :D

• 2 years later...
26 minutes ago, holtjammy16 said:

Random question, but if I'm right in thinking Oblivion will stop about a 3rd way through the curve at the top of the lift if the next block isn't clear or if there's a breakdown, what stops it when there doesn't seem to be anything on the track at that point?

There is actually a chain on that curve at the top of the lift which pulls the train, if you sit on the far left and look down at the track you can see it :)

• 9 months later...

When I visited a couple weeks ago Oblivion had the longest queue in the park, as Matt said it was down to only using one loading section. Add to the fact they were also batching and bar checking at let's say Chessington speed, it was rather frustrating, good thing I used my freebie Premium Merlin Annual Pass fast track on it. Does anyone know the reason for only using one loading section in recent times and why they are so slow at dispatching these days, did something happen that's caused change of operations or are they just being silly? As I don't really care for Oblivion these days I'm not really prepared to queue 60 minutes (while Nemesis is 5 minutes) just because operations on it are a shell of what they used to be.

18 minutes ago, Mega-Lite said:

When I visited a couple weeks ago Oblivion had the longest queue in the park, as Matt said it was down to only using one loading section. Add to the fact they were also batching and bar checking at let's say Chessington speed, it was rather frustrating, good thing I used my freebie Premium Merlin Annual Pass fast track on it. Does anyone know the reason for only using one loading section in recent times and why they are so slow at dispatching these days, did something happen that's caused change of operations or are they just being silly? As I don't really care for Oblivion these days I'm not really prepared to queue 60 minutes (while Nemesis is 5 minutes) just because operations on it are a shell of what they used to be.

Less staff needed on just one station. Also more potential to up sell fastrack if people see a 60 min queue vs 10min...

17 hours ago, streetmagix said:

That's disappointing to hear. Both Oblivion and Nemesis Inferno should have great throughputs put Merlin nerf them with poor operations. When I'm at Alton later this week I think I'll skip Oblivion, it just isn't worth a 60 minute queue when you have Nemesis a few minutes walk away.

Oblivion will always be a hit-and-miss; it's similar to the days of AIR. A operation of one station-two trains can save money and bring in a throughput a smidgen under a two station three train operation if you've got a good team. Same for Oblivion, except they seem to enjoy giving it more cars than it needs one one station creating continuous backlogs.

Inferno again, a good ride team can have the train loaded and sent without the trains stopping. But a good chunk of time is wasted by the bag cupboard. You've got lots of little things to consider too; such as two trains cannot transit in the station at the same time, unlike Nemesis which scarily is around a five second delay per ride. You're actual overall load and go time on Inferno is slightly less if you were to compare a full circuit stop-to-stop on both. But mainly recently it has been down to a half-arsed ride team.

• 3 months later...